I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661039 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #405 on: February 05, 2015, 02:28:34 am »

What I hate about the bible, koran.
Is that it attempts to remove you from the fact that you are an animal, you will kill, steal, fornicate, lust, belive in something out there. Its hard wired. Now obvioisly we need selfcontrol for the oh so great society, but does it have to be instilled in you by fear for a punishment of agony and eternity.
You can learn that your thoughts are not you. That your ego is not you.
Seriously, dont change your religion or even your thoughts. Just learn how to meditate.
I could post a guide up if you are willing. But its easily found on the internets.

It takes alot of practice though. You must remember that it is a skill not an ability.
Most people who meditate (personal exp) are just thinking with closed eyes.
Its also not about thinking of nothing, but about realising your thought patterns and looking at your consciousness.

Also if humans have souls so do animals.

This is why I like the Book of Ecclesiastes despite having a low opinion of most of the rest of the bible (except for parts of the gospel for their philosophy, and Exodus, Ezekiel, and Revelations as sources of material for movies).

Ecclesiastes has several passages comparing humans to beasts in a neutral-ish fashion.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #406 on: February 05, 2015, 02:32:38 am »

The Bible is pretty clear that humans are greater than animals. We're described as the greatest part of Creation in several places.

We've also had the souls discussion several times in other threads. There's no basis to assume anything has a soul, other than religious texts stating that they do, and none of them can agree on what has a soul and what the bloody thing is in the first place.

Ecclesiastes is a weird one. I should probably look into that, so we can have a bit more discussion on the topic.

Funny. The only things I need to have a "religious" or "spiritual" experience is the night sky, and the understanding of exactly what it actually is.
The night sky is pretty awesome. Literally awesome, even - in the sense that it inspires awe.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 05, 2015, 02:35:35 am »

((.... I accidentaly read that as LSD through the whole hint and was so confused...))

No, that's distilled religion. Mormonism can't compete with that.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 05, 2015, 02:44:06 am »

The Bible is pretty clear that humans are greater than animals. We're described as the greatest part of Creation in several places.

We've also had the souls discussion several times in other threads. There's no basis to assume anything has a soul, other than religious texts stating that they do, and none of them can agree on what has a soul and what the bloody thing is in the first place.

Ecclesiastes is a weird one. I should probably look into that, so we can have a bit more discussion on the the topic.

Here's the main relevent passage:

"18 I said to myself concerning the sons of men, "God has surely tested them in order for them to see that they are but beasts." 19 For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity. " - Ecclesiastes 3:18-19
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 05, 2015, 02:57:35 am »

Nice quote.

I dislike that the bible says we are gods greatest creation. God must make alot of terrible things.
We arnt perfect its bullshit to say we are.
We are however equal to bacteria and trees.
Perfect ptttf.
Good joke bible. Try to make me think im the best and deserve to go to 'Heaven' so I will follow your scipture and become a little soldier for your pathetic war. Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:59:23 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #410 on: February 05, 2015, 03:22:42 am »

Here's the main relevent passage:

"18 I said to myself concerning the sons of men, "God has surely tested them in order for them to see that they are but beasts." 19 For the fate of the sons of men and the fate of beasts is the same. As one dies so dies the other; indeed, they all have the same breath and there is no advantage for man over beast, for all is vanity. " - Ecclesiastes 3:18-19
Interesting. I'll have to get back to you on that one. I don't really know what to make of it at this point.

I dislike that the bible says we are gods greatest creation. God must make alot of terrible things.
We arnt perfect its bullshit to say we are.
We are however equal to bacteria and trees.
Perfect ptttf.
Good joke bible. Try to make me think im the best and deserve to go to 'Heaven' so I will follow your scipture and become a little soldier for your pathetic war. Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir.
That's not what the Bible says at all. It says that we - humans, every one of us - are corrupt and broken, and that it's our own fault.
We are greater than bacteria and trees in the sense that we are made in God's image. We can think and reason (as many of you here have shown great proficiency at such), and do many other things that bacteria cannot even dream of because they don't have functioning brains.

Of course, such philosophy is irrelevant if you think the Bible is meaningless claptrap. That's perfectly acceptable. I'm not saying this is what you should believe.

In either case, please keep your tone respectful.

E: Apparently my tone got a bit ranty here. Ugh. Hypocrisy galore, it would seem.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 05, 2015, 03:55:04 am »

Sorry orange for my obviously readable tone haha.

How is me being corrupt my our fault,

If god created this place just to make me sin. Seems a round about way of creating things to just discard when you were going to discard anyway

Wise people can give excellent advice but can be living a terrible life themselves. I have proof to this claim

So god, despite being infinately wise seems to be making bad life choices itself...does this sound funny or wrong?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #412 on: February 05, 2015, 04:00:42 am »

Because he wants to.

That's the only answer I can give, really. God does what he does because he wants to.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 05, 2015, 04:11:20 am »

Because he wants to.

That's the only answer I can give, really. God does what he does because he wants to.

There we have it people.
We do what we do because we want to.
Enlightenment doesnt equal happiness, but I can lead to it.

Cue perspirational music

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #414 on: February 05, 2015, 05:31:51 am »

Perspirational?

And on the subject of Ecclesiastes,

"Meaningless! Meaningless! Everything is meaningless" -Ecclesiastes 1:1.

I would be shy of taking it too close to heart.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 05, 2015, 05:40:49 am »

Admittedly quite a good point, however.

At least, assuming one is talking about objective meaning.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 05, 2015, 06:04:51 am »

Perspirational?

Yeah music that makes you sweat.
Music with a beat.
Music that when you play makes you sweat.

And everything is meaningless. Why should it have an aswer.
There isnt really a question..

How good is music though.
No one hates music.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #417 on: February 05, 2015, 06:20:27 am »

How good is music though.
No one hates music.
Sadly, this isn't the music thread.

I don't think we even have a music thread. Huh.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2015, 06:38:40 am »

Is it at all strange to be atheist, yet still believe in souls/spirits and an afterlife? My reasons for disagreeing with mainstream Christianity are mostly emotional and spiritual rather than scientific, so I still have some belief that there's a place beyond life, and an invisible "life force" that makes living things... well, alive. But I don't believe that there's a creator especially invested in our well-being.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 05, 2015, 06:57:23 am »

Is it at all strange to be atheist, yet still believe in souls/spirits and an afterlife? My reasons for disagreeing with mainstream Christianity are mostly emotional and spiritual rather than scientific, so I still have some belief that there's a place beyond life, and an invisible "life force" that makes living things... well, alive. But I don't believe that there's a creator especially invested in our well-being.

Strange, yes. Most like likely correct, yes.
No single god exsists. paradoxes exist within eachother. There are things that are what we would call a god though.
When you die you stop being you. So yes many people are right and that you have one life. They just dont realise they are talking about their egos life.
This mask we make our whole lives to live behind, to be unique. You are a sentient sack of meat that is dying, get over the fear of it and live.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 523