I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661522 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2015, 01:45:33 am »

Yup. Also, God is said to 'breathe life' into ha'adam, but that's an imperfect translation: the Hebrew for 'breath' and 'spirit' is the same, so God put a spirit into ha'adam.

I don't agree exactly with UXLZ, but I believe something similar.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2015, 01:47:23 am »

Seperating themselves from the animals.
UXLZ that was beautifully written.
Im going to go away and contemplate what was said here today and hopefully I can make more sense.
Love That Wolf that killed your legendary adventurer.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2015, 02:14:55 am »

Worth noting is that I'm not actually Christian or even ascribe to these beliefs. It was just an extremely interesting way I discovered of interpreting the Bible and its ilk.

I mean it kinda fits with the Holy Spirit but there are a few bits in the bible specifically speaking about god and his interactions (see Job? IIRC) which mean he's not mans conciliate as but his own entity

That's if you interpret the bible as an entirely literal documentation of events exactly as how they occurred, though.

Can someone quote me the line where God destroys Gomorrah?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2015, 02:21:31 am »

Worth noting is that I'm not actually Christian or even ascribe to these beliefs. It was just an extremely interesting way I discovered of interpreting the Bible and its ilk.

I mean it kinda fits with the Holy Spirit but there are a few bits in the bible specifically speaking about god and his interactions (see Job? IIRC) which mean he's not mans conciliate as but his own entity

That's if you interpret the bible as an entirely literal documentation of events exactly as how they occurred, though.

Can someone quote me the line where God destroys Gomorrah?

It is written:
Quote from: Genesis 19:24-25
And the Lord rained upon Sodom and Gomorrha brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. And he destroyed these cities, and all the country about, all the inhabitants of the cities, and all things that spring from the earth.

Sounds to me that that's as dead as dead can be.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 02:24:03 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2015, 02:29:36 am »

Quote from: Genesis 19:24-25
And the Lord rained upon Sodom and Gomorrha brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven. And he destroyed these cities, and all the country about, all the inhabitants of the cities, and all things that spring from the earth.

Right, so my interpretation of that with this theory would be this:

Their decadence destroyed them. Not in and of itself, but it caused their destruction.
Anyone here seen DBZ? Remember the original explanation for the destruction of Planet Vegeta, that its own good-hearted Guardian destroyed it due to the evil of its inhabitants?

Essentially, this: They were destroyed by the consciousness/humanity that 'God' represents/literally is. It may have been an army led by a kind-hearted leader who wished to see the cities purged. They may have been destroyed from within by some of their own inhabitants who despised them. There are quite a lot of possibilities, actually.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2015, 02:46:10 am »

I say this because we look uniquely different from anything else on this planet because we look like god
Have you ever seen a shaved chimp? They look supremely human. Not entirely human, of course, but... especially the arms.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2015, 03:00:32 am »

UXLZ: I must say your interpretation is very interesting. I'm not sure where to go with it, but it's certainly something worth considering.

I say this because we look uniquely different from anything else on this planet because we look like god
Have you ever seen a shaved chimp? They look supremely human. Not entirely human, of course, but... especially the arms.
Google Image Search confirms this to be mostly false. Depends on how human is "supremely human".
I would have posted one here but I couldn't find one without a massive ballsack visible.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2015, 03:02:03 am »

It kinda' helps (?) that it's not terribly unlikely we killed off or interbred into extinction everything else that did look even more like us than chimps and whatnot. You're pretty likely to be unique if your ancestors murdered everything else that looked like you :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2015, 03:07:04 am »

Well, no-one's seen a Neanderthal for a while...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2015, 03:08:06 am »

UXLZ: I must say your interpretation is very interesting. I'm not sure where to go with it, but it's certainly something worth considering.

Google Image Search confirms this to be mostly false. Depends on how human is "supremely human".
I would have posted one here but I couldn't find one without a massive ballsack visible.

Human enough to say "Yeah, we're related."

Same way you are your cousin are similar looking, even if they don't have a beard or an orange, they might be a lemon or a lime instead.

And maybe they're a programmer instead of a wizard. Either way, they can do magic.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2015, 03:26:08 am »

There's a sixteen gene difference between us and chimpanzees. We're pretty darn close.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2015, 04:04:17 am »

There's a sixteen gene difference between us and chimpanzees. We're pretty darn close.

Another good way of looking at it is that we have 23 chromosomal pairs, and they have 24. 2 chimp chromosomes fused to make one human one. Fascinating reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_2_%28human%29
This is a blank sig.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2015, 10:35:18 am »

In as many words, yes. Religion was useful when people couldn't explain strange phenomena in the world, when people were still afraid of thunder and had no explanation for pork and shellfish killing them, because they didn't know about foodborne illnesses. The problem is, though, if you continue to use a crutch after your legs are healthy, you never really learn to walk.

So am I inherently less curious, less intelligent, or less human because I believe there is a god (which happens to be God)?

Also while I'm here:

The issue I see with UXLZ's theory as they lay it out is that it implies God is within, whereas They (I'm just going to use the gender neutral here) are stated to be without in the Bible. That humanity is in the image of God by our mind I am in agreement with.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:37:23 am by Arx »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2015, 10:36:24 am »

Indeed.

Should I make a Euphoria joke now, or would that be inappropriate?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2015, 10:38:42 am »

Damn. Guess I'll stop all this 'questioning my beliefs' and 'science' and 'caring about understanding the universe' business, then. And I was so looking forward to a lot of it.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 523