I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 660675 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7605 on: November 04, 2023, 11:51:05 pm »

The White House announced Wednesday the administration will develop a National Strategy to Counter Islamophobia in the United States.

If your ideology promotes misogyny, homophobia, pedophilia and many other "good" things...  You will be protected by the state if that ideology includes belief in supernational beings
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: November 05, 2023, 12:07:46 am »

That’s been the case since Amendment 1, brah.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: November 05, 2023, 09:56:52 am »

I fell out of my faith a few years ago and I think I’ve acted pretty intellectually dishonestly with regards to it, but I just can’t bring myself to care; to take up arms and wade into the swamp of figuring out whether Jesus did what was claimed, or establishing the accuracy and relevance of the Old Testament, or the trustworthiness of the Gospels, or any other such thing.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: November 05, 2023, 11:18:15 am »

I fell out of my faith a few years ago and I think I’ve acted pretty intellectually dishonestly with regards to it, but I just can’t bring myself to care; to take up arms and wade into the swamp of figuring out whether Jesus did what was claimed, or establishing the accuracy and relevance of the Old Testament, or the trustworthiness of the Gospels, or any other such thing.

I see nothing dishonest in this. You have no obligation to check if something is true, to "fix" a lack of belief in something.

I can understand why you may feel this way. For a Christian, believing in God is the main element of morality and if your faith wavers it is your moral duty to fight the doubt and bring that faith back. But it really isn't.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: November 05, 2023, 02:45:50 pm »

I was going to say what strongpoint said but then strongpoint said it

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: November 06, 2023, 02:43:44 am »

I'd say something but I know I am an unusual case in that I was an utterly rotten person in my atheist days.

Honestly most atheists I know are probably more moral than I am now. I'm not a good person though I am trying. At least my past self and her actions and ideology lie dead, obliterated. So it's all worth it. Which is part of why I keep my faith: as protection from the militant, deranged arch-pseudo-rationalism of oldMax.

(But I also went through the effort of making my faith coherent by figuring out what to discard and what not which is more thought than most raised-Christians put into it... I don't blame anyone for not doing so. It's draining.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 02:48:40 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: November 06, 2023, 06:56:17 am »

Worries about my morality were the last thing that kept my last theistic views. I was worried that once I become fully convinced that there is no reason to believe in an afterlife in which everything is rewarded or punished, that there is no divine justice or some other kind of karma, that there are no even mandated, pre-created rules of what is good and evil - I will become cynical and cold.

Never happened. I still care deeply about what is just, what is good, and what is honorable.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: November 06, 2023, 07:02:18 am »

To be honest I was kind of a bitch for the first 2 years of so of my conversion so like. It probably wasn't a major factor.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: November 06, 2023, 11:59:14 am »

Worries about my morality were the last thing that kept my last theistic views. I was worried that once I become fully convinced that there is no reason to believe in an afterlife in which everything is rewarded or punished, that there is no divine justice or some other kind of karma, that there are no even mandated, pre-created rules of what is good and evil - I will become cynical and cold.

Never happened. I still care deeply about what is just, what is good, and what is honorable.

Same.

Well, I never worried that I'd lose any sense of morality when I stopped believing, but losing my belief never changed my morality.  Actually, I'd argue it changed for the better.  I stopped splitting hairs over meaningless things and judging people for things that hurt no one.

If you think about it, it's a bit silly to think that religion is the only thing keeping people from twirling mustaches and tying helpless women to train tracks.  A lot of morality is pretty deeply baked into humans being social cooperative creatures, if you want to look at it from a more objective point of view.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: November 06, 2023, 12:42:54 pm »

When you are a theist, your evaluation of the morality of some act is polluted by questions like "Is this good or evil on a cosmic scale of morality? How does God see it? What magical effects will it have on the soul of the one who does it and souls of others?" and other completely meaningless questions which are impossible to answer honestly even if those things exist.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: November 06, 2023, 01:15:54 pm »

Huh? Those are not the questions I ask at all about morality, and I'm a theist.

The questions I ask are more "Why do I behave in ways that are contrary to what I think is moral? Do I really believe these things, given that I don't put them into practice? Do I really think morals are what I think they are?"

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: November 06, 2023, 08:03:48 pm »

Yeah that's a strawman, unless you're talking to a fundamentalist (don't talk to fundamentalists).

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: November 06, 2023, 09:06:44 pm »

Huh? Those are not the questions I ask at all about morality, and I'm a theist.

The questions I ask are more "Why do I behave in ways that are contrary to what I think is moral? Do I really believe these things, given that I don't put them into practice? Do I really think morals are what I think they are?"

Those questions answer seek a different answer. Those are variants of "Why do I not act in a way I consider to be morally right?", my questions are "Is this action moral and why?"

How exactly do you determine the latter?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: November 06, 2023, 09:44:40 pm »

Eh, that’s a flawed question anyway: actions don’t have morality, it’s the intent behind them that matters.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: November 06, 2023, 10:47:36 pm »

Eh, that’s a flawed question anyway: actions don’t have morality, it’s the intent behind them that matters.

While any action could be good or bad depending on the circumstances, some can be seen as just plain immoral for 99.9recurring% of the time.  What makes war crimes immoral for example?  Only when the other side does it?  Or are some actions simply never justified?  And what would those commiting such attrocities have to say about why they do them?

For the more neutral actions, intent absolutely is the main factor in whether something is moral or not.
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 523