I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661584 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7185 on: April 12, 2023, 02:11:04 pm »

its like you were raised by wolfs

Syntax error(s) on line 1

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7186 on: April 12, 2023, 02:33:00 pm »

Its a tv-show which takes place in the midst of struggle between Atheist and Theist society. Where the main protagonist is a guardian angel, an android that can fly, have sonar mapping, shoot lighting from the eyeballs and other cool stuff. Dreams too iirc. Jumped to my head when reading Roland comment in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwyVQmuX2aY
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/RaisedByWolves2020

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7187 on: April 12, 2023, 02:57:09 pm »

Its a tv-show which takes place in the midst of struggle between Atheist and Theist society. Where the main protagonist is a guardian angel, an android that can fly, have sonar mapping, shoot lighting from the eyeballs and other cool stuff. Dreams too iirc. Jumped to my head when reading Roland comment in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwyVQmuX2aY
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Series/RaisedByWolves2020
Omigosh that sounds incredible and the title sequence definitely has my attention, thank you very much!!

executing protect.sh *_*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 03:30:49 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7188 on: April 12, 2023, 03:19:44 pm »

There's one theory that the only one who did exist around the time was Paul, who presented Christ similar to how channels present their...aliens or whatever they think they're talking to. The messiah claimants were common, as they still are today, so Jesus's story might be a conglomeration of several of them, after Paul's teachings got some traction.

Two things were required for the creation of a messiah: poor communication channels, and need.

The Jewish people (or a vocal element thereof) wanted a King of the Jews to fix their society and challenge Rome. So they made one, even one who did not fit the prophecies, and left future interpolators, compilers, transcribers, and editors to rationalise.

I find Max's distinction between rational and spiritual fairly interesting. By my reckoning, faith ought to be rational - even when making unsubstantiated claims, there should be internal consistency. An all-loving God should not act out of hatred or pettiness, and so on.

The flaws and hatreds espoused in religious texts are humanity's fingerprint in the clay of the divine - and, were they transcendent truth, would not be there.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #7189 on: April 12, 2023, 08:21:53 pm »

Oh I do have internal consistency, in fact I feel an internally non-consistent belief system is inherently bad and wrong. What I meant by "not rational" is that there is no real evidence towards it.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7190 on: April 13, 2023, 09:37:33 am »

By my reckoning, faith ought to be rational - even when making unsubstantiated claims, there should be internal consistency. An all-loving God should not act out of hatred or pettiness, and so on.
What do you mean by faith?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7191 on: April 13, 2023, 05:29:10 pm »

Belief and the systems of thought/action which it engenders.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7192 on: April 13, 2023, 07:11:39 pm »

A lot of secular people have faith as well.  Science has even mislead millions of people many times over the years to have faith in incorrect and even harmful views.  It's not limited to the religious by any means, despite it being perhaps the main criticism of religion.

Edit: I'd have to put more thought into it to give a satisfactory definition, but faith might be described as belief in something as being good and worthwhile to pursue and gain more familiarity with, whether via some practice, or activity (such as study).  That can certainly be based on logical reasoning and analysis, but can also be blind.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2023, 07:16:08 pm by Schmaven »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7193 on: April 13, 2023, 11:23:51 pm »

A lot of secular people have faith as well.  Science has even mislead millions of people many times over the years to have faith in incorrect and even harmful views.  It's not limited to the religious by any means, despite it being perhaps the main criticism of religion.

Edit: I'd have to put more thought into it to give a satisfactory definition, but faith might be described as belief in something as being good and worthwhile to pursue and gain more familiarity with, whether via some practice, or activity (such as study).  That can certainly be based on logical reasoning and analysis, but can also be blind.
Weird definition.

There are many definitions of the word faith, as with any complex idea, the same word can describe quite different things. If you want an 'averaged' definition I'd say it "Faith is a firm belief in something for which there is no evidence."

Thankfully, the Bible has its own definition of Faith.
Hebrews 11:1 – “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen

When science gets something wrong, it is not of the conviction of things not seen. It is a wrong interpretation of observations. And real science doesn't assure anything with no evidence. (Pseudosciences do, it is a good method to tell them apart.)

When you trust an authority (like a scientist or a politician)... it is exactly that -  trust. And have little in common with religious faith. Only blind trust in something can be similar to religious faith and even then it is not quite it.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7194 on: April 14, 2023, 01:15:53 pm »

It's more interesting when you realize Science predates the Scientific Method.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7195 on: April 14, 2023, 06:37:34 pm »

Business vs. Religion, time to find out where our current US Supreme Court's sympathies really lie.
https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/supreme-court-showdown-sabbath-change-workplaces-us/story?id=98027258

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7196 on: April 14, 2023, 06:50:44 pm »

Five'll get you ten the answer will be business -- but off the record significantly due to the fact that siding with religion on this one would also be benefiting jews, muslims, etc. The conservative part of that bench is pretty likely to go out of their way to piss on religious observance that isn't christian, and they're entirely aware siding with this guy means non-christians get their piece of that pie, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7197 on: April 14, 2023, 06:59:39 pm »

Sadly, I agree, although Fundamental Christians would salvate at the Sabbath being protected. It'd also fix the problem that Mainstream Christianity has with filling the pews. The Catholics should be lobbying hard for this Religious Exemption, since they need the bodies.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7198 on: April 14, 2023, 07:19:52 pm »

It'd do approximately sod all to fill the pews, though? Just because there's a religious exemption out there, doesn't mean people would take it -- most folks that are currently at jobs open on whatever their preferred holy day is work on those days because they need the money, not because they can't get a schedule without a sunday (or whatever) shift.

If they want the pews to be filled, they need labor protections and welfare and whatnot, not protected leave without pay for religious observance, heh.

E: Well, those things plus for the church leadership to stop being ghoulish antichristian sacks of filth, but, y'know, baby steps. First labor protections, then maybe we can get to things like outlawing child marriage or them not being antichristian assholes.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 08:02:16 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7199 on: April 15, 2023, 05:53:54 am »

Religious faith can have different meanings depending on the context and perspective e.g. for some it is just a way of life or a support system e.g. people who experienced trauma and grief may seek comfort, support from a community, and way to come with terms with what happen and find new purpose possibly like the Ukrainians you mentioned above.

Otherwise how about faith in yourself/spouse/kids? Optimism? Hope?

Your concept of trust and faith seem different on paper (one is confidence in something based on evidence or past experience the other is belief without requiring evidence or proof) but in practice I think they have a lot in common. We know that its not information and understanding that drives the average joe political\ethical belief system, so isn't it fair to say that the vast majority of people political views are faith like blind trust and fallback to familiar dogmatism they were raised on?

I believe that what you really have an issue with is religion resistance to change.

It's more interesting when you realize Science predates the Scientific Method.
More so when people realize our epistemic limitations and how often people claiming facts are widely over-reaching with enthusiastic interpretation. Especially in social science which deals with human emotions and behaviors and involve numerous variables that are often unpredictable or beyond our control.

Many social issues are wicked problems characterized by complexity, uncertainty and lack of clear cut solutions, these include things like poverty or climate change, we all know they exist but we don't know what the best way to solve the, only faith-based approaches that involve subjective perceptions of situation, values, needs and wants.
Pages: 1 ... 478 479 [480] 481 482 ... 523