I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 666712 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6570 on: August 04, 2019, 02:05:17 am »

I wonder what Eriguena would think of the mythology in Kill Six Billion Demons. Since it has the whole division thing going, though it’s closer to a ying-yang type thing with elements of a whole bunch of other religions mixed in.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 02:09:43 am by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: August 04, 2019, 02:10:38 am »

Many of these (temporally contemporary) philosophies cross-pollinated. Take for instance, the obvious facets of gnosticism that borrow heavily from this set of views.

While they all integrated parts of each other, into each other, they all seemed to universally revile each other-- So, my guess is that he would find the comic contemptible, but interesting. :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: August 04, 2019, 02:48:31 am »

His influences were mainly Neo-Platonic. His work is notable in its blending of Eastern Roman and Western Roman philosophies. Based in Frankia under Charles the Bald (I believe Charlemagne's.... grandson?) in a time in which Greek was extremely rarely taught, he translated and incorporated works such as that of the Pseudo-Dionysus. It's part of why his work was considered heretical by some, although amusingly he was only writing because some clerical friends (it's not certain that he himself was a churchman) asked him to wade in to the Gottschalk controversy. Eriugena decided to fight heresy with... MORE HERESY!

Ah, imagine his mates' faces  :P

The Gottschalk controversy might interest you lot, by the way. It was the idea of predestination - Gottschalk believed that we are predestined to badness and predestined to goodness. Though he was shunted to various monasteries (see "house arrest") and was denied the sacraments on his death, he didn't recant. Hence Eriugena's biting response, the Treatise on Divine Predestination, in which God only predestines the saved and not the damned. I believe the analogy of two drowning men is used (either by Eriugena or someone supporting him - again, can't recall). One man is trying to swim, and so freely chooses to be in a position in which he can be saved. The other is not trying, and so is freely choosing to die. In other words, the believer reaches for salvation consciously as his own choice and is therefore saved. The non-believer chooses damnation.

Gottschalk emphasised inevitability; Eriugena (albeit in a novel and non-conformist way) emphasised free will as a force interacting with, rather than opposing, predestination.

I don't know if that made sense, actually. I tried to pare it down, but Eriugena always made my head tie into knots.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: September 01, 2019, 04:01:57 pm »

This is more politics related, but it’s tangentially religion since the politician seems to be invoking DnD here, or at least it just seems like he thinks people can ask god for some magical bulletproof aura or someshit. So, if anybody on the Ameripol thread wants to tangent heavily, here’s the crossover:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/01/politics/texas-state-rep-praying-for-protection-shooting/index.html

When are religious people, politicians in particular, going to realize that god does not work like DnD?

Edit: I wonder how many of those shooters were ‘god-fearing christians’? That’d put a stake right into his ‘godless people that need saving’ argument.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:04:18 pm by smjjames »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6574 on: September 03, 2019, 01:39:54 am »

God does what God wants.

The theory of prayer is that by aligning yourself with God's will and making it more likely that your willing actions will advance God's plan, your existence, survival and success will benefit God's plan and therefore you have a better chance of getting those things, rather than being used as a pawn and getting discarded when you've outlived your usefulness.

God isn't a magical sky fairy that gives you stuff because you want it. Philosophically and theologically that doesn't even make sense.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: September 03, 2019, 07:42:29 am »

I don't think people think of it like that. People are encouraged to pray for two reasons - Firstly, as a means to establish communication with the divine and build a relationship, whether one similar to father and child or one similar to friendship. Some nuns even go so far as to claim their relationship to Jesus may be likened to marriage. Secondly, as a form of petition, a plea for aid. The problem is, as you say, that there is little theological sense behind this second one.

My argument is that people don't really care about the theological implications. Throughout their lives, they have been encouraged to build a relationship with God. A natural facet of any such relationship is that of obligation - a father is obliged to help his child, a friend their friend. Their prayers do not go to the Almighty, who will measure their pleas on a silver scale and find them wanting. Their prayers go to the being whom they love, and whose love they feel assured of in return.

Indeed, people don't think of God as a magical sky fairy who will indulge their whims. They think of him as a friend or father who loves and wants the best for them... and when calamity strikes, a genuine friend would say 'screw it' to their own plans, no matter the consequences, and help.

In other words, prayer in such cases is an emotional outpouring - one which seeks reciprocation. It is not a rational or logical action in which people consider theology or, indeed, logic.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:05 am »

Some nuns even go so far as to claim their relationship to Jesus may be likened to marriage.

Wait - I thought that was the point. Like, in the vows of nunnery and all it's a wedding and devotion to Jesus over real, actual people.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: September 03, 2019, 10:42:49 am »

Nah, it depends on the nuns.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: September 03, 2019, 05:25:43 pm »

I was just railing at the whole rationale. Praying to deal with grief? Sure, whatever works for you. But saying that we need to pray the evil away is as stupid a reasoning as saying that hitler came because people didn’t pray hard enough and it reminded me of that televangelist pastor guy who thinks* that many people praying for him creates a hurricane proof shield or something around him. Of which both examples would be completely unlike what indigofenix and th4dwarfy1 said.

*Though it’s possible they meant it as a joke or something, I don’t remember if they were actually serious in that belief.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: September 03, 2019, 07:33:16 pm »

Someone in a non-Bay12 chat mentioned that prayer "if nothing else" helps comfort those of us hearing about these tragedies, and I sorta want to address that.  The context was not of comforting victims, but the rest of us who have to figure out how to react to these almost unimaginable tragedies.

It's no worse than clicking a reaction emoji on Facebook.  It doesn't help the victims, but very few people expect it to.  It's a traditional way to contemplate/meditate.  We think about what happened and try to integrate it into our understanding of the world.

Some people might feel comforted afterward and put the tragedy out of their mind, trusting that greater powers will handle it.  That's not unique to prayer.  Skeptics and atheists are also overwhelmed by things which deserve outrage, and often allow the news cycle to spin on.  Any contemplation which helps us process these issues and form calm opinions about them is helpful, as it prepares us for taking actual action.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: September 03, 2019, 08:21:21 pm »

Yeah, that’s... probably part of what I was venting about, not the simple act of prayer itself, meditation takes many forms, but more the attitude of ‘Must pray away the evil!’ which comes off as bible thumping idiot (politician).

The whole ‘thoughts and prayers’ is tired and I’m sure everybody on both sides (even the gun toting ppl who want a focus on mental health and have their own views) are frustrated with no concrete movement while this keeps happening, but it’s the whole double facepalm groan level of dumbness (especially when it falls right into the stereotype) that gets me. It’s sort of like trying to ask god to physically (or psychically) intervene (which is what I was trying to imply with the DND reference earlier) when he doesn’t actually exist... at least not in the way that one would be able to physically throw thunderbolts or imbue clerics with spells.

In reality, it’s going to be the word of humanity, people, (or the voice of god speaking through people if you want to take that route) that ‘transforms the hearts of those with evil intent’ not god.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: September 04, 2019, 09:15:11 am »

Pretty sure that came up in the wtf thread, or something? Shonus, iirc, noted it's more or less literal heresy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: September 04, 2019, 09:18:45 am »

Oh. Well, that's a coincidence. I saw it on Facebook.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: September 04, 2019, 11:05:11 am »

that the books are heresy or that the banning of the books is heresy?

Because those people actually believe that reading the pseudolatin aloud summons literal demons and bad spirits.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 523