I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 666705 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6555 on: June 22, 2019, 11:23:41 pm »

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/449886-netflix-says-it-wont-make-any-more-episodes-of-amazon-primes

Pfft, Netflix shouldn't cave to demands just because religious people don't like it, Galileo didn't cave in either!

'god is voiced by a woman', do they seriously have a hangup on that? Maybe God and Gaia are one and the same, WHAT A HERETICAL CONCEPT!!!! Or maybe it's Mary speaking as she's since merged with god! HERETICAL CONCEPT!!!!!

Or maybe God should sound like Cthulhu. IA! IA! CTHULHU FTAGHN!

Thank you! I'll be here all week! Enough trolling for tonight!

Hopefully I didn't overplay my hand here....

Though seriously, most christians are familiar with the concept of Gaia/Mother Earth/Mother Nature and are accepting of it, so, I fail to see why god having a female voice should offend people, you already worship Mary, mother of Jesus (Catholics do, at least), maybe it's her speaking? Though ideally the voice should be genderless or gender ambigous in the sense that you can't really tell for sure if it's female or male because it falls in between. Or maybe ideally it should sound like a robot, that'd be funny.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 11:28:19 pm by smjjames »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: June 22, 2019, 11:30:11 pm »

God is clearly too powerful to be tied to our puny human notions of gender, so when you think about it they're the heretics.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: June 22, 2019, 11:43:57 pm »

Or maybe they should alternate between male and female voices just to confuse the fuck out of people.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: June 23, 2019, 02:43:00 am »

These are probably the kind of people who think that Jesus was white.

The real travesty is having a Scottish and Welsh actor act like they’re English. Totes.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: June 23, 2019, 04:43:06 am »

“This is another step to make Satanism appear normal, light and acceptable. We must show our rejection,” the group adds.
Well, they're kinda right about that, but only if you take this statement completely out of context.
Putting pressure onto companies to cancel a pretty good series partway through the making does, indeed, make Satanism appear acceptable by comparison.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: June 23, 2019, 04:50:12 am »

Well, a signed petition is better than blowing them up Charlie Hebdo style.

The problem is that it is a light and humorous story based on the Bible, which for them is incredibly serious. I don't think laughing at them is appropriate, especially considering that this show does (albeit in a light hearted way) mock their core beliefs.

Personally I see it as subjective. On one hand, I have no faith-based baggage when watching the show. So God is voiced by a woman? It's not like He existed in the first place - who cares.

And that is the crux of the issue. Because for them, He does exist. And they most definitely care.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: June 23, 2019, 06:01:50 am »

I dont understand the fixation on maleness for the abrahamic god.

Their creation figure invented gender, after first creating an entire culture of genderless beings. (angels are genderless yo.) it is implied quite strongly that the big guy on the throne is likewise genderless, since the concept of gender is one this being invented.  The issue is purely one of linguistics with gendered nouns, and the imposed patriarchal attitude that was presumably instituted by the big guy on the holy throne. 

EG, authority was given to men; but the concept that the highest authority is neither male for female does not sink in, because they have settled on the lower branch of "Male==authority", thus "Authority==male". 

If you ask me, they should have made a polyphony voice like bethesda did for Asura in morrowind, where the voice is an auditory collage of several voices, both male and female, overlaid on top of each other. 

You are not supposed to understand the mind of god. You are not supposed to understand how or what god is. Giving a voice to something that is ineffable like that means giving it one that causes confusion and awe at the same time.  Hence, my suggestion.

But meh.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: June 23, 2019, 10:00:31 am »

You could do that, and it would be "correct", but people would complain anyway that you didn't use a wholly male voice for skyguy.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: August 02, 2019, 06:17:00 pm »

Their creation figure invented gender, after first creating an entire culture of genderless beings. (angels are genderless yo.) it is implied quite strongly that the big guy on the throne is likewise genderless, since the concept of gender is one this being invented.  The issue is purely one of linguistics with gendered nouns, and the imposed patriarchal attitude that was presumably instituted by the big guy on the holy throne. 

EG, authority was given to men; but the concept that the highest authority is neither male for female does not sink in, because they have settled on the lower branch of "Male==authority", thus "Authority==male". 

If you ask me, they should have made a polyphony voice like bethesda did for Asura in morrowind, where the voice is an auditory collage of several voices, both male and female, overlaid on top of each other. 

You are not supposed to understand the mind of god. You are not supposed to understand how or what god is. Giving a voice to something that is ineffable like that means giving it one that causes confusion and awe at the same time.  Hence, my suggestion.

But meh.

Its quite funny. I talked to god the other day i could explain it simply but I know it won't be respected. So instead I will match my imperial army into your homes and take (y)our woman and culture and change it to suit a new world that is easy to dominate by unsettling the balanced humanity.
Play their roles against one another and doubt each other.
Doubt is the first step to suspension of believing and creation of illusionary realities. Kinda like impromptu acting but on a will creates reality level. Like a djinns wish bent slightly by an authority

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: August 02, 2019, 07:18:50 pm »

That's indecipherable.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: August 03, 2019, 12:34:45 am »

But meh.
Interestingly, the medieval scholar Eriguena would agree. He saw 'one' to be the perfect number, and division to be less perfect. The more unity in something, the more it resembles god. The division of mankind into two genders is thus a distancing from God, who is One.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: August 03, 2019, 09:54:58 am »

Less perfect than zero, though. One is still divisible even if it's not divided :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: August 03, 2019, 12:08:52 pm »

Less perfect than zero, though. One is still divisible even if it's not divided :P
The text that Th4DwArfY1 is referencing might (I dunno and am too lazy to check) have been written before the concept of zero caught on. But we now, in our totally enlightened times, know zero is the best number.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: August 03, 2019, 12:31:30 pm »

It was around in the Middle East toward the end of 8th century according to a quick Google.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: August 03, 2019, 01:55:26 pm »

Well, if by 'zero' you mean 'that which is not', then Eriguena did implement it in his philosophy! God is a unity of that which is and that which is not.

The text in question is the Periphyseon, btw. Widely regarded as the defining theological work of its time and, of course, a border-line heretical text too. Its core concern is ouisia (Essence in Greek, probably spelled incorrectly here, can't recall.) God reveals himself in his creations, so on so forth, the Division of Nature is a circle.

I spent some time trying to decipher his work for an essay last year. I can't say I fully succeeded, but the man was undoubtedly a shining intellect.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 523