I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 663621 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Conversion by Kirpan
« Reply #5640 on: June 24, 2016, 08:49:30 pm »

I *love* confessing.  I'm sorta jealous of Catholics about that :P
Thankfully there are anonymous places on the internet.

But OW can't excommunicate anyone, he's not a Pap.  Unless the Papal States absorbed New Zealand when I wasn't looking.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: June 24, 2016, 09:08:38 pm »

Not like it'd do much, even if he could. US is full of protestant heathens. They care more about the last crap they took than the pope's opinion of 'em. Excommunication means a lot less when there's another (five) church(es) down the street(, each) with a different denomination :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5642 on: June 24, 2016, 09:17:44 pm »

Also the Pope is not allowed to question the faith of others since the previous Popes got excommunicated
Anyways this Pope isn't even the real Pope, they're just waiting to bring back Pope classic

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: June 24, 2016, 09:28:24 pm »

Not like it'd do much, even if he could. US is full of protestant heathens. They care more about the last crap they took than the pope's opinion of 'em. Excommunication means a lot less when there's another (five) church(es) down the street(, each) with a different denomination :V
Reagan can excommunicate plenty of people
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: July 07, 2016, 09:18:18 pm »

Somehow I never until now noticed a layer of meaning of Cain murdering Abel:
God was dissatisfied with Cain's offering of crops, compared to Abel's blood sacrifice of fat animals.

Cain didn't offer Abel as a sacrifice to God (except in Old World of Darkness game lore, interestingly).  And lied about it.  But still, I can kinda see the thought process.
"Fine, you want animal sacrifice?  I'll give you the best damn animal sacrifice..."

Almost strange that modern "Satanists" don't follow Cain rather than Satan.  Satan was mostly just jealous of humanity.  They worship the ideal of opposition, which I get, but idunno seems like Cain is better there.  Or honestly Eve, Adam, or even Lilith.

Since Satan is just some angel who I don't even think has free will, according to the non-biblical stories that explain his antagonism and jealousy.  Or maybe he was just jealous of the attention humanity got...  Really though I thought I read angels don't get free will, somewhere.

My favorite interpretation is still the Cathars, though.  Where God is straight-up evil, but Jesus defied him and provided a way for people to escape reincarnation.
Not even joking, by far the most plausible interpretation of Christianity I've ever seen.  It can even explain why God stopped murdering innocents and demanding wars, he was sealed away by Jesus's sacrifice (though I don't know if the actual Cathars went that far).
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: July 07, 2016, 11:42:54 pm »

Really though I thought I read angels don't get free will, somewhere.

From vague memories of Religion class, I'm almost 40% certain that Catholic doctrine has the following to say about angels:

They have free will, up to a point. But once they've chosen, they are incapable of UNchoosing. And so an angel that's "Fallen" stays fallen forever.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: July 07, 2016, 11:57:06 pm »

The line, as it is, is that angels possess perfect knowledge. Because they possess perfect knowledge when they make a decision it is the only decision they could have come to. Because of this, they cannot change their minds, because the original decision was made with perfect knowledge.

Which is the same thing as not having free will, but you know, religion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: July 07, 2016, 11:58:48 pm »

Near as I can recall the jealousy angle is entirely from extra-biblical sources. The canon texts broadly say bugger all about the adversary's (/adversaries') motivations, so far as I can recall at th'mo'. Beyond that, most modern satanism really has very little to do with the Christian conceptualization(s) of (the) Satan(s). They use the word and some of the iconography, but it's otherwise functionally unrelated. Forgot exactly why they co-opted the title, though, save as a stick to the eye of a major organized religion. Which would have been reason enough given the general ethos of many of the movements, really...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: July 08, 2016, 12:02:47 am »

let's talk miaphysitism/monophysitism/chalcedonianism (is Jesus divine and physical, divine and physical or divine and physical?)

seriously i actually love that division there

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: July 08, 2016, 12:08:32 am »

shit, forgot that one, yeah, the one that says that Jesus is divine and physical

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: July 08, 2016, 12:11:00 am »

let's talk miaphysitism/monophysitism/chalcedonianism (is Jesus divine and physical, divine and physical or divine and physical?)

seriously i actually love that division there
I love that there was a very long, strident, almost entirely overlooked division there.
Which nobody seems eager to study now, because the question is...  settled?  Mostly, by the survivors of the bloody Christian on Christian wars?
And I think the third thing, paradoxically both, won?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQLfgaUoQCw
She/they

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: July 08, 2016, 12:17:59 am »

And Eutychianism, and Monothelitism, and Docetism, and Dyophysitism, and Dythelitism, and Monoenergism, and Subordinationism, and Psilanthropism, and Adoptionism, and Apollinarism, and Arianism.

Fucking heretics.
No Gods, No Masters.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: July 08, 2016, 12:29:29 am »

PTW. 
Edit: oh shit, I thought this was the railgun and spirituality thread, my bad.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: July 08, 2016, 12:31:03 am »

...  If you find or start that, by all means share a link.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 523