I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 660885 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

Went by the post office yesterday, it was sporting a giant Christmas tree and a santa sleigh.  The US Post Office.
I mean, it's not the Ten Commandments, but this still makes me *uncomfortable* because I am *scared* of what it represents.

I think that Santa and Christmas trees are more a symbol of capitalism than christianity (not that capitalism is a good thing either; It's preferable to Maoism or Stalinism, but it's still very bad).

It's not like they had a nativity scene or whatever.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

Rolan, I hope this isn't a personal question, but why do you care about public symbols of Christianity?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Went by the post office yesterday, it was sporting a giant Christmas tree and a santa sleigh.  The US Post Office.
I mean, it's not the Ten Commandments, but this still makes me *uncomfortable* because I am *scared* of what it represents.

I think that Santa and Christmas trees are more a symbol of capitalism than christianity (not that capitalism is a good thing either; It's preferable to Maoism or Stalinism, but it's still very bad).

better watch out or saint nick is gonna punch all you naughty heretics in the face! and don't think he wont hes done it before! before long the Santa death squads will force you to give Christmas cheer or face death by beating with coal filled stockings to the tune of jingle bells! noting can stop his rise to power! mwahahaha!!!

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile

Rick Santorum, Senator Ted Cruz, Dr Ben Carson, and Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal have agreed to support a constitutional amendment voiding gay marriages, including existing ones.

Why am I posting this here?  Because of the group which wrote the pledge in the first place:
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2015/08/24/anti-gay-marriage-group-nom-funded-by-catholic-donors-it-fought-to-keep-secret/

Just...  When I say I'm *afraid of Christianity*, I'm not joking okay?  And it's not an unreasonable phobia.  As a gay atheist I have:
* Been called a noncitizen by the President of the United States (Bush Jr)
* Have to recite a pledge of allegiance which (thanks to relatively recent neocons) puts the country underneath a single God
* Have to use currency which does the same
* Am even less likely to be elected to office than a muslim
* Reached the age of 28 before my right to marry was recognized by the federal government
* Said right has been and is, as above, constantly attacked by the "moral majority".  Real candidates for president are being applauded for promising to strip my basic right to marriage.
* ...  It's actually illegal for gay people to have sex in 17 states, marriage or not:
Fourteen states' statutes purport to ban all forms of sodomy, some including oral intercourse, regardless of the participants' genders: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Utah. Four states specifically target their statutes at same-sex relations only: Oklahoma, Kansas[16][17] Kentucky, and Texas.

Do you see that?  Four states, even now, *only* ban the acts between same sex couples.
This is the law of the country I live in.  I *am* oppressed, by Christians, every day.  I don't "hate Christians" I want BASIC CIVIL LIBERTIES.  I want them to let me live my life in peace!  And I'm sure most Christians here are happy to let me do that, but please stop crying "persecution" or "hate" when people want to question the Bible, or suggest that American Christianity is dangerous.  Being disagreed with is not persecution.

Sorta as an aside, something I'm conflicted about...  My loud and proud atheist brother said he doesn't care about Christmas decorations, as long as there's no manger scene.  Basically arguing that Christmas is practically secular nowadays.  This made me conflicted.  On the one hand, yeah, Christmas was formed from pagan rituals and is still highly pagan.  And I enjoy Halloween, which is technically the same situation (formerly pagan, turned Christian, became secular).

But I don't want Christmas to turn secular?  I just don't want to celebrate it.  It's got Christ right there in the name, for one thing.  I'd rather the federal government be secular, and keep dialing back the legislated Christian morality it forces on me.

I am a gay Christian, so I think I can address this. Hopefully.

It's a very touchy subject. But homophobia is not exclusive to Christianity. I know homophobic religious people. I know homophobic atheists (and I would have to say, actually, I've met more homophobic atheists, or at least non-practicing Christians than homophobic Christians). Similarly I know religious people who don't give a damn either way, and the same goes for atheists or non-Christians.
I'm only 17, and still closeted, I know my experiences are small. I know things are different outside the veil I live under.

The problem technically originates from religion (depending on denomination and interpretation of Scriptures), but I wholeheartedly believe that people who claim that "God hates gays" or "I hate gays because God hates gays" (or other such things, I'm sure you get my point) are either:
A) True sheeple, lacking any intellect and just regurgitating what they are fed without any form of reason, logic or pondering up what they read (because unfortunately the Catholic church has an anti-gay marriage stance and people take this to extremes). Times aren't medieval, we are literate and we read the Bible. Many Christian denominations promote individual interpretation of the Scripture.
B) Non-practicing "Christians" who are homophobic and claim they are Christians because it is easier to say "I hate gays because my religion" than "I hate gays because I'm intolerant".
C) I think the characters off duck dynasty deserve their own little subcategory
(ie: Westboro Baptist Church. They claim to be followers of Christ but are more hateful than almost any other group that I can think of)

And I believe that because if Jesus truly told us to love one another unconditionally and God loves us unconditionally then there is no reason for hate crimes and intolerance.

Now I'm sure people may ask how I can be both Christian and gay. Well, simply put, if there is a God in the form I believe, He knows truly my own heart. I know I didn't choose to be gay. Therefore, if I didn't choose to be gay, and I simply am, then I was at the moment of my conception. I was made this way, by Him. And if He made me this way I cannot be such an abomination that may be sometimes purported.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Fakedit:  That's cool.  The Bible's (literalist) stance on homosexuality is...  At least a little unclear, and I can't get into it right now (if I even wanted to).  I'm honestly glad your faith doesn't make you hate yourself. 

I do agree that there are many atheist homophobes (I was one, to an extent), and they do vote.  But it's not the same.  Pastors here in NC were directing their flock to vote against Proposition 8.  Republicans, and even Democrats promise to defend "Christian values" by denying us rights.  It's not just Christians, but Christians in America are far more likely to be taken in by such things.  Because instead of just "Ew gross", they can rationalize it as "I love the gay, but what they're doing is against my beliefs wrong".  Instead of hating, they think they're being kind and just. 

Also it's easier to believe that being gay is a choice, when you think that God doesn't want us to be gay.  Regardless of the facts...

Rolan, I hope this isn't a personal question, but why do you care about public symbols of Christianity?
They only really bother me when they're tied to the government.  The government is supposed to be secular and represent people of all religions.  I mean, imagine if the situation was different:

Money saying "Allahu Akbar" (Simply "God is great", but would Christians accept that?)
Pledge of allegiance saying "One nation, there is no god" (This isn't even atheist, it's anti-theist, but "we dunno if there are gods" sounds silly)
Courtroom having a statue of Satan outside next to the 10 commandments

I wouldn't be at all comfortable with the first two, even the second one, and the last one is only okay because it demonstrated that all religions are equal under US law...  Theoretically.  It'd still be weird, but work as a monument for religious liberty.

(As an aside, a Christian reacted to said statue by pretending to be Satanist and smashing the 10 commandments "In Satan's name".  Which was silly because...  These were the type of satanists who don't actually believe in Satan, just rejecting tyranny.  And a quick investigation confirmed that the guy was a church-going Christian.  And the actual Satanists responded by refusing to put up their statue until the 10 commandments were restored)

But yeah I don't like the government openly supporting Christianity to the exclusion of other faiths, or non-faith.  Heck, the 10 commandments is 3/10 "Believe in Yahweh and no other", and for a long time people thought this was an okay thing to have in courts of US law.  I won't deny things have gotten better...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:07:14 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

better watch out or saint nick is gonna punch all you naughty heretics in the face! and don't think he wont hes done it before! before long the Santa death squads will force you to give Christmas cheer or face death by beating with coal filled stockings to the tune of jingle bells! noting can stop his rise to power! mwahahaha!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9OEMKXtYP4
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

How are they progressive then? That's like the polar opposite of progressive.
And so is crushing free speech or supporting FGM, doesn't stop them
If it's part of a culture (not held by Westerners or those of similar character), it's sanctimonious

(He was mirroring my post)
The point is that religious progressives get convinced to vote for regressive religious stuff because of their religion.  I can't speak to Europe with any authority, but I think LW is right that it happens there too.
Worse, unelected statesmen too :D

And what does that comment about "no one is in control of anything anymore" mean and what is it's significance here?
European parliaments had their teeth pulled out but the European parliament is toothless
Only Britzerland remain

It's not harsher than christianity. Look up witch trials and the Spanish Inquisition
Look up witch trials, purges in Anatolia, Arabia, Africa, Persia and India
Hell, look up Shariah Law
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Probably the biggest difference is in how keen Muslims are on Shariah law
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dark green = Shariah law is enshrined by the government and applies to everyone
Lighter green = Shariah law is enshrined by the government and applies only to Muslims
Blue = Shariah law is not enshrined by the government but the majority of the population is Muslim, thanks to godless communists and Ataturk being cheeky
I didn't even include the nations where Shariah courts exist but are not recognized by the state, that would take much more time
Countries where Biblical or Talmudic law are enshrined in the state's law: 0
Of note is that Western Thrace in Greece has Shariah law, and some woman has gone to the European Court of Human Rights because she lost all of her inheritance under Shariah Law

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: I am Enlightened by my Euphoria
« Reply #3967 on: December 08, 2015, 07:49:02 pm »

I can see whre those politicians are coming from, since the bible does very clearly say homosexuality is a sin. But they are making it out as if it is a bigger sin than any others. The very point of christianity is that everyone is a sinner. And Jesus died to save everybody, including the gays, rapists, liars, thieves, and blasphemers.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:57 pm »

Interesting that Tunisia, despite being a Muslim country, doesn't fall into any of those categories.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: December 08, 2015, 08:00:19 pm »

I can see whre those politicians are coming from, since the bible does very clearly say homosexuality is a sin. But they are making it out as if it is a bigger sin than any others. The very point of christianity is that everyone is a sinner. And Jesus died to save everybody, including the gays, rapists, liars, thieves, and blasphemers.
Yeah...
And a lot of sins aren't illegal, like coveting someone else's things.  Or blaspheming.  So, maybe this should be legal too, and left to individuals instead of being government-enforced?
Not demanding an answer, just making a suggestion that hopefully fits with your views.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3970 on: December 08, 2015, 08:02:53 pm »

Interesting that Tunisia, despite being a Muslim country, doesn't fall into any of those categories.
Nah it's blue, shariah has no legal influence

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: December 08, 2015, 08:04:28 pm »

Yeah...
And a lot of sins aren't illegal, like coveting someone else's things.  Or blaspheming.  So, maybe this should be legal too, and left to individuals instead of being government-enforced?
Not demanding an answer, just making a suggestion that hopefully fits with your views.
My view is that homosexuality is a sin, but that Christians should still love them as we are commanded to.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: December 08, 2015, 08:05:23 pm »

Actually, the Bible says that the actual act of homosexual intercourse is a sin, not simply being gay. I don't remember who but I remember reading one Christian article that chaste gays are actually more pious than most Christians.

I still don't entirely agree even with that. If we are all made equal in God's eyes and sex is in fact pleasurable, I don't think God would deny one boon of life to a specific group He created, assuming that we are in fact created homosexual and it's not a choice (which I do believe).
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: December 08, 2015, 08:07:59 pm »

Actually, the Bible says that the actual act of homosexual intercourse is a sin, not simply being gay. I don't remember who but I remember reading one Christian article that chaste gays are actually more pious than most Christians.

I still don't entirely agree even with that. If we are all made equal in God's eyes and sex is in fact pleasurable, I don't think God would deny one boon of life to a specific group He created, assuming that we are in fact created homosexual and it's not a choice (which I do believe).
That is correct. I should have clarified that.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: December 08, 2015, 08:10:20 pm »

Harboring lustful thoughts is also sinful.

Matthew 5:28New International Version (NIV)

28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Just substitute [gender] for [gender] as appropriate.  Men who desire to have sex with other men, and look at men with the desire that they would love to have sex with them (but that makes baby jesus cry!, so they totally abstain from actually trying to get that booty) are committing this sin in their hearts, according to this verse.

The working theory, as proposed by the bible, is that humans in general have a sin-nature.  That is, if you are gay, your desire to have sex with others of your own gender is part of your sin-nature. When you accept christ into your life and invite habitation by the holy spirit, that habitation begins to slowly alter your nature so that you no longer desire sinful things-- that is to say, you stop being gay, because you stop being attracted to men, due to the influence of the holy spirit.

In theory.

In practice, numerous studies have shown that sexual identity is not something that you can magic-wand away.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:19:33 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 523