I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 660896 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Well nordic myth IS rather popular, like greek mythology. It has really cool elements built into it (gods that are badasses, huge battles, full of heroes and epic tales, etc), and had some really interesting syncretic interactions with christianity (at one point in norway, Jesus was worshipped alongside Thor, for example). Its no surprise it got used in some very famous operas and many other stuff in recent times. Lord of the Rings, for example, was inspired in nordic myth in many ways, though under a christianized view.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

Well nordic myth IS rather popular, like greek mythology. It has really cool elements built into it (gods that are badasses, huge battles, full of heroes and epic tales, etc), and had some really interesting syncretic interactions with christianity (at one point in norway, Jesus was worshipped alongside Thor, for example). Its no surprise it got used in some very famous operas and many other stuff in recent times. Lord of the Rings, for example, was inspired in nordic myth in many ways, though under a christianized view.
The bible also has its fair share of huge battles. So it really isn't all that different in that sense.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

It has huge battles, but they're not necessarily epic battles. There weren't great heroes that fought with flaming swords, with the fate of the world at stake. That would be epic. A huge battle is WWII.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nordic myth has a greater focus on individuals, rather than just the "a huge battle happens" thing the bible often does. Ragnarok, for example, is full of references to who will fight who, how and what will happen to them. Its the ancient equivalent to an action movie. Nordic myth has its fair share of side stories, too, and many of them are kinda like some sort of saturday morning cartoon episode, in that they're entertaining but also carry some sort of message.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

They're also foreign, which I think lends them more to reinterpretation and usage.

It's a lot easier to have make and have accepted a comic book character based off of a foreign and dead religion than one that the authors and readers actually practice,for example. Otherwise you'd have Jesus in the avengers.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

The Bible has always seemed rather dry to me, but I really enjoy Norse mythology.

Otherwise you'd have Jesus in the avengers.
Now that would be epic.

"Quick, Jesus! Walk over that water to defeat the foe with spontaneously appearing baskets of bread!"
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm surprised there aren't more media that makes use of hinduism, who is also full of epic tales with awesome heroes and vishnu turning into his huge lion headed avatar and ripping the villain apart limb by limb.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Dry? Most of the Bible is, but if you know where to look there's a lot of entertaining stuff. Like lewd poetry? Song of Songs is like 50% about boobs. Want action? The tale of Samson is a solid story about a demigod killing a ton of bad guys. Incomprehensible cosmic horror is more your thing? Ezekiel is there for you.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you want to be disgusted, read Hosea!

Yeah, the bible definitely isn't a children's book.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

@tempacc
Yeah, a shame. I think Japa's right aboutthe reasoning.

Jesus would be the one black character whose brave self sacrifice lets everyone defeat the villain?

I remember reading a set of entertaining bit raunchy Norse stories. Skeggas Edda I think? Can't check atm. I think they were pretty NSFW at times though.

Of course I later learned that Frigg (Freya?) buying the Dwarven necklace was old canon not fanfic...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Otherwise you'd have Jesus in the avengers.
No, Jesus is legitimately more boring. I think it's the lack of humanity in the character, which is ironic given his role in the narrative. No particularly strong (personal) likes or dislikes, no vices, never wrong or fooled by anything... just not something an audience could ever relate to or understand much.
In Norse mythology Thor does things wrong and has problems and isn't operating on his perfect plan all the time. And at the same time he's operating with understandable motives.

Ninjad: I guess Samson could count, but he was also very very murdery with nowhere near a good enough reason that I've ever been able to discern. He could work in a Michael Bay style film where everything's blown up and the plot doesn't matter.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about Daniel? He has quite a number of interesting events (even though we don't know what happened the 65 years between Daniel 4 and 5)

chapters 1-4 he's around 15 years old, then chapter 5 and he's suddenly 80-ish years. Whatever.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

No particularly strong (personal) likes or dislikes, no vices, never wrong or fooled by anything... just not something an audience could ever relate to or understand much.
Hates traders in the temple (and broke out a whip to prove it,) liked alcohol and hanging with bums, pissed off by a fig tree that refused to bear him fruit out of season, stole a horse to teach his boys a lesson by having it destroy their clothes, and has a couple sweet one liners, like, "I bring not peace, but a sword." Let's face it, Jesus isn't in the Avengers because it would piss off most Americans, and Thor is regarded as mythology instead of mainstream religion. Maybe in the Avengers 3600AD.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

13 NEW REPLIES!? YE FLIPPING GODS. Oh, okay, they're all about Thor.

I have a question:

How many people here arguing for Christianity are believers, and how many are playing Devils advocate?
I am a believer.

And Neil Diamond started singing in my head: "I couldn't leave her if I tried."

Is this so hard to grasp? I've seen plenty of atheists write about why humans are greedy, short-sighted, xenophobic or tribal, violent, etc, usually giving an evolutionary explanation. Original sin is Christianity explaining the same thing. It's not saying humans are any more evil than they observably are.

Original sin isn't even remotely comparable. http://www.religioustolerance.org/sin_gene.htm

It's like if you invented a nanobot that could give any animal human-level intelligence, human-like vocal cords, and the ability to speak, and you injected said nanobots into a fruit. Then you sat it on the table, told your dog not to eat it, and walked away. Then, when you come back and it's gone, you throw a fit, tell him you only had ONE RULE and he BROKE IT, so that's it, he's OUT! FOREVER! Oh, and you're cursing the whole earth, and the plants, and him too, because you're just that furious. (For simplicity, I didn't try to include two dogs, fig leaves, or a fruit tree, although one expects they would go for the fruit tree just as well and it's just a matter of one dog not keeping the other dog from eating any :P)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

They're also foreign, which I think lends them more to reinterpretation and usage.

It's a lot easier to have make and have accepted a comic book character based off of a foreign and dead religion than one that the authors and readers actually practice,for example. Otherwise you'd have Jesus in the avengers.

That was basically the premise of the final act of that South Park episode where they fight David Blaine
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 523