I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661906 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3315 on: November 09, 2015, 02:07:44 pm »

I wouldn't say there's anything particularly unpalatable about that. If God designed the religion, of course he'd set it up to persist - which happens to be indistinguishable from the Christianity meme being well adapted to survive, from a certain viewpoint.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: November 09, 2015, 02:14:31 pm »

But did God design Buddhism? Hindu? Taoism? It treats all religions based not on truth, but its ability to survive. Did God want the religion to evolve for survival, not truth? Was he restricted by free will, and could only watch with anger as his religion changed, not to reflect His intent, but to be self sustaining?

In fact, perhaps the one true religion simply wasn't well enough evolved, and not related to Christianity at all. Perhaps it's dead and buried, because whilst it was truth, it wasn't the truth people wanted?

I'm speaking purely hypothetically here, of course, and postulating that there's a true religion at all.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3317 on: November 09, 2015, 02:24:56 pm »

Well, that would imply Christianity has at its core changed much since the time of Jesus. I don't see much evidence for it having actually evolved.

And perhaps God did design those other religions. I wouldn't pitch anything on it myself, but there's no reason to say he didn't.

Of course, The One True Faith (patent pending) might also have died. But I don't think so. Which is the crux (hehe) of most religous arguments.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: November 09, 2015, 02:41:23 pm »

Well I don't think you'd see any crusades happening nowadays, or inquisitions on behalf of any Christian church.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: November 09, 2015, 02:46:12 pm »

... yeah, general church practice has changed pretty radically in the last two millennium. Hell, there's been fairly major shifts in living memory, nevermind the differences between any few centuries over the last couple thousand years. Texts themselves may not have changed much, but the emphasis and expression? The surrounding organizations? Those have experienced (and are experiencing) fairly serious flux.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3320 on: November 09, 2015, 02:48:28 pm »

You've both missed the point - the core tenet of constant prayerfulness and all that hasn't changed. You'll notice I specified 'at its core'.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: November 09, 2015, 02:50:18 pm »

... what that means definitely has.

E: S'also a helluva' lot more core tenants to christianity that that one (and which ones have been the primary focus has most definitely shifted over the years), and more things beyond that that involve the whole memetic evolution concept. Christianity as a whole (nevermind how splintered it is) has changed pretty radically over the years.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:59:35 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: November 09, 2015, 03:13:08 pm »

You've both missed the point - the core tenet of constant prayerfulness and all that hasn't changed. You'll notice I specified 'at its core'.
Protestantism, whilst maybe not a fundamental change in tenants, is still a huge diversion from the old Catholicism. Then there's the change from Old to New Testament. There's the establishment of different branches (especially in the Protestant church) e.g. Westboro, Methodist, even Mormonism. Bits are added, altered, and reinterpreted all the time.

Another example is women clergy, gay marriage, etc. You could say that gay marriage isn't against the tenants, but there's at least a strong argument that it is. These are examples of things the Church evolved to include so it could survive in modern society.

Edit: Plus, even approaches to things like prayer has changed. I can't imagine Victorians jumping about in an ecstasy of God-worship and a social emotional feedback loop.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:19:59 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Beast Tamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: November 09, 2015, 03:33:47 pm »

One of my biggest issues against most religions is that you must live a life of temperance and restraint so that you can go to an afterlife where all your wildest dreams come true and you live in bliss. It's like rewarding a child who ate their vegetables by shoving a cake down their throat.
There is currently a minor problem in that the veteran demons fighting in the corpse factory have failed to die in the 2 year battle and have become legendary unkillable gods of war. I may have misjudged this possible outcome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: November 09, 2015, 03:41:13 pm »

One of my biggest issues against most religions is that you must live a life of temperance and restraint so that you can go to an afterlife where all your wildest dreams come true and you live in bliss. It's like rewarding a child who ate their vegetables by shoving a cake down their throat.
Honestly I have a problem with any religion that promises an eternal paradise after you die. It seems like if such a religion was composed of people who actually believed in it, then it would suicide itself out of existence pretty quickly (or barring that would have pretty much everyone struggling to take the riskiest jobs like firefighters to get life done with as fast as possible if suicide was expressly forbidden). I mean why linger in this place if all it takes is a single trigger pull to reach eternal paradise?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: November 09, 2015, 03:45:50 pm »

Could try Buddhism. You don't get eternal paradise at all, you just die and lose your whole self. And go around again and again, but that's not really a concern after the whole self-losing part.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3326 on: November 09, 2015, 05:29:30 pm »

That's... missing the point entirely.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: November 09, 2015, 07:09:08 pm »

The Bible hasn't changed since the new testament was organised. The "core" beliefs have not changed (Salvation is through faith in Jesus) but many of the changes you see don't have anything to do with that. For example: The bible does not mention any guidelines on what kind of music churches can and cannot play, baptism is probably the most controversial differences in churches because the bible is a bit vague on the details. So you get many different beliefs about what exactly it is. (my church doesn't have a building yet, and we do baptism in a bath tub)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: November 09, 2015, 07:16:39 pm »

There's two problems with the first sentence: First, when the bible was organized in what, 500 CE, it was a largely political move which books got in and which didn't.

Secondly, and more importantly regarding your point, the Bible HAS changed. The Catholics and the Protestants have whole different books in their bibles, not to mention the Assyrian, Coptic, Orthodox, and so forth. That's not even counting language differences, just in English alone the various translations have sometimes wildly different meanings depending on which word is chosen, and ACROSS languages whole meanings are spun out of whole cloth. Such as the origin of the "Virgin" Mary being an Aramaic/Hebrew word that didn't mean Virgin, but meant Young Maiden. It was translated to a Greek word that DID mean Virgin, and it wasn't a double meaning situation, because Hebrew/Aramaic (I honestly forget which, I think it was Aramaic because that's the language Jesus spoke, but it may have been Hebrew that the word was) did have a word for Virgin, and that wasn't the one used.

To a large extent, your Bible is a product of (continuous) bad translation and politics, not revelation or the work of wise men of God.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:18:14 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: November 09, 2015, 07:22:16 pm »

The New Testament was made with strict guidelines. (I don't know the exact specifications, but I believe the authors had to know someone who knew Jesus) The Catholic Church included some books that were outside of those guidelines, as for the language thing, if you know how to read Greek and Hebrew, you can get a version that has not changed.

About the virgin thing, almah can mean virgin or young woman, but in hebrew culture, the two were almost synonymous.

"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 523