I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661170 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1200 on: March 08, 2015, 01:56:28 pm »

giglamesh

It spreads...

Let me clarify. I believe in the biblical account of the flood. Not the giglamesh account. I was just pointint out that many accounts of the same event from different cultures generally means it happened.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1201 on: March 08, 2015, 02:00:54 pm »

Nonono, it's just that it's Gilgamesh when referring to the Epic and Giglamesh when referring to the forumite.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: March 08, 2015, 02:20:49 pm »

I know that.
I'm fine with my choice, if I'm wrong well darn. But ya I'm entirly ok with my choice in faith, wrong or right. It's morals aren't bad and it's a nice community if you choose right and don't go straight to the only ones people think of because they've given us a bad name
Did Helgo hack someone's account and post societal religious views, hmmm? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: March 08, 2015, 02:24:46 pm »

giglamesh

It spreads...

Let me clarify. I believe in the biblical account of the flood. Not the giglamesh account. I was just pointint out that many accounts of the same event from different cultures generally means it happened.
I think one of the ideas that secular historians have about the flood account and the different cultures having a flood account is... Well, they're generally in the same area. So the idea is that there was a particularly bad flood of the Tigris or Euphrates, and the story of that flood got passed down through the generations, mutating as it went, and it spread out from Mesopotamia as the people spread out, mingled with other cultures.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 02:26:40 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: March 08, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:08:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: March 08, 2015, 02:44:42 pm »

Believing that the earth was the center of the universe is not a historical event.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: March 08, 2015, 02:58:17 pm »

In many religions there is a story of a great flood.
Let's to with one that isn't in that region though to back up the claim.
The aborigines (native Australians) believe (or their religion teaches I should say) that there was a great flood, now in this story it was a flood of honey and not of water but that doesn't change there being a great flood at one point.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: March 08, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »

... wouldn't the simple existence of other flood accounts render the biblical one necessarily false? It held that everything except the arkfolk keeled over dead. If there were other cultures with an accounting thereof, that... couldn't have happened. Because they would have been dead. If you're going to point to other cultural flood myths as evidence, you're saying the account you prefer is notably inaccurate...

@ Cryx: It's significantly more likely that there wasn't a great flood, but many different ones that were particularly notable to a specific region, possibly alongside some general water level increases and whatnot. It's not like floods are a particularly uncommon event, especially in areas that are actually significantly desirable for habitation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: March 08, 2015, 03:11:30 pm »

But have just about every religion have an account of one during their earlyer time in history is a bit coincidental is it not?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: March 08, 2015, 03:11:36 pm »

... wouldn't the simple existence of other flood accounts render the biblical one necessarily false? It held that everything except the arkfolk keeled over dead. If there were other cultures with an accounting thereof, that... couldn't have happened. Because they would have been dead. If you're going to point to other cultural flood myths as evidence, you're saying the account you prefer is notably inaccurate...

@ Cryx: It's significantly more likely that there wasn't a great flood, but many different ones that were particularly notable to a specific region, possibly alongside some general water level increases and whatnot. It's not like floods are a particularly uncommon event, especially in areas that are actually significantly desirable for habitation.
As descan said earlier, as facts get passed on through the generations, details get mixed up untill the story is completely different. What most likely happened is that everyone knew about the flood, but the tower of babel event caused the different language groups to settle away from eachother, and the story got changed from there. I believe in the biblical account because it makes the most sense (giglemesh has the ark be a cube which wouldn't work at all) and because jesus spoke about the flood and never said anything was wrong with the biblical account (Luke 17:27)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: March 08, 2015, 03:14:06 pm »

As descan said earlier, as facts get passed on through the generations, details get mixed up untill the story is completely different. What most likely happened is that everyone knew about the flood, but the tower of babel event caused the different language groups to settle away from eachother, and the story got changed from there. I believe in the biblical account because it makes the most sense (giglemesh has the ark be a cube which wouldn't work at all) and because jesus spoke about the flood and never said anything was wrong with the biblical account (Luke 17:27)
+1

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: March 08, 2015, 03:16:55 pm »

As descan said earlier, as facts get passed on through the generations, details get mixed up untill the story is completely different.
... that position necessarily undermines the entire basis for your belief, though. In holding that that happened, you're opening the possibility -- and, indeed, likelihood* -- that the same thing happened to the biblical account and the details reported there have been mixed up.

*Especially considering most identified potentials for the cause of seriously major historical flooding happened millennium before genesis was penned.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 03:18:31 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 08, 2015, 03:18:25 pm »

But have just about every religion have an account of one during their earlyer time in history is a bit coincidental is it not?

Floods are not really all that uncommon. To a fairly primitive society, it could easily seem like their whole world is flooded when to us it would just seem like a large one. It is also not that far fetched to see how riding it out on a boat is a decent plan. Without doubt over time stories such as that get embellished, as humans are want to do with these things.

But... but there are so many, many problems with the biblical account that make it hard to take as anything other than a story. Flood myths are common in many cultures, but they are not really mutually supporting of anything other than the prevalence of said myths as a cross cultural phenomena.
This is a blank sig.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 08, 2015, 03:19:20 pm »

Please read my whole post.
I believe in the biblical account because it makes the most sense (giglemesh has the ark be a cube which wouldn't work at all) and because Jesus spoke about the flood and never said anything was wrong with the biblical account (Luke 17:27)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 08, 2015, 03:20:41 pm »

And with this discussion I got to lurk this thread again before I chuck my phone out a window
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 523