Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid dwarf trick idea.  (Read 1039 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stupid dwarf trick idea.
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:18:26 am »

If I understand correctly, were-beasts don't trigger pressurepads. Right there is the basis for a clock that 'ticks' once per lunar month. :P

Or you could simply pile were-beasts into a one tile room with a pressure pad set to release them when the pressure pad _isn't_ triggered. Do this in a succession fort just before you pass the save on to the next person.

()==[:::::::::::::>

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid dwarf trick idea.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 09:59:27 am »

Pressure pads are set to go off if an object of a certain size is on them. So you could set the pressure pad to go off when their transformation animal is on it, but not the human.

Another idea I've tried is to get a month clock. Each time a werebeast transforms, he tries to path to kill your dwarves. And since they transform once every month, you can use that to detect when the month changes.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:43:38 am »

It's been done.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:38 am »

Pressure pads are set to go off if an object of a certain size is on them. So you could set the pressure pad to go off when their transformation animal is on it, but not the human.

Another idea I've tried is to get a month clock. Each time a werebeast transforms, he tries to path to kill your dwarves. And since they transform once every month, you can use that to detect when the month changes.
It's not a very accurate month clock.
Full moons happen 13 times a dwarven year. One month, I assume the last month, has two.
However, if your world is saturated in werebeasts, a trapped one can act as an early-warning alarm, since they typically attack during that day.
It is, however, a fully-functional lunar clock.
I mostly use the trapped weregoat metalsmith as exactly what I said - an early-warning alarm.
Just in case another weregoat pops up.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 11:12:19 am »

There are exactly thirteen full moons in a Dwarven year, so werebeasts transform on exactly the same dates every year:
25th granite
23rd slate
21st felsite
19th hematite
17th malachite
15th galena
13th limestone
11th sandstone
8th timber
6th moonstone
4th opal
2nd obsidian
28th obsidian

So if you are very smart, you could create a working clock with this.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)