Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Secret World - Horror MMO by Funcom  (Read 4605 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Secret World - Horror MMO by Funcom
« on: January 21, 2015, 04:41:39 pm »

Link: http://www.thesecretworld.com/

I haven't played it. I plan to get the massive edition next month off of steam. I saw it on sale last year, but I ended up skipping by it as I didn't think it looked like my type of MMO. Sadly after seeing a friend play it...it looks like my type of MMO :P It looks really unique, and actually what I was looking for...a sorta singleplayer experience with a bunch of people around with a good storyline. It actually looked like a lot of fun and one of the quests my friend did was actually really scary. It was a haunted mansion I think (I didn't see the outside), and we both were playing in the basement (in real life) and it was so scary...there was a noise by the basement window and we both jumped and ran up scares rofl. The game really hooked us in (though he was one playing, not me) and was really actually scary. Most games, even singleplayer ones, never do that to me or him. I've played tons of horror singleplayer games that I end up laughing a lot at at how hilarious they are (I'm not going to name it, but that game where you play in chucky cheese I think, was hilarious to me. The haunted toys were hilarious looking and the jump scares were so cliche it was hilarious :P). Most horror games don't scare me at all and are more like a comedy to me (same with horror movies, but those are even more hilarious (there are some actually scary ones).

But anyway. The point is. After watching secret world in that one mission he was doing, actually got me scared...especially after the noise in the window to add to it rofl. We both jumped out of our seats by a few feet rofl.

His mom looked at us funny after we told her and told us to go back to bed lol. It ended up being a neighbor's dog that got loose lol.

Anyway, I can't afford the game till next month (I'm going with massive edition, does that include all the issues or just the ones listed on steam 5/6/7? So I'd have to buy issues 1-4 still? If so, I might skip that one as that sounds a lot more expensive if those aren't included). Sadly my money this month is REALLY low, but next month is coming pretty quick...just have to wait a week and a half.

Anyone else play this or played it? What did you think of it?
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World - Horror MMO by Funcom
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 04:44:54 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57767.msg1270175#msg1270175

Don't have the time to write a novel, but, basically: great stories in a SP capacity. Well written, great cut scenes, cool themes. The investigations are great brain buster puzzles. Soso actual MP MMO content and mechanics though. The game was great up until the point where the F2P (original subscription) content ends and you have to start buying "Issues" to get access to further content. I got it at release and even paid a sub for a year or two, I enjoyed it that much. But I felt like the whole business/game design model went downhill after it went F2P.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:53:32 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:51:39 pm »

Oh, there was a thread already. I searched "Secret World" and looked through all the 8/9 pages that came up and didn't see it at all. Probably because it searched both words separately or something. But, that thread looks rather old anyway.

The singleplayer part is what has me interested though, with seeing other people around. I've played a lot of MMOs recently on trials, and they are all pretty much the same. Secret World seems really unique. City of Heroes was really unique too, but that doesn't exist anymore. Tabula Rasa was really unique but that got killed by NCsoft. Maybe DC Universe.

Otherwise they are all copies of each other. That is why I'm interested in Secret World, it really is an unique experience. Don't care if the multiplayer part is bad, but the game itself looks really unique from what I saw. Not just another WoW clone or sandbox deathmatch CoD/Battlefield style MMO game.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 04:54:43 pm »

Just saying. After you do Transylvania the ride is pretty much over IMO. That and the end game content is.....basically grinding harder versions of the older dungeons, which really didn't appeal to me.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 04:55:52 pm »

Just saying. After you do Transylvania the ride is pretty much over IMO. That and the end game content is.....basically grinding harder versions of the older dungeons, which really didn't appeal to me.

Ah, I dunno how far Transylvania is in the game...does it get pretty bad then? I don't want to spend all that money to find out the game gets stale midway through.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 05:02:07 pm »

The earliest parts of the game are definitely the strongest: the most polished, the most interesting. Transylvania is the the last group of zones after New England and Egypt. That's where I stopped playing originally. Came back a year or two later to finish it, and found the rest of the stuff you have to buy (to get access to Japan) I just didn't feel like doing.

I'm not bitter or anything. It was a fun ride up until then. And the dungeons, the first couple of times you run them, are great experiences too.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 05:20:40 pm »

I got this for 12 bucks and its not bad at that price.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 05:52:44 am »

I had a lot of fun playing this with a couple of friends and trying to solve the puzzle quests without outside help. It was very satisfying when you finally managed to bust a puzzle you spent over 1 real life hour on because you were stumped. Of course, some of the puzzles are a bit odd but generally they're pretty well thought-out and challenging.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:27 pm »

I went ahead and bought it after waiting for a sale for a long time

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/21/the-secret-world-offers-70-off-complete-pre-tokyo-package/

and

http://massivelyop.net/2015/03/19/the-secret-world-is-selling-an-all-in-one-tokyo-pack/

So far from what I've seen (and its just 1 day impressions, so give this a grain of salt), it IS actually really innovative even from a singleplayer game (its an MMO, but its sort of a hybrid really) view point. A lot of MMO players want something different than WoW, but this gets ignored and its completely different than WoW. Its really atmospheric, and some parts so far have been rather creepy. But there is a LOT of humor (at least early on) which I like as well.

One thing I like is right from the start, there is a lot of hidden "lore" to find (sort of like collectibles, but gives you some more parts of the story for finding them)...some of them are in really sneaky places that would be really easy to miss. Supposedly later on these get really challenging to find, and take a lot of searching and doing puzzles to get to some of them. But I'm not that far yet.

The community is definitely really amazing, really helpful...its as good as FFXIV community. I actually like it more than FFXIV one personally and they seem a lot more helpful (FFXIV I tended to be ignored a lot, as players had their own cliche groups going on). The community has a lot more events (most involving RP stuff, but it benefits all the non-rpers too. FFXIV mostly has erpers from what I saw lol, not so much RPers). Like in chat (I'm not far enough yet), they were having an RP event to find a certain place/person/npc or whatever (don't really remember now lol)...but the host of the event, was giving clues and stuff to find it. But you'd actually have to research and think about each clue, so actually the community seems rather smart. It was like an in-game investigation mission, but hosted by the player(s) themselves.

And I had a few rather stupid questions (on purpose, I asked really obvious stupid questions to see how the community reacts) and they were still helpful and nice. So that is my personal experience with the community.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2015, 10:12:06 pm »

The early game is awesome. The New England investigation quests are great and you actually have to think and work your way through because the game gives no hints.  No more mysterious treasure maps that mark on your game map where the treasure is, no more of this bullshit.

Egypt is much more traditional MMO though, less in the way of interesting investigation, more combat, more intense combat, so you have to focus more on combat.

Transylvania has like one interesting investigation quest, I don't remember much.  There's a few easy quests and then the rest is hardcore nightmare quests which are basically designed to be done in a group.  There's a couple builds that can solo them but at that point you're probably max level and only doing them for the last gear you need to start doing heroics or nightmare dungeons. 

My friends and I found out that you could take the dynamite from the new england filth pit zones and as long as you didn't complete the quest you could use them anywhere.  The DPS from those dynamites basically outweighed anything you could do otherwise up until you were partly nightmare geared and trivialized most of the game.  I hated it and I eventually quit over it, because they wouldn't stop using it and it was like "why even play the game?"
Shoes...

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »

The early game is awesome. The New England investigation quests are great and you actually have to think and work your way through because the game gives no hints.  No more mysterious treasure maps that mark on your game map where the treasure is, no more of this bullshit.

Egypt is much more traditional MMO though, less in the way of interesting investigation, more combat, more intense combat, so you have to focus more on combat.

Transylvania has like one interesting investigation quest, I don't remember much.  There's a few easy quests and then the rest is hardcore nightmare quests which are basically designed to be done in a group.  There's a couple builds that can solo them but at that point you're probably max level and only doing them for the last gear you need to start doing heroics or nightmare dungeons. 

My friends and I found out that you could take the dynamite from the new england filth pit zones and as long as you didn't complete the quest you could use them anywhere.  The DPS from those dynamites basically outweighed anything you could do otherwise up until you were partly nightmare geared and trivialized most of the game.  I hated it and I eventually quit over it, because they wouldn't stop using it and it was like "why even play the game?"

Ah, well from what I heard most find Egypt kinda boring (but a few like it I guess) and then the game picks back up after that. But maybe not as good as the first part. Guess I'll just have to see for myself.

I have no interest in raids in MMOs (like WoW forces you to raid to see the storyline which is kinda lame. Luckily I found a glitch in WoW that still exists where you can solo any raid (even their newest ones) as long as your level 100), so dunno how much I'll miss skipping that part...but TSW raids are secondary supposedly so if that is the case, that is good for me. Raids shouldn't mean you can't experience the story in the game and then have to youtube it cause of game mechanics. That has been a huge negative in every themepark MMO I've played.

So if TSW follows that same pattern, guess that will be a HUGE negative for me and a wasted 20 dollars :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 02:38:12 pm »

I dunno how many raids there are but I never played them and got a good feel for the story anyway.  You've probably already found the info honeycombs, they give you a lot of lore with a fun style. 

Spoiler alert:  Basically everything that happens in the game is either Bees, Demons, or the Filth.
Shoes...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 03:11:01 pm »

I picked this up a while back but never got really into it, the storytelling seemed really cool, though. Maybe I'll have to download it again.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 06:17:07 pm »

I found a cool weapon combo.

Sword/blood for a kind of modern vampire-theme kind of character if you want to do the more common one. But it works for mine too, because blood weapons are a book and I'm RPing my character as an unknown nobody author who has written mysteries/horror shortstories and one novel. But, he has also been always paranoid about what is reality and not. So, his main weapon is a book obviously that (in my RP) was handed to him by his grandfather who was also an author (but he didn't write the book)...though the book never did anything until events happened that lead to the game start. As for the sword, his grandfather (the one who raised him) taught him the sword, daggers and a staff...he just ended up liking the sword more.

Otherwise, he is more of a paranoid, nobody author that ended up seeing what he knew was the truth (but never for sure, and some people he told thought he was crazy) ended up being the truth. His main weapon is the book, cause...author...book...:P

Another cool combo that works, is a sword/pistol (that is a ton of fun, and I kind of like it more)...can be like a modern day witch hunter kind of character. But that isn't how I'm RPing my character.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:24:48 pm »

Oh yeah, that's a thing I didn't like.  Outside of healing the build options were pretty limited.  The ability to pick passive skills from any tree allows for combos that couldn't be outdone.  DPS had one build, Assault Rifle/Shotgun.  Load up on multihit-related passives like one in the chamber, spam the basic 3-hit attack, and use shotgun for the buffs.  There were no builds that could compete. 

DPS was sword and chaos or nothing, hammer couldn't compete.  Heals had some variety depending on what kind of healer you wanted to be, I played an offensive AR/Blood build that did respectable DPS but had limited panic-button heals.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2