Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Who sets population caps?  (Read 1936 times)

unknown zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Who sets population caps?
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:46:27 am »

How many of you guys have capped the population in d_init.txt? What did you set the cap to?

I haven't been playing this game long (just a few weeks) and I'm still on my first fortress which has been going for about 3½ years and has gotten a population of about 115 dwarves. I'm not having a hard time keeping everyone fed, hydrated, and clothed, but I am having a hard time keeping everyone busy.. I have between 40-45 idlers at any given time. I just feel like these dwarves aren't contributing to my enjoyment of the game, by which I mean that they're just there degrading my FPS since I don't have a use for them.

I have two military squads and will probably make one more squad, but that still leaves a lot of extra dwarves milling around.

I wanted to play this game as vanilla as possible, but I think I will end up capping the population to about 100 dwarves. My computer isn't that great, it's a 9-year-old laptop with a single-core 2.1 GHz AMD and 1 GB of RAM. I just can't see me keeping so many dwarves busy enough to justify the lower FPS I have to deal with.

What are your thoughts?
Time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Who sets population caps?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:11 am »

If you don't want to get a king, 80~100 dorfs should be enough.
Below 80 means no goblin siege, if you are playing vanilla.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 11:57:41 am »

really no goblins? why?

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »

Not "no goblins,"  "no sieges," because the game requires a population of 80 to initiate a siege. Ambushes start at 20, I think.

Everyone has a population cap, some just leave it at the default of 200. Personally, I might change it depending on how I'm starting, for roleplaying reasons.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:03:13 pm »

Im definitely considering it.  The new version pulls no punches on my FPS.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:18:06 pm »

I set mine to 30ish when I start out.  Once I can afford more dwarfs I'll make a room for them to congregate in when they appear.  That room will be a gladiator arena... whoever is useful/gets out alive will be adopted into the fortress. 
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:56:31 pm »

72, strict cap 84.  My forts still last around 5-6 years max before FPS starts to become unbearable.

Yeah, I'm asking for a new laptop for my birthday.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 08:07:00 am »

Recently, I've been capping mine at around 30, but leave the strict cap at 200 to allow for organic growth. It's been interesting trying to get dwarves to pair off. Interesting as near impossible so far. Still my current fort is progressing well as far as infrastructure and digging go.

You really only need about 20-30 dwarves to set up. Once you hit that, you could raise the cap and get a wave or two for military recruits. Right now I just have a squad of five. Haven't had much trouble.

Yet.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 09:04:45 am »

50-60, occasionally more if I feel ready for it.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 09:10:19 am »

Interesting as near impossible so far.
Have a small dining room/meeting hall for your dorfs, and give as many dwarves as possible time off for Winter. After two game years you will quite possibly see a marriage or two.

If you want to increase the odds, without cheating, you can arrange unfortunate accidents for dwarves that you know can't get married.
()==[:::::::::::::>

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 12:51:12 pm »

Mine's a soft cap of 15 and a hard cap of 220

I might bump the soft cap up to 25 soon. After that, no increases. I want to see my dwarves grow through pure breeding.
You don't get flooded by babies?  What are your child caps?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 01:04:01 pm »

My cap is usually set to 0, but I really enjoy generational forts, and I've gotten good enough at supplying my population that the hordes of children don't affect me.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:59 pm »

I set my child caps at 300% of adult population. They don't get that far very often at all.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 06:17:40 pm »

I usually set my cap at 120, but by the time I get there I almost always have 60-70 loiterers.  Once the fort is fully set up, there isn't much for everyone to do other than hang out and wait for something awful to happen (it always does).
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 07:04:56 pm »

I have regular at 200 and strict at 250 for reasons of yolo.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.
Pages: [1] 2