Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Health and wellness  (Read 3080 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Health and wellness
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:01 pm »

Do you eat dessert? It can be really helpful with eating less, because if you eat till you're half-full and then have half a bar of chocolate, you'll feel full.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 04:44:20 pm »

Not during the day.
And I only eat dessert at nights a few times a week unless we have ice cream or some other dessert item
(I'm trying to either
A) eat healthier foods or
B) eat less if I have to eat not so healthy foods)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 05:06:44 pm »

Just saying that dessert can help with meal size reduction. And as your stomach gets used to smaller meals, after a while you won't need the dessert to feel full.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 05:19:15 pm »

Sounds like the logic behind the potato diet.  Potatoes are filling, so it doesn't take much until you are full.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

If I had the means to, I would go on the potato diet
I love potatoes

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 06:48:39 pm »

For fullness you could go with a huge amount of soups. Soups are good at that. And easy to make so long as you own a blending device.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2015, 06:54:22 pm »

:/ not a big fan of soups and the ones I know how to make are not very healthy.

I might see if my parents will let me go on the potato diet for a bit, I could probably do that for a month or two.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2015, 07:07:01 pm »

A good way to get rid of the gut is to do crunches and work the abs a bit (go swimming even, when the waters warm up, unless there's a heated pool). Start off light, and use the backpack for added weight.

Ehwhaaaa? No. Crunches are never going to make your stomach smaller. Spot reduction is a myth (one that I thought had been hammered to death years ago, but apparently not O_o) The only way to lose the gut is by eating less. (3x8 fork put-downs, 5x5 plate push-aways :P )

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2015, 07:09:10 pm »

I might see if my parents will let me go on the potato diet for a bit, I could probably do that for a month or two.
You don't really "know how to make" soups. You just... do. Take food items, place in blender, blend. Obviously there's an element of things you have to know but a lifetime of eating should be enough to go on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2015, 07:13:05 pm »

Ya crunches didn't help .-.

I can do quite a few of them now though thanks to false hopes  :D
Ya
I'm going to try to exercise more, I have cut down the fatty unhealthy crap I used to eat a lot (I bring lunch to school so I can change my diet however I want for the first two meals of the day, ya I bring breakfast too) and as stated before IIRC dinners at home aren't usually too bad anymore
Though I need to learn self control and not get three platefuls of food just because there is a bunch of food left to be taken.

You don't really "know how to make" soups.  :PYou just... do. Take food items, place in blender, blend. Obviously there's an element of things you have to know but a lifetime of eating should be enough to go on.

*Cryxis bludgeons Graknork with a pan    :P
That does not sound like a proper soup at all!
I have never consumed soup that had ingredients ran through a blender...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »

A good way to get rid of the gut is to do crunches and work the abs a bit (go swimming even, when the waters warm up, unless there's a heated pool). Start off light, and use the backpack for added weight.
Ehwhaaaa? No. Crunches are never going to make your stomach smaller. Spot reduction is a myth (one that I thought had been hammered to death years ago, but apparently not O_o) The only way to lose the gut is by eating less. (3x8 fork put-downs, 5x5 plate push-aways :P )
Considering the amount of food I eat on a regular basis (I'm like one of those cartoon characters that you wonder where all the food goes after they finish eating), I think it's less about eating less, and more about burning more energy than you put in. After all, isn't fat really just unused energy reserves? Just do craploads more activity, but don't change your diet too drastically (trick your body into thinking it has energy to spare, and it should start using that excess instead of the new supply); except maybe eating less processed foods, and eating/drinking more natural stuff (less soda, more fruit juice; have an orange instead of M&Ms or something. Little changes. Drinking more water is a biggie.). I mean, for a good amount of time, while my funds were running kinda short, I invested more in produce than junk food, and over time, I noticed that actually made some difference with my overall energy levels, and my winter weight faded more quickly.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:26:52 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:31 pm »

Well I'm replacing soda (as often as I can bring myself to) with sweet tea (not that great of a change but still better than soda kinda) and water.
I'm eating more fruits and less processed food stuffs.
And I might see if I can pull a 'push yourself to your limits' exercise regiment tonight.
I'm going to be sore tomorrow and it's uniform day but I don't much care...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 02:07:55 am »

*Cryxis bludgeons Graknork with a pan    :P
That does not sound like a proper soup at all!
I have never consumed soup that had ingredients ran through a blender...
It is a food product that is very much liquidy. The only real difference between that and the stock-boiling type is that it's thicker (which is beneficial for these purposes) and requires less thought in making.

I think it's less about eating less, and more about burning more energy than you put in. After all, isn't fat really just unused energy reserves? Just do craploads more activity, but don't change your diet too drastically
Throughout a day you're going to burn somewhere in the region of 2000 calories just keeping yourself alive. More the higher your body mass and the lower the temperature. The most you're going to burn with exercise is a couple hundred, maybe coming up on a thousand if you're going at professional athlete levels. It still isn't going to make up a majority of your calories burned though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 04:48:05 am »

I think it's less about eating less, and more about burning more energy than you put in. After all, isn't fat really just unused energy reserves? Just do craploads more activity, but don't change your diet too drastically (trick your body into thinking it has energy to spare, and it should start using that excess instead of the new supply)

Well, they are both the same thing. You're just taking the calories out of the start of the equation rather than taking them out at the end. Usually it's easier for people just to eat less - it's really easy to eat back more than you burned, especially accounting for the extra hunger caused by exercise. How many times have you heard "I exercised today, so I deserve a <some sort of horrendous calorie-filled thing>" (or similar variant)?

I mean yeah, it can help if you're doing a lot of exercise, but for most overweight people this is unfeasible. They're usually sedentary and depending how overweight you are, high-impact activity can be out of the question. If you get a sedentary person pushing their hardest they're still only going to burn a couple hundred calories. Anything more and it just gets miserable.

Way easier to not eat over maintenance than to overeat and try to burn the extra off.

(less soda, more fruit juice; have an orange instead of M&Ms or something. Little changes. Drinking more water is a biggie.). I mean, for a good amount of time, while my funds were running kinda short, I invested more in produce than junk food, and over time, I noticed that actually made some difference with my overall energy levels, and my winter weight faded more quickly.

Well I'm replacing soda (as often as I can bring myself to) with sweet tea (not that great of a change but still better than soda kinda) and water.
I'm eating more fruits and less processed food stuffs.

Eating less processed stuff is a good idea, but remember you can still lose weight eating pretty much pure crap - just comes down to portion size. Though definitely you have way more energy when you're getting enough veggies and pulses etc. No 'afternoon crash' is the best benefit imo.

Soda/sweet tea/fruit juice are all pretty much identical nutritionally. The sweet tea and fruit juice can actually have more sugar per ounce than cola, sprite etc. So just be careful if you're thinking it's a healthier substitute. Would be more effective to switch to diet soda, green/black tea, or (the horror) water.

And I might see if I can pull a 'push yourself to your limits' exercise regiment tonight.
I'm going to be sore tomorrow and it's uniform day but I don't much care...

Have fun. :)

edit: somehow post got snipped
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:58:08 am by Caz »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 08:19:17 am »

I dunno I'm pretty sure mildly sweetened tea has less sugar than fago  :P

That and tea isn't carbonated nor does it contain the same powerful acids so I would say it's at the very least better for your teeth and (if my sister is trustworthy on the matter) your stomach lining.

I will say I'm glad I'm not one of the kids addicted to energy drinks, I've heard some brutal stories about after effects from drinking those wayyyyyyy too much.

Tried the exercising but didn't get enough time to push myself that much.
Sat on the floor to do sit ups and upon just barely trying to get up I could feel every vertebrae in my spine pop...
Felt good but still...
Still got a half decent work out
30 sit-ups, 10 push ups (I can no haz arm strength), 50 jumping jacks, some fatigue stuff with my arms and light weights, and some general reps with weights.
Not bad
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4