Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Health and wellness  (Read 3079 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Health and wellness
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 02:19:50 pm »

What kind of exercise/sports is everyone in to? I used to swim a bit, but then they demolished the public swimming pool nearby (jerks...). After that I got into weightlifting. Lifting heavy things as recreation probably sounds ridiculous, but it's fun to me. :P

I walk to work(about 20 mins each way), and go up the 6 stories of stairs of my workplace twice a day.

Other than that, I am basically a lazy couch potato.  I'd kind of like to run, but my social anxiety makes it so I don't want to be seen doing anything by people.   :P  I'm not really overweight though so I guess it doesn't matter.  I'll save my exercise for retirement when I live like a hermit in the woods.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:22:39 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 03:29:08 pm »

What kind of exercise/sports is everyone in to? I used to swim a bit, but then they demolished the public swimming pool nearby (jerks...). After that I got into weightlifting. Lifting heavy things as recreation probably sounds ridiculous, but it's fun to me. :P
archery
I like ice skating/roller blading when I can but its a bit hard to find time to do it.

also LARPing if that counts
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 11:19:01 pm »

Started health kick today, any comments or improvements are welcome.

Had a breakfast for once in my life consisting of two oatmeal bar things and some apple juice.
Lunch consisted of 1 serving of apple chips, 1 1/2 serving of sun chips, bag of cashews macadamias and almonds, water, and (because my friends are jerks who give away free food  :P) some half baked school fries and a quarter of a small cheese burger.
I had a less healthy dinner of a microwave oven pizza.
Dessert consisting of some cereal and a banana.

I also did some exercises.
I did (fatigue?) exercises with 3lb weights where you hold your arms out at the sides (weights optional) for as long as you can, did some normal dumbell thingys with two 20lb weights and then did stretching, squats, 20 sit ups, 50 jumping jacks and I think that's it..

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 07:00:04 pm »

Oh, I guess diet counts for health as well.  I take fiber powder(metamucil) and mix it with granola and hot water to make a horrible oatmeal type substance that I consume every morning.  I do this because my butt-doctor says I need to forever.  If you ever want to avoid the butt-doctor, you should probably take fiber powder every day too.  (Pro-Tip, you want to avoid the butt-doctor).
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 10:13:57 pm »

.-. But my poops no clogged

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 10:19:54 pm »

Oh, I guess diet counts for health as well.  I take fiber powder(metamucil) and mix it with granola and hot water to make a horrible oatmeal type substance that I consume every morning.  I do this because my butt-doctor says I need to forever.  If you ever want to avoid the butt-doctor, you should probably take fiber powder every day too.  (Pro-Tip, you want to avoid the butt-doctor).
Do you see ChairmanPoo?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 11:22:52 pm »

My old uni crush is a butt doctor :(

She never paid me any mind. Meh.  >:(  :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 11:29:31 pm »

Lol

So anybody got tips on exercises someone can do with very little free time to do them?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 12:15:58 am »

Something I've been getting into with some of my free time (which I realized I have again) is endurance running; since for the longest time, I have an excellent surplus of power, but crap endurance to keep it (in other words, I can sprint like nobody else, but I have crap for stamina). To remedy it, I found an endurance running chart that helps me balance it out a bit more. Basically, walking and jogging at intervals, and extending them as the weeks progress, topping off at about half an hour of walking/jogging. Having a nice long stretch of beach at least helps me for an uninterrupted session of doing so; although, it's a hell of a challenge to run through softer sand patches.

While the water's nice and cold, I can at least stop and stand around for a bit as my feet cool off after all the impact. Seeing as the weather's improved again, I might get back to it again. I've been getting more out of my running. If I can afford to take some yoga classes again, I can probably keep everything in gear during some of the downtime. When the water warms back up again, I can probably just dive into the water and let my whole body relax after all that, and maybe work on another swimming technique (primarily one where I don't need to use my legs for a fair bit), or fight currents to keep the strength up, while working on the endurance. A good quarter-mile of waist/chest-deep current resisting (or charging through it, more like) is also a good way to work on the lower half, mostly for endurance. Not easy when you have waves hitting you from the side though.

I've noticed that thanks to all that, anytime hurricane season comes along, storm surges are actually pretty fun to ride through, even getting mashed against the beach wall, or dodging them under the boardwalks. I don't fully recall how large a wave has to be to knock me onto the ground. But I know that despite having a relatively smaller frame than most people, I'm a tank. Getting out of the churning waters, however, is where the real fun is.

EDIT:
That reminds me, I gotta get back to surfing again.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:22:20 am by Itnetlolor »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 11:14:52 am »

So anybody got tips on exercises someone can do with very little free time to do them?

Bodyweight squats, pushups, planks, lunges, pullups (needs a bar), dips (needs two chairs/stable platform), burpees, pistol squats (for the pro :P)

With a couple of dumbbells you can increase that to overhead pressing, goblet squats, db deadlift, curls, bent rows, tricep extensions, shrugs etc. There's lots you can do!

I'd also say something re: not having free time. No one ever has enough free time, but it's worth taking time for certain things, especially exercise.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 11:16:59 am »

Truly it is written: "Which suits your busy schedule better: exercising for an hour a day, or being dead twenty-four hours a day?"

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 11:23:12 am »

« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 10:06:29 am by penguinofhonor »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 11:58:25 am »

well im putting education over health at this point
Im in two advanced (for this school  :P) math classes along with a normal schedual and homework basicaly kills my whole free time after school.
I have maybe an hour if im lucky open to myself for what I want to do everyday...
Weekends are usualy buisy too but I can definatly open that up

sorry for bad grammars

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 02:18:59 pm »

If it's not too much additional hassle, try to work in some exercise on the way to class. Park further away and go the distance, or something. Bring a weight with you to use during your downtime between classes or something. Carry more than usual in your backpack and get some additional training from that. I dunno. Just ideas off the top of my head.

Also, I just recently got a kayak from my sister to use, so that'll be something new to try out. Keep my arms working out, and enjoy more of the local scenery. Even better now that I don't have to worry about renting one. Only hassle is carrying the damn thing. Oh well, hopefully my arms haven't lost too much now that I'm no longer doing manual labor; carrying it will keep that from happening.

EDIT:
A good way to get rid of the gut is to do crunches and work the abs a bit (go swimming even, when the waters warm up, unless there's a heated pool). Start off light, and use the backpack for added weight. Hell, use your arms to carry the backpack instead of your back, if you can handle the stresses. Exchange arms if it gets too much, and when both arms are exhausted, wear it normally like a backpack.

I used to do that during my classes with the ghetto-pack (same shopping bag from the bookstore for my classes for a whole semester, with replacement bags reinforcing it; managing the weight and preventing the bag from falling apart was an added challenge.). Carrying my graphic design equipment alongside for other classes added to the challenge, along with bringing my books and binders for other classes. My fingers and forearms got really strong from all that. Learning to run while hauling that without compromising the bag structure was the real challenge.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:59:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 03:31:26 pm »

I don't drive.
I also don't use my locker so my backpack is full
reason I don't use my locker? my classes are at the opposite ends of school and I only have 5 minutes between classes...
I walk a good 2 miles each day while carrying a ~50lb bag
I have good leg strength but no arm strength
I also want to get rid of this gut
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4