Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22

Author Topic: [RPG] -Grim Hearts- A Dex Souls-like. (Currently experiencing downtime.)  (Read 30270 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: [RPG] -Grim Hearts- A Dex Souls-like. (Currently experiencing downtime.)
« Reply #300 on: February 26, 2015, 09:54:25 pm »

...You could take it like I wasn't accusing you at all, firstly. Assumptions don't help that kind of discourse--but the wording is what gave that connotation, though it is taken both ways with a point in both. :P

Meaning, its a poke on your wording. Your post back there lacked the context that your post right now, has. It is not readily inferred, either. ._.
Though I do get how you saw it. I could've added detail to it--your part of 'you're not being selfish' also fills in that area where it doesn't detail anything.

However, one tiny bit which really needs correction:
Nobody actually does anything truly selfless; they can do things that are far more selfless than selfish, but every action has some token amount of self-serving motivation behind it, even if it's just 'I like helping people'.
The orange bit. It's a very common notion which has found numerous and credible application in the world, especially within the philosophy of Functionalism--but honestly, there are people who do things without any regard to the self--nor with any gain for their being, even if subconscious or unconscious; this philosophy is diluted by the secondary orange portion in which that found support...in the same criteria which supports the first orange part; application of personal viewpoint onto others, which does not necessarily apply to everyone, or rather reasoning that which applies to many people, must apply to all. The problem, in brief, is that it generalizes many, many people (too general to be a universal fact) and doesn't necessarily take in the personal viewpoint (how the person really thinks and acts), but rather the 'most common' viewpoint there, as it usually, typically infers that there's a motive behind the action that revolves around the self.

There are people who act with 'truly' selfless motives, and it is a challenge to believe that, given the status quo of many people today. (I like that level of insight there though; it could do with a bit more adjustment towards checking own beliefs, though I can really see what you mean).
I could expound on this if you want. Reminds me of all the debates we have in Philosophy and Psychology about it x3
You could take my tone a bit less provocative though, given past experience with it ^ ^ I see my error in wording there, and apologies ahead if it was taken that way.

That...and I'm a bit concerned due to knowing the etymology and development of the word; while it does have neutral connotations, the negative connotations have been...applied(?) not for a longer period of time, but in the present and modern time does it have a feeling of negative > neutral.
...By which I mean I'm fully aware of its non-negative meaning and am having trouble in saying that clearly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:09:24 pm by Tiruin »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:25 pm »

Should we make a philosophy thread?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 26, 2015, 10:03:39 pm »

Should we make a philosophy thread?
I don't necessarily think we need that--we've got that covered in the many smaller conversations we have here, however I am all for it.
Though we all do wish well for Dex (and anyone else related).

...However if that really is in consideration, we need an OP rule that would cover most points that may lead to a (bad) derail or a one-sided discussion. Other than the forum guidelines, anyway.

...I'd also like to somewhat know the 'Behind the Scenes in Dexworks' here, because the art always is phenomenal to me. The lines and all in between represent a very creative and imaginitive mind.
That, or its my 'affinity towards art', as described by a friend who noticed such a thing.
...My mind jumps on many tangents here. Sorry for messiness.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:06:30 pm by Tiruin »

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't you hear the beating?
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #303 on: February 27, 2015, 02:30:00 am »

'Behind the Scenes in Dexworks'

Well since we are already kinda derailed here why not go ahead and ask? What behind the scenes stuff do you wanna know? Maybe it can lead to some sort of discovery if we discuss this.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

If you enjoy my work, please view my website and also consider clicking the Patreon button! You might even be interested enough to pay me a little so I can keep living!

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2015, 03:06:18 am »

What made you want to make this dark soulsy game?
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2015, 04:59:22 am »

What made you want to make this dark soulsy game?

same thing as when I get the urge to make anything else. I have this feeling in the back of my head that drives me to create stories and most of all games. Forum games are games but ultimately they are poisonous to my way of being, yet its what I can do right now.

I chose to make it dark souls-like because I randomly realized how to make a stamina based combat system thats also turn based one day and thought about what fit the bill.

Also dark souls is pretty cool and has a powerful atmosphere.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

If you enjoy my work, please view my website and also consider clicking the Patreon button! You might even be interested enough to pay me a little so I can keep living!

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2015, 04:54:27 am »

okay enthusiasm on my part is pretty dead when it comes to Grim Hearts because of my typical bullshit, and I can't find a coder worth shit because... Shenanigans? Im not sure, it just seems implausible... But I might have another idea?

What if, I make a forum adventure, that's basically just made out of assets for a game. The mechanics of the forum adventure is how the game functions, so I could present the forum adventure itself to coders and go "this is precisely how the game should work" and they would grasp it based on reading it? It would be like working on a game in essence but you guys also get to "play" it. It would be a single character though, mass controlled by commands instead of many people. I shouldn't even think about multiplayer on my first proper outing in game creation.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 01, 2015, 05:49:03 am »

What if, I make a forum adventure, that's basically just made out of assets for a game. The mechanics of the forum adventure is how the game functions, so I could present the forum adventure itself to coders and go "this is precisely how the game should work" and they would grasp it based on reading it? It would be like working on a game in essence but you guys also get to "play" it. It would be a single character though, mass controlled by commands instead of many people. I shouldn't even think about multiplayer on my first proper outing in game creation.

That reminds me of this game, in a way. A different concept, it seems, but reminiscent as well? It seemed pretty fun while it lasted, which was for a short time, unfortunately.

Also, hello. I don't recall if I've been in this thread before, but I've been watching it a bit.

Forum games are games but ultimately they are poisonous to my way of being, yet its what I can do right now.

I think I understand where you're coming from with this as well. Would this be the trouble of trying to imitate another format (usually a tabletop RPG, sometimes a video game) in the scope of a forum game (since a forum game is an easy format to arrange, unlike others), an endeavor that is usually doomed to failure? Or is it some other issue I am less aware of?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:50:54 am by Harry Baldman »

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #308 on: March 01, 2015, 05:54:57 am »

Forum games are games but ultimately they are poisonous to my way of being, yet its what I can do right now.

I think I understand where you're coming from with this as well. Would this be the trouble of trying to imitate another format (usually a tabletop RPG, sometimes a video game) in the scope of a forum game (since a forum game is an easy format to arrange, unlike others), an endeavor that is usually doomed to failure? Or is it some other issue I am less aware of?

The trouble of it for me is that I get "creative fatigue" from my "perfectionist drive / always update daily drive". I physically pour myself into working on something almost all my waking hours of every single day because I have nothing else to do. So after a while when I need a break I cant stop. So I shatter myself.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 01, 2015, 06:10:59 am »

The trouble of it for me is that I get "creative fatigue" from my "perfectionist drive / always update daily drive". I physically pour myself into working on something almost all my waking hours of every single day because I have nothing else to do. So after a while when I need a break I cant stop. So I shatter myself.

Does diversifying your output help with this, perhaps? I tend to work on a favorites system with my games, where I update the ones that are qualified for an update when I feel like updating them. So that usually results in more frequent updates for one game and less frequent ones for another. Right now, The Forgotten Art (and Worm: Edwardstown, but that has about two players presently, partly due to my lack of updates and, I presume, stonewalling GM practices) is getting a bit shafted since I'm more focused on Life Begins at Death and Inexorable.

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #310 on: March 01, 2015, 06:12:40 am »

Does diversifying your output help with this, perhaps? I tend to work on a favorites system with my games, where I update the ones that are qualified for an update when I feel like updating them. So that usually results in more frequent updates for one game and less frequent ones for another. Right now, The Forgotten Art (and Worm: Edwardstown, but that has about two players presently, partly due to my lack of updates and, I presume, stonewalling GM practices) is getting a bit shafted since I'm more focused on Life Begins at Death and Inexorable.

It does not, it only makes me more stressed to have more than one project. Nothing really seems to give me rest when I am engaged with a product.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 01, 2015, 06:29:45 am »

I see. And I'd assume rigid (but with room for breaks between updates) scheduling would only make it more stressful, if only because it's the most immediate piece of advice that comes to my mind in response to this issue.

Have you tried working on something that's largely effortless and presents no real artistic difficulty? Like a deliberately unpolished ISG or perhaps even a multiplayer forum game with a scant few or no illustrations?

Or diversify your output in some other way, such as a pure writing project or a pure music project?

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #312 on: March 01, 2015, 06:36:09 am »

I see. And I'd assume rigid (but with room for breaks between updates) scheduling would only make it more stressful, if only because it's the most immediate piece of advice that comes to my mind in response to this issue.

Have you tried working on something that's largely effortless and presents no real artistic difficulty? Like a deliberately unpolished ISG or perhaps even a multiplayer forum game with a scant few or no illustrations?

Or diversify your output in some other way, such as a pure writing project or a pure music project?

I have, and lowered effort means it kicks off the perfectionism and makes me hate myself to the point of punching myself a lot. Trying other projects makes me angry at myself because I suck at it. I guess im just a sissy asshole...

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 01, 2015, 06:50:11 am »

I have, and lowered effort means it kicks off the perfectionism and makes me hate myself to the point of punching myself a lot. Trying other projects makes me angry at myself because I suck at it. I guess im just a sissy asshole...

The simplest answer to that is that sucking at something for long enough and intently enough can make you start getting better at it. Of course, starting out at something and sucking at it badly is usually disheartening enough to put off most. Important to know that you could be an exception if you kept to it long enough.

You could treat these other projects as explorations rather than as objects of proper art, made to assess your capabilities and weaknesses. Then you can attempt to address them iteratively and systematically. Correspond with a trusted, honest individual to confirm your own impressions and assess progress.

This, of course, is an idealized solution, and I'm not really sure anyone could properly do it for very long. Might be worth a shot, though.

Dexexe1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dexworks
« Reply #314 on: March 01, 2015, 06:55:19 am »

The simplest answer to that is that sucking at something for long enough and intently enough can make you start getting better at it. Of course, starting out at something and sucking at it badly is usually disheartening enough to put off most. Important to know that you could be an exception if you kept to it long enough.

You could treat these other projects as explorations rather than as objects of proper art, made to assess your capabilities and weaknesses. Then you can attempt to address them iteratively and systematically. Correspond with a trusted, honest individual to confirm your own impressions and assess progress.

This, of course, is an idealized solution, and I'm not really sure anyone could properly do it for very long. Might be worth a shot, though.

Eehhh. I have already had projects like that... I get that you want to help but none of this seems like it would work on me properly... Sorry to dissapoint.

Dexworks
Dexworks.net IRC channel

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22