Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE wasn't enough?  (Read 7400 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE wasn't enough?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 02:29:43 am »

If you used that many WMDs, you probbably got more negative rep than if you'd straight-out allied with the damn things.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 02:34:49 am »

So? Everyone who wared with me I just nuked to death.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 04:57:01 pm »

Apparently they did a livestream yesterday, and the video of it is up now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPwo53ezxGA

EDIT: It actually gives off a vague XCOM vibe. The tactical battles are turn based on another map based on the surroundings, and the rest of the game is based primarily on improving your fleet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:02:21 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 08:52:40 am »

That was quick.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 08:58:47 am »

That is... Cheap?
Love, scriver~

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 09:26:58 am »

I wonder if this is just essentially reskinned Pirates! in space, like Beyond Earth is just Civilization V in space. :/

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2015, 12:57:49 pm »

I wonder if this is just essentially reskinned Pirates! in space, like Beyond Earth is just Civilization V in space. :/

I would totally buy thaT

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2015, 06:23:43 pm »

It's nowhere near Pirates in space.
The video I linked has a ton of gameplay footage.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 02:22:16 pm »

Considering the information out there, it's reasonable to conclude Starships is not much more than Ace Patrol IN SPACE.

It's not Pirates, nor a full-fledged 4X space strategy game. Might still be pretty good, as Ace Patrol was, but it's a budget game and people should adjust their expectations accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:23:48 pm by Greenbane »

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 01:09:21 am »

pretty good, as Ace Patrol was
Pffft ;)

Ace Patrol maybe would be "good enough" if it came from some inexperienced startup, but for a Sid Meier title, it`s a bit of a joke. A shallow mobile game, poorly ported - to put it bluntly. From the man who`s basically a Design God...nope. 

Sure, I don`t even blame him - he`s been around forever and has done his bit, and maybe can`t even be bothered too much anymore...so when some suits approach him with this kind of dev roadmap and a nice check, he says "yes". Starships looks a bit more advanced than AP...but still. Why expectations have to be low, why not demand what we deserve in 2015?

I consider Pirates! to be the best non-roguelike (though they have a lot in common) videogame of all time. It has been created 28 years ago - have we really moved on in terms of gameplay in AAA games? Nope.

Imagine the worlds in vein of Pirates! that could be created with today`s resources and advances in design and AI. Then look at AP again. And that`s why it`s left to people like Dwarf Brothers, the Rimworld guy and few others to carry Sid`s torch these days.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 07:32:00 am »

I'd love a new Pirates! game (even a sci-fi take on it), or true 4X space strategy from Firaxis. But Starships isn't it: there's enough information supporting the fact it's a budget title only modestly more advanced than Ace Patrol.

Expecting it to be more than that at this point only sets you up for disappointment. That's all I'm saying. We can dream all we want, but we can hardly demand anything.

When it comes to commercial games, I tend to judge their worth according to their price. Ace Patrol was a nifty little game for 10 dollars, and I'm pretty sure Starships will be just fine for 15. But there's no point in expecting full AAA quality and depth from it.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 10:17:53 am »

lets face it. fecies sell if you print the name sid meier on them.
so, firaxis does whats in the best interest of their share holders: they make civ games that are just good enough to keep the label running, and aside of that, they produce crap because they know it sells anyway.
they make remake after remake of their old games for  25 years now.  im quite convinced no interesting and creative game will be sold under this label ever again.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 06:19:14 pm »

I personally plan to buy the game day 1. (give or take a couple days)

It looks like a simple fun game and has a price to match. That's all I really want at this point.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2015, 10:39:49 am »

It just got the 'Recommended' stamp at Eurogamer, - and it sounds very nice as a short session game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-12-sid-meiers-starships-review
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4