Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE wasn't enough?  (Read 7392 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE wasn't enough?
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:57 pm »

Sid Meier's Starships was just announced.
In the game, you'll control a fleet of starships as you journey through the galaxy to complete missions, protect planets and their inhabitants, and build a planetary federation.
2K adds that the missions you'll take on have their own unique maps, featuring "dynamically generated tactical combat" that should boost the game's replayability.
2K also teases that Beyond Earth and Starships will feature cross-connectivity for people who own both games. The developer isn't talking specifics, but says that this integration will "enhance and expand upon both game experiences."

A turn based strategy game where you control a fleet of ships (seemingly not a civilization, though. Not directly, at least.) and go around the galaxy post-Beyond Earth with a series of goals.

According to the description so far, seems to not be "reskinned Civ 5" like Beyond Earth, and more its own thing.
I would post images, but I can't figure out how to get that darned image fit tag.
PC, Mac, and iPad versions were announced.
As you trek through the stars, you'll be challenged to expand your federation's influence and reach. You'll also amass futuristic technology and take part in turn-based combat using a deep roster of customizable ships, some of which you can see in the image gallery above.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:30:29 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE was enough?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 09:25:57 pm »

So is it going to be like Sid Meier's FTL or Sid Meier's Space Pirates?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE wasn't enough?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:53:34 pm »

iPad version
Hopefully this is an offshoot, and not an indication of the final product, otherwise it's going to be Civilization Revolution all over again: a cheap, dumbed down game not worth the loss of complexity.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:05:33 pm »

Yeah, hopefully they don't dumb it down too much. I miss my Civ IV micromanaging!

In any case, PTW in case it turns out okay.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 10:08:09 pm »

iPad version
Hopefully this is an offshoot, and not an indication of the final product, otherwise it's going to be Civilization Revolution all over again: a cheap, dumbed down game not worth the loss of complexity.
Given that it's been announced a few months before it'd have to be released to be on schedule, I'm not terribly hopeful.

On the other hand, it was supposedly worked on by Meier himself, so the odds of it being "small but neat" shouldn't be too bad.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE was enough?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:22:03 pm »

So is it going to be like Sid Meier's FTL or Sid Meier's Space Pirates?
Both of these sound awesome.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:37:47 pm »

Honestly it sounds like beyond earth but with the scifi bent and full unit customisation of alpha centauri.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 10:59:54 pm »

Colour me interested!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 11:17:25 pm »

iPad version

iPad, not iPhone.  So it is geared to run on a tablet computer, not a phone.

It would be nice to see an original project from Firaxis for a change.  Hopefully, they will shamelessly steal from similar indy games in the past couple of years that were based on similar themes.  Create something more refined than the half-complete mess that usually results from this concept.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 11:20:40 pm »

ptw
It's FEF, not FEOF

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 11:21:09 pm »

It would be nice to see an original project from Firaxis for a change.

No, they need to remake Covert Action.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:25 pm »

Am I wrong in thinking an iPad is just an iphone with a bigger screen and battery?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 11:23:46 pm »

No, it's exactly that. Maybe slightly better CPU.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 11:27:44 pm »

To be honest though, it's fucking terrible getting a decent UI onto a screen that small, apart from that and the restricted environment of the os, iPads are so much more capable than the majority of how they are used. I wish I could get my old snes/ ooold windows games running on it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 11:57:19 pm »

The announcement got me excited since I was (unreasonably?) expecting Sid Meier's Pirates! but in space. I pretty much lost all interest when I found out it was a TBS which may very much be a mobile port. :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4