Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miners, why you no mine, friends?  (Read 1180 times)

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miners, why you no mine, friends?
« on: January 18, 2015, 06:05:04 pm »

Okay, I've been away from DF for a while, so I picked it up again today.
I have my grand dining hall marked out for digging, but my miners are with the common rabble (as mining is what every dorf boy should dream of) building walls.

Walls.

I am on .23 and I used DwarfTherapist to take them off every other job, except Feeding Patients/Recovering Wounded. Help please.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miners, why you no mine, friends?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 06:26:57 pm »

Okay, I've been away from DF for a while, so I picked it up again today.
I have my grand dining hall marked out for digging, but my miners are with the common rabble (as mining is what every dorf boy should dream of) building walls.

Walls.

I am on .23 and I used DwarfTherapist to take them off every other job, except Feeding Patients/Recovering Wounded. Help please.
Yep, Toady change it, because a lot of people was complaing about it how it's work, so now every free dwarf will go and build walls, if he doesn't have other intresting tasks. Just assign your miners, give them designations (look, now there can be desigantion OR JUST A MARK, stay focused), and They should go to work with short delay.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:31:43 pm »

Well, I did designate it, but my miners have been building walls instead. Maybe I'll just wait it out. Good to know about the change though. :)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 07:09:24 pm »

If it's designated in blue then the mining job has been "marked" but not designated. It's like a suspended designation. use [d][M] to turn it from marked to designated.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 07:19:52 pm »

By the way, jobs are changed a bit so maybe DT doesn't disable all jobs.
Check that manually.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 07:32:59 pm »

Push comes to shove, you can just disable building walls for the miners. It's under the other labors tab, with architecture, cleaning, and levering.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 09:40:37 pm »

Push comes to shove, you can just disable building walls for the miners. It's under the other labors tab, with architecture, cleaning, and levering.
By the way, jobs are changed a bit so maybe DT doesn't disable all jobs.
Check that manually.

I took your advice and I literally spent 10 minutes trying to re-learn and follow the wiki to figure out how to manually turn off labors.. I rely way too much on DT.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:05:40 am »

V P l Pgup Enter Downarrow enter Downarrow enter.

That should do the trick.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 06:14:23 am »

On DF 0.40.23 there is a bug where miners will ignore lower designation jobs if higher designation jobs are available. Like if there are a cluster of gems you really want mined, but they can't get there for some reason, they will ignore digging boring hallways elsewhere.

Also, if you're using Windows, there is an unofficial version of DF compiled for Windows that supports the new jobs.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.msg5957882#msg5957882
()==[:::::::::::::>

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 06:41:43 am »

It's in therapist, too.Or were you already refering to dt?