Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17

Author Topic: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14  (Read 23468 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 10 : Arrival
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2015, 09:32:34 am »

Well, as long as there's water ice, we can make due, so my Vote would be Eridani III. We'll need to keep an eye out for asteroid impacts though...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2015, 11:14:44 am »

Well, as long as there's water ice, we can make due, so my Vote would be Eridani III. We'll need to keep an eye out for asteroid impacts though...
Given that e Eri II is dead I cannot look further from e Eri III.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2015, 11:39:56 am »

Eri II could be made habitable, with a heroic terraforming project involving asteroids working over hundreds or thousands of years.  Building asteroid bases are also a good long term human habitation option.

Eri III is almost certainly what we need land though if we are going to build a colony, with the LSL we can hopefully make some kind of CO2 to O2 processor.

How much N2 is in the atmosphere though?  It would be pretty bad if we were super limited by N2.

In the other hand, probably a lot of minerals?  I don't know.

Cracking the crust, christ, no amount of digging down is gonna protect us from an asteroid like that.

Event selection :

- Destination :Er III
    - Other : Double check the moons are not going to collide in the next ~1000 years

Your crew leader is currently awake.

Orders, if any, for the flight: Remember Orbital Survey Satellite for before we land.

Nunzillor

« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2015, 11:47:58 am »

What about the moons?  Not that they look very promising...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2015, 11:48:38 am »

Eri II could be made habitable, with a heroic terraforming project involving asteroids working over hundreds or thousands of years.  Building asteroid bases are also a good long term human habitation option.

Eri III is almost certainly what we need land though if we are going to build a colony, with the LSL we can hopefully make some kind of CO2 to O2 processor.

How much N2 is in the atmosphere though?  It would be pretty bad if we were super limited by N2.

In the other hand, probably a lot of minerals?  I don't know.

Cracking the crust, christ, no amount of digging down is gonna protect us from an asteroid like that.

Event selection :

- Destination :Er III
    - Other : Double check the moons are not going to collide in the next ~1000 years

Your crew leader is currently awake.

Orders, if any, for the flight: Remember Orbital Survey Satellite for before we land.
+1
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2015, 04:15:57 am »

Shoving my support in for the above, since I dont really have any major objections or any suggestions that may apply...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2015, 11:56:19 am »

Shoving my support in for the above, since I dont really have any major objections or any suggestions that may apply...
+1

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Update 6
« Reply #187 on: February 17, 2015, 04:17:13 pm »

Update 11
April 2084. Epsilon Eridani-3

Slowly, the SSN Discovery cruises on it's final destination, Epsilon Eridani-3. It's been a long voyage, and only a miracle that no one died along the way. Though oft damaged, the vessel still stands strong, and despite all that happened to them, the crew is prepared to do what it takes to make sure that the mission succeeds. As the vessel closes in on Epsilon Eridani, new information becomes known.

Eridani-III

The close proximity to Eridani's asteroid belt has left it's mark on this planet (orbit 2.5 AU). A relatively recent impact has clearly cracked the crust of this average sized planet (0.9 earth mass). Strong volcanic activity, perhaps a result of the impact,  has resulted in a dense atmosphere approaching 0.5 atm, created mostly off carbon dioxide and -monoxide, xenon, argon, and vulcanic sulfur-compounds. Water ice has been confirmed to exist on the planet's poles, which are significantly colder than the average 250 Kelvin temperature.

Interestingly this planet has not one but two moons. A large moon, slightly smaller than Earth's, with a smaller companion in it's Lagrange point. Since this position is not entirely stable, it's expected that the two will eventually collide.

Epsilon Eridani has a very long orbit around it's sun, taking more than 4 years, or almost 1600 days. Orbital eccentricity is low, being neglible for the climate of the planet. Eridani-III's axial tilt, is much stranger than that of Earth. Though it is stabilized by the presence by it's large moon, the axial tilt is 35 degrees, larger than Earth, which result in larger polar circles. Eridani rotates around it's axis every 14 hours, and has a gravitational arceleraton of 8.71m/s2

The moons, upon closer investigation, don't seem like they'll collide soon. The larger moon completes an orbit around it's host planet every 35 days, it's smaller moonlet following it around. Analysis also reviews that unless something disturbs the orbit, the collision shouldn't happen in the immediate near future.

Atmospherical analysis confirms original results, with an atmosphere of 0.5 atm. Composition is confirmed at 35% Carbon Monoxide, 25% carbon dioxide, 10% argon, 10% xenon, 9% Sulfur Dioxide, 7% Sulfur Hexafluoride, 3% Hydrogen Sulfide, 1% other. Temperature  are however shown to be colder than expected, ranging from less than 170 at the dark pole (a temperature cold enough to result in the spontaneous freezing of carbon dioxide), to 200-220 Kelvin at the Equator.

Now, the surface geometry is as interesting as it is varied. Near the equator, at a latitude of 20 degrees, sits the large crater that the ship noticed earlier from orbit. It is big enough to land in, and the geometry seems flat. Despite significant winds , the crater remains quite steep, which probably ensures the formation of significant water ice reserves in the crater sides.

The surrounding plains are littered with debris, though appear to be swept clean by frequent strong winds. While the temperatures are cold enough to result in the formation of water ice on the entire planet, the strong winds and Carbon dioxide sublimation cycles have probably prevented the accumulation of large ice reserves in these areas. Small craters or underground ice reserves could provide an alternative sources.

On the opposite side of the planet, the picture is a lot less serene. Vulcanic eruptions there are much more frequent there than on this side, and the area is more mountainous. While this might make landing somewhat harder, the mountains protect against the dust storms that tend to form on the plains. The volcano's themselves might make a source of energy and materials.

After that's there's also the two poles. For now, one is deep within an artic winter. Temperatures are cold, ice reserves are significant and the atmosphere is stable, though at places solidifying. The other pole has large glaciers, containing a mixture of solified carbon dioxide and water ice, which are now slowly melting under the constant sun .

Turn 11 status: April 2084:

Starship: SSN Discovery
Total Size: 110 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)
2 Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons). Size 5 units, Mass 8 units. Electricity 5 MW
1 Large Closed Loop Life Support /w hydroponics. Size  8. Mass 5. Electricity: 10 MW.  (30 awake / 150cryosleep)
1 Damage Control & machine shop. Size 4. Mass 2. Electricity 1 MW
1 Medical Bay. Size 2. Mass 1. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Recreational Commons. Size 4. Mass 4 units. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Large Cargo bay  /w industrial cargo handling system. Size: 43. Mass: 2.
1 Small Cargo bay /w industrial cargo handling system Size : 11, Mass: 0.5
1 He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk.2.  Size 8  Mass 5  Generates 75 MW. Uses 0.75 Fuel/year
1 Electrostatic Ion Engine. Size 3. Mass 5. Electricity 5 MW. Thrust 25
1 He-3 Fuel Tank. Size 8. Mass 12 (including fuel). Holds 16 fuel

Installed modifications:
2*Expanded Superstructure   Size -30 , Mass 15
Atmospheric flight conversion. Size 5 , Mass 15

Cargo : [Total Space : 49 /49]

1*Automated Bot Assembly Line: Size 4. Mass 6. Electricity 8 MW
1* Hydroponics  Size 6, Mass 5
1*Orbital Survey Satellite. Size 3, Mass 3
1*Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units. Cost 2 RU, Size 3, Mass 2
1*Digging & drilling vehicles. Cost 2 RU, Size 4, Mass 4
1*Optronic Central Computer. Cost 10 RU. Size 2. Mass 2.
2.7*Basic Parts Mass 1, Size 1
3*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
2*Emergency Food :  Size 3, Mass 1
2*Advanced Medical supplies Size 1, Mass 1
1*Manufacturing equipment. Size 3, Mass 4.
1*Life Sciences Laboratory: Size 10. Mass 15.

Hallway space [4/5]
1*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.
1.8*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
1*Air. Size 1, mass 1.

Hull Space [2/3]
2*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.

Total mass: 177.5 units.
Free space: 0 units.
Required power: 32 MW
Maximum power output: 75 MW (Note: Minimum power output is 37.5)
Total fuel: 16
Fuel remaining at destination: 3.1

Destination: Epsilon Eridani
Flight time: 34.4

Crew :
29 awake
1 wounded (cryo)
25 cryo

Projects:

Cryo System Investigation (-40)

Ark : Survival
Arrives in 36 years

Launch date: January 2050.
Arrival : May 2084

Ark Arrival : ??? 2086

Action :
Landing destination

Event Choice :  (Explanations of these to be added later)

- Atmospheric Skip : (Difficult insertion, easy re-entry, Mediocre Flight and landing)
   - Steep dive : (Easy insertion, difficult re-entry, easy flight, difficult landing)
   - Slow dive: (Easy insertion, difficult re-entry, Hard flight, easy landing)
   - Standard re-entry (Medium insertion, medium re-entry, medium flight, medium landing)
   - Other scenario :

Other actions: (Satelite and other ...)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 17, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »

Event: Other(deploy satellite and delay reentry for a month to do details scanning)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:25 pm »

We have two years to prepare for... Howmany thousands? We are gonna want materials, and more-or-less stable conditions... Howabout we land near that craters walls? We probably can find some materials in there, from the digging deep of the crater, and there is supposedly ice...
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2015, 04:38:43 pm »

The Ark carries 100 000.

Oh and insertion, reentry, flight and landing are 4 stages of the descent (all done in 1 turn, don't worry). Screwing up insertion or flight means you don't end up where you wanna be, screwing up the others means you end up in pieces.

Event: Other(deploy satellite and delay reentry for a month to do details scanning)
Scanning what. The sat needs 10 year to do a full scan, and circumstances here are less than ideal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:43:02 pm by 10ebbor10 »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 17, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »

...oh. So I need to choose where to scan. Ok then, by the crater as Aseaheru suggested :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 17, 2015, 04:52:54 pm »

Can the scanner sat act as a makeshift weather sat?
Highly Opinionated Fool

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 17, 2015, 05:20:44 pm »

Not really. Besides, the orbits are completely wrong. Weathersat is high geocentric, survey sat is low polar orbit. Thus while you might be able to reconfigure it, you loose the regular functionality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2015, 05:56:25 pm »

Any chance we could knock together a rather simple weather sat and dump it out the airlock?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 17