Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14  (Read 23459 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update one
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 01:38:14 pm »

Now that I'm here, I can ask some questions as well.

- What is the point of having the modules seperate? And, even more importantly which modules do you want to seperate. I mean, the fuel tank obviously has to remain connected to the generator(s), which in turn have to remain connected to the Control center, lifesupport and the cryo-units. So the only things you could drop off separately are the engines, and the cargo bays.

- What is the goal of the compact fusion reactors. Are you researching a first generation fusion MCF system (As opposed to the second generation systems in the building list), or do you just want to make your existing options smaller.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 01:56:43 pm »

I'd like to propose Reinforced Outer Hull instead of planned deconstruction. It's more important we get there in one piece than being easy to take everything apart.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 03:33:34 pm »

True.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 04:16:46 pm »

...so you're saying the existing fusion options isn't tokamak based? If that's the case, then I'll think of something else to research
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 04:55:08 pm »

...so you're saying the existing fusion options isn't tokamak based? If that's the case, then I'll think of something else to research
There are two existing fusion options. Inertial and Magnetically contained. Both operate on a hydrogen-helium fusion reaction.
Exact workings aren't exactly detailed.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 05:06:25 pm »

nvm mind then, I change it to compact cryotanks, Let's see if we can jam more people into the same volume

Also, the point of planned deconstruction was to have entire self-contained modules(like a pre-fabbed engineering section that can double as a basic factory when landed) that detach and land on their own. Saves time in setup
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:09:11 pm by tryrar »
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 06:54:13 pm »

nvm mind then, I change it to compact cryotanks, Let's see if we can jam more people into the same volume

Also, the point of planned deconstruction was to have entire self-contained modules(like a pre-fabbed engineering section that can double as a basic factory when landed) that detach and land on their own. Saves time in setup
Planned deconstruction, I think, means it's easy to separate everything when it's already landed, not while in flight. I imagine it would be disastrous to just have it all disassamble midair. My guess is that whenever we get to colony phase, everything will proceed faster.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2015, 08:18:39 pm »

I think the first craft should be concentrated on being a survey craft both in space and on the ground with basic industrial infrastructure setup as it's secondary goal.  Making it habitable inside for the crew (after everything is unpacked) so they can concentrate on exploring the new world, finding/exploiting building materials and developing specific advancements based on the planet we land on.

We can have the ark ship be modular deconstruction even if the scout ship isn't, two different ships for two different purposes.

Either way the outpost ship needs a biodome for during survey and initial construction, the alternative is to bring along a lot of food and build a Recreation commons.

Either way we need a medical facility and damage control/machine shop.

We do not need a real lab or factory on the ship, we can take the prefabricated ones or even research a better prefabricated design.

An alternate is with the super nice friend computer we got we can get lots of bots and automated factories and let the optronic computer and robots do all the work.

The Scout ship should have two fusion engines to cut down on the number of reactors needed and provide maximum thrust so it gets to the planet ahead of time, if we have a mass of about 70 2 fusion engines would take 35 years while a fusion with an electrostatic would take 46. 

What is the time we want the outpost ship to have for building and developing before the ark gets there?

Ship name : SSN Discovery

Event : Epsilon Eridani

Construction Orders :
    - Slot 1 :Expanded Superstructure
    - Slot 2 :Atmospheric Flight Conversion
    - Slot 3 :Damage Control & machine shop

Cargo Orders :Automated Production Line  We need a better idea of what to bring later.

Research : compact cryotanks
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:06:18 pm by VoidSlayer »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2015, 09:33:40 pm »

Hey 10ebbor, can we get something in-between a factory kit and an automated production line? Basically a slightly larger automated production line that can make advanced parts without it being a full-up factory(more manpower intensive, but smaller to pack)

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47:59 pm »

Hey 10ebbor, can we get something in-between a factory kit and an automated production line? Basically a slightly larger automated production line that can make advanced parts without it being a full-up factory(more manpower intensive, but smaller to pack)

My thought is get the bot factory and Manufacturing equipment, we can build bots on site then make advanced parts, like an automated production line, while the bots mine.  The hydroponics kit can supply food for 50 people so even if manpower will be limited we should have enough spare to run the Manufacturing equipment workshop. 

Add in digger vehicles and an ore processor and we rapidly can expand.

We have to go cheap and small as possible.

3 Radioisotope thermoelectric batteries would supply enough power to run the Manufacturing equipment and ore processor effectively indefinitely (if we don't have stable power after 50 years we are doomed either way).

How much fuel would the He-3 Inertial Fusion Generator kit consume?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2015, 12:34:39 am »

I like what you're thinking with this, and am +1ing your general plan.

So in that vein, Cargo Orders are a Bot Assembly Line kit, Manufacturing Equipment, Hydroponics(1 kit for now), and an ore processer, as well as one group of Hybrid Bots. and three thermoelectric batteries. I also agree to the machine shop and damage control instead of planned deconstruction

Also, is it possible to get something like a robot depo, which mostly automates repair and refit on bots?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:36:36 am by tryrar »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2015, 12:41:46 am »

Why not jam the Bot assembly line, Manufacturing Equipment and the Ore Processor online first? I assume that however small, such equipment in 3 months should have at least be capable of manufacturing significant amount of basic ship structure.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2015, 01:38:08 am »

Those are cargo, the will be packed away during transit.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 02:23:26 am »

I think Alpha Centauri is the best choice because less time travelling is very important

Yes, Epsilon is better but it is 2.5 times further away. Not a minor difference
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 02:42:01 am »

Sure, you have research slots for a reason.

The Scout ship should have two fusion engines to cut down on the number of reactors needed and provide maximum thrust so it gets to the planet ahead of time, if we have a mass of about 70 2 fusion engines would take 35 years while a fusion with an electrostatic would take 46. 
Oh yeah, sorry, my mistake. I ended up changing the rules for travel time calculation, but forgot to fix that part. It's Sqrt (Mass*distance/Thrust)*5. Meaning you don't need 2 engines.

Another note, Thermo-electric batteries are not an on/off affair. They're on from the moment you build them (simplified for my sake as the moment of launch).

Why not jam the Bot assembly line, Manufacturing Equipment and the Ore Processor online first? I assume that however small, such equipment in 3 months should have at least be capable of manufacturing significant amount of basic ship structure.
You have, at the moment, most of the lunar shipbuilding infrastructure at your command. The factories won't make a difference.

Also, is it possible to get something like a robot depo, which mostly automates repair and refit on bots?
Research is a thing.

How much fuel would the He-3 Inertial Fusion Generator kit consume?
1/1.75/4 for small, medium, large respectively. Do note that the shipboard reactor can also be utilized on the ground, provided you don't smash it up on landing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:46:59 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17