Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14  (Read 23446 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:36:46 pm »

Outpost: Exodus
Based on the Outpost 3, Outpost 4 and Outpost 5 games, by SakSak and Trent01 of SB and Draxis, respectively.
Most of the credit goes to SakSak, the ensuing games heavily draw on his systems.

It’s been decades since mankind made it’s first cautious steps into space. What was once a daring program, designed to intimidate opponents soon evolved into an international cooperation which managed to surpass national struggles and boundaries. Almost a hundred years later, space travel has become integral to society. High above the Earthen skies, a network of satellites connects the nations of Earth with the lunar and Martian Colonies. While the latter functioned solely as a scientific outpost, the importance of the lunar colonies could not be overstated. Aside for their importance in the asteroid mining programs, the moon colonies also extracted the valuable Helium-3, which was rapidly becoming the dominant energy source. Beneath massive clouds of lunar dust, floating in the lunar gravity, a vast herd of mechanical crawlers crunched through the lunar surface, stripping of it's surface layers and leaving nought but a perfectly flat field of debris.

It was the beginning of a true Golden age, with rapid advancements in all fields. Environmental degradation on Earth was halted, though human population thrived. Nano-scale material production booked it’s first successes in a controlled zero G environments. One by one, the secrets of biological life were discovered, and soon forgotten species would once again have roamed the planet.  Massive Particle Accelerators and giant telescopes tried to discover the nature of the universe. Meanwhile, Interstellar exploration did not sit silent, and plans were made for a manned mission to the outer solar system, and plausibly beyond. Despite the fact that light speed appeared to be an insurmountable barrier, work on a interstellar vessel commenced.

That future however, was replaced by one filled with pure dread when a deep space observatory on the dark side of the moon first discovered something unusual. Repeated tests, theories and other investigations left only one possibility. The solar system would soon be engulfed by a storm of highly energetic particles, originating from a supernova that occurred thousand of years ago, and many light years from Earth. These particles  would interact and collide with the solar wind, deforming the solar magnetic field, generating deadly radiation, and thus making space travel an impossibility. Eventually, the particles would overcome the magnetic field of the planet, with dramatic effects for any surface life.

It was estimated within 15 years, space travel within the solar system would be become impossible, for perhaps hundreds of years, however long it took for the particle wave, and ensuing . The colonies on Mars and the moon would quickly become inhabitable, but the destruction of the Terran biosphere would take far longer. Depending on how fast the intensity of the particle wave were to increase, it could take years, maybe even a decade before the radiation would have any effect on surface life. Technology however, would be affected much faster, and it would be impossible for modern civilization to survive.

The leaders of Humanity gathered. A large plan was drawn up, not to abandon the Cradle of Earth, but to hide deep underground in massive bunkers. However, the inhabitants of Luna disagreed. They did not believe in the ability of the bunker system to safeguard humanity, and under their pressure the Outpost program was conceived. However, with the leaders of Earth busy with the construction of their Vaults, the future of the Outpost program was uncertain. After many years of haphazard management and unfocused research, the program was re-organized under one leadership, and construction of the vessel could finally commence.

The game is divided into three phases: the Pre-Launch Phase:, the Ship Phase, and the Outpost Phase.  In the Pre-Launch Phase, you build the ships, select a destination and choose cargo to take on the mission.  In the Flight Phase, you deal with any events that happen on the way to the destination - these are generally bad, and there will be more chances for things to go wrong the longer the trip is.  In the Outpost Phase, you will control the colonists after landing, trying to survive and build up a base to support the people from the Ark(s) when they arrive.

This game is not set within the same continuity as the previous games, and various systems have been modified.

I do however recommend reading the previous Outpost games, or at least the first, if you have the time - they are very good reads.  However, I will give advice based on what happened in them if it seems needed, so nobody needs to read them just for insight into this game.

Update directory:

Update 0 : Event : Choice of Mission Profile
Update 1 : January
Update 2 : January to March
Update 3 : April to June
Update 4 : July to September
Update 5 : October to December

Update 6 : Launch preparation and Hero Choice

Update 7 : 2050-2060. Minor Crisis : Lifesupport Malfunction.
Update 8 : 2061-2075. Major Crisis : The fire
Update 9 : 2076-2080. Minor Crisis : Cryo trouble
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:02:43 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
The mission
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »

Turn 9 status

Starship: SSN Discovery
Total Size: 110 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)
2 Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons). Size 5 units, Mass 8 units. Electricity 5 MW
1 Large Closed Loop Life Support /w hydroponics. Size  8. Mass 5. Electricity: 10 MW.  (30 awake / 150cryosleep)
1 Damage Control & machine shop. Size 4. Mass 2. Electricity 1 MW
1 Medical Bay. Size 2. Mass 1. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Recreational Commons. Size 4. Mass 4 units. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Large Cargo bay  /w industrial cargo handling system. Size: 43. Mass: 2.
1 Small Cargo bay /w industrial cargo handling system Size : 11, Mass: 0.5
1 He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk.2.  Size 8  Mass 5  Generates 75 MW. Uses 0.75 Fuel/year
1 Electrostatic Ion Engine. Size 3. Mass 5. Electricity 5 MW. Thrust 25
1 He-3 Fuel Tank. Size 8. Mass 12 (including fuel). Holds 16 fuel

Installed modifications:
2*Expanded Superstructure   Size -30 , Mass 15
Atmospheric flight conversion. Size 5 , Mass 15

Cargo : [Total Space : 49 /49]

1*Automated Bot Assembly Line: Size 4. Mass 6. Electricity 8 MW
1* Hydroponics  Size 6, Mass 5
1*Orbital Survey Satellite. Size 3, Mass 3
1*Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units. Cost 2 RU, Size 3, Mass 2
1*Digging & drilling vehicles. Cost 2 RU, Size 4, Mass 4
1*Optronic Central Computer. Cost 10 RU. Size 2. Mass 2.
3*Basic Parts Mass 1, Size 1
3*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
2*Emergency Food :  Size 3, Mass 1
2*Advanced Medical supplies Size 1, Mass 1
1*Manufacturing equipment. Size 3, Mass 4.
1*Life Sciences Laboratory: Size 10. Mass 15.

Hallway space [4/5]
1*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.
2*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
1*Air. Size 1, mass 1.

Hull Space [2/3]
2*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.

Total mass: 177.5 units.
Free space: 0 units.
Required power: 32 MW
Maximum power output: 75 MW (Note: Minimum power output is 37.5)
Total fuel: 16
Fuel remaining at destination: 3.1

Destination: Epsilon Eridani
Flight time: 34.4

Ark : Survival
Arrives in 36 years

Recommended launch date: January 2050. [Launched]
Arrival:  May 2084
Ark Arrival: January 2086

Crew :
   - 40 in cryo
   - 15 awake
   - Cycle crew every 4 years  => 9.4 years of aging average. (2-3 shifts each)

Crew Leader :

A) Galina Orlova : Mission leader of the first, and only, manned expedition to Venus. Shown tremendous skill in improvisation and motivational ability, resulting in the successful evacuation of the habitat just immediately prior to it's complete failure in the harsh Venusian environment. However, general unfamiliarity with Ark equipment might induce problems.
         - Morale ++
         - Improvisation +
         - Maintenance  -

Spoiler: Misc. crew (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:01:27 pm by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Introductions and lists
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »

Introduction: Pre-Launch phase

The Pre-launch consists out of 4-6 turns, each lasting 3 months. During this phase you must construct your vessel, by adding modules and modifications to the vessel. Depending on the chosen mission path, you can construct between 2-4 of these per turn. In addition, players can also order cargo and supplies to stock their vessel. Time however, is not the only limit, as you will also have to deal with a limited amount of resources that will need to be carefully divided.

Aside from that, there will be numerous events that determine the course of the mission, ranging from choosing the mission architecture, to choosing crew and leaders of the mission, and perhaps more.

Of course, the possibility exists that players want different systems than provided here. For that purpose, they start with 1 research action per turn, which can be used to develop or improve system or cargo, acquire additional information on the planet, or prepare research topics for further phases.

Spoiler: Ship Modifications (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: List of Modules (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cargo List (click to show/hide)

This might be usefull
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 03:17:09 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Update 0
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 12:38:12 pm »

Update 0
January, 2049.  Peary Base, Moon. 

Following the establishment of the unified lunar command, time has come to start the construction of the Outpost craft. With only a year left before the first waves of radiation start impacting the edges of the solar system, time is indeed short. Despite that, there's still no agreement on what the mission should even look like.

The Council of Nations, which de facto controls Earth, has proposed the construction of a single, massive ship carrying both the outpost team, and several cryobanks filled with thousands of people in deep hibernation. The council notes that this will be the most resource efficient approach, allowing the maximum of resources to be delivered to the project and ensuring it's success. In addition, redundant infrastructure can be dismantled, and unneeded resources directed to other programs.

The Lunar government notes however that it prevents a so called 2 vessel option, consisting a faster outpost vessel, and a larger, slower Colony vessel. While this would require more resources, and still leave both programs with limited resources, it would allow the outpost time more time to prepare. In addition, the capacity of the Colony vessel could be expanded, allowing more people to escape.

There's also the dissenting opinion of one of the foremen. While his idea is quite risky, it has it's own benefits. At the end of the Golden decade plans were made to explore nearby solar systems, and one of these vessels was almost completed. By fixing up this vessel, and sending it ahead with cargo and supplies, the Outpost mission would arrive knowing much about their target system, and perhaps it would be possible to start construction already. However, the necessity to construct 3 vessels would put considerable strain on the lunar shipyards, and means that all 3 ships would have a minimal amount of modifications.

Action :
Ship name :

Event :
   - Option A : 1 vessel
   - Option B : 2 vessels
   - Option C : 3 vessels
   - Other

Alternate actions :

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:45:16 pm by 10ebbor10 »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 12:50:46 pm »

ptw

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

Oh! I remember a previous one of these... maybe a year or so back. This ought to be nice indeed ;3

Which reminds me... Either I am blind, or how much RU do we have?
Further, it seem's I can't access the spreadsheet. For reasons google is very unclear about.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game]
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 01:00:25 pm »

Oh! I remember a previous one of these... maybe a year or so back. This ought to be nice indeed ;3

Which reminds me... Either I am blind, or how much RU do we have?
Further, it seem's I can't access the spreadsheet. For reasons google is very unclear about.
Not blind, everything is still under construction.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update zero
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:34:03 pm »

Well, while 10ebbor finishes everything, let's start debating what the number of ships we'll build is. I personally think the 2nd option of 2 ships is the best compromise of resources, modability, and carrying capacity that we can get.

Also I think they should be named LSN Wanderer for the outpost ship and LSN Migrant for the Colony ship
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 02:40:20 pm »

I would also like to take the 2nd option. Option 2.5, to be exact!

We will take the already existing golden-age explorer, and turn it into our vanguard-establishing ship. This allows us to put more effort into both ships, giving us a higher reliability.

Nunzillor

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 02:52:04 pm »

I would also like to take the 2nd option. Option 2.5, to be exact!

We will take the already existing golden-age explorer, and turn it into our vanguard-establishing ship. This allows us to put more effort into both ships, giving us a higher reliability.
+1...  though, for the record I like the large amount of resources promised in the first option.  It does not seem like a popular choice however, so I'm agreeing with the above quote.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 03:25:51 pm »

I vote option 2. I'd rather be better prepared than land in an optimal spot.

Also I think they should be named LSN Wanderer for the outpost ship and LSN Migrant for the Colony ship
I think we should avoid a Lunar designation, as that might cost us some funding.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 04:32:50 pm »

So, now a tiebreaker between option 2 and 2.5.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 05:19:26 pm »

If we get option 2.5, how fast would the vanguard ship go if we gave it the minimum of maintenance? (If it would slow us down unless we give it a complete engine overhaul, then there's not much point.)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:29:52 pm »

The Golden age explorer is a partially finished automated spacecraft. Compared to scenario 2, you get a slightly smaller ship with different subsystems pre-installed as well as a few additional resources. Major things like engines still need to be installed.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 06:51:47 pm »

Can we get a breakdown of already installed systems? Might sway my vote to 2.5 if we have some decent ones already built
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17