Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 14  (Read 23456 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Update 6
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2015, 11:51:52 am »

Update 8
2070. Deep space

Event Choice: 

C: Increase ventilation to resolve the problem.

Wake up crew leader for 1 shift.

Pre-emptively replace autopilot memory banks : Y(also make a system backup)

Orders, if any, for the flight: Design a VR-CAD program so we can prototype things using the VR pods.

Also create a program that creates, as realistically as possible, a wide variety of planets from small moons to super earths, with a extreme variety of atmospheres(or lack thereof). Combine these two and challenge the crew in their spare hours to come up with various ways to survive on any and all combination of planet and atmosphere(should reduce tensions and foster group cohesion as they have to work together on this).

Event resolution : (77 - 20(modifier)) = 57

The crew increases the speed of the ventilation systems, hoping that the increased air movement would be sufficient to prevent the oxygen from accumulating in one area , and carefully open up the life support unit. Luckily, they spot the failed pipe easily. The application of an oxygen-scavenging patch solves the leak, and the team had all the time they need to re-assemble the lifesupport, before replacing the other line.

Afterwards, the decision was taken to pre-emptively replace the failing memory-banks, which was accomplished without a single problem. (+10 maintenance modifier)

2061-2065

Crew: ( 82 - 15 (crowding) + 5 Recreational commons + 5 Medical Bay - 7 (morale modifier) +10(Hero)) = 80 No effect
Ship: ( 27 - 20 (base unreliability) + 14 (crew) + 5 (Damage Control) + 10 (maintenance modifier) - 5 (Hero)) = 31 -2 maintenance modifier
Actions : Design a VR CAD program  : 34

While the ship carries on in excellent shape, the same can not be said for it's crew. Even the recent success in solving the missions first real problems, and the leadership of the crew commander can't do much to improve the eternally gloomy mood. The cramped space, always looking at the same food, and continues eating of the same meals (a nutritious goop which at times appears to have a mind of it's own) aren't helping either.

Worse even, the maintenance of the vessel is starting to suffer, though she's still doing very well. In order to end the endless lethargy, some of the crew members decided to do something usefull and programmed the VR-pod to allow for CAD programs. However, the system's dedicated architecture doesn't cooperate well with the programs. It works yes, but it's painfully slow. Making a realistic simulation that isn't part of any of the pre-calculated systems loaded into the pod would take ages, unless you upgrade the hardware.

2066-2070

Crew: ( 36 - 15 (crowding) + 5 Recreational commons + 5 Medical Bay - 7 (morale modifier)) = 24 -4 morale modifier
Ship: ( 98 - 20 (base unreliability) + 14 (crew) + 5 (Damage Control) + 8 (maintenance modifier) ) = 105 +5 maintenance modifier, next crisis mitigated
Actions : Complete inspection : 85

Turn-over. For the first time in years, the outpost vessel stops it's engines, and carefully turns around. Ready to start to slowdown and enter the second part of the Journey. The crew uses this opportunity to check the engines and outer hull plating, in addition to the maintenance they usually do. They are overjoyed to find that both hull and engines barely show any sign of damage, evidently having hold up much better under the stress than what was previously expected. Most of them were less happy to notice that the majority of the spacesuits was stored outside the hull. All in all, the inspection shows little that needs to be replaced.

Morale has continued to decline, and is in fact, becoming dangerously low. Crew are feeling lethargic, and have, as far as possible, started avoiding each other. The behavior of others has become  more aggressive. If this continues, the effective functioning of the crew might be compromised.

2071-2075

Crew: ( 29 - 15 (crowding) + 5 Recreational commons + 5 Medical Bay - 11 (morale modifier)) = 13 -7 morale modifier
Ship: (4 - 20 (base unreliability) + 14 (crew) + 5 (Damage Control) + 13 (maintenance modifier) ) = 16 Crisis
Actions : VR-environment simulator : 60

All attempts to maintain professional aside, the devastatingly low morale is taking it's toll upon the crews performance. Though, by sheer miracle, it hasn't led to an incident so far, crew are becoming less and less attentive. Perhaps deluded by the so far superb performance of the vessel, maintenance efforts are only executed sparsely, and seldomly with the proper precautions. It was only a matter of time before something would go wrong.

As an interesting side project though, one of the crew members ran the numbers on the VR-simulator. It should be plausible to make a somewhat accurate re-entry simulator with only minimal adjustments to the pod, and perhaps a few other components.

Perhaps it was an electrical fault, or maybe, it was (as the majority of the crew suspects) an inattentive operator. However, there was no time to pass judgement, as fire and smoke rapidly filled the machine shop. With not much going on, only 2 crew members were working inside, the remainder doing various thing across the ship. Automatic systems rapidly engaged, spraying the area with fire retardant foam, but with only limited success. And since human lives were on the line, the system would not engage it's more pro-active fire suppression systems.

The crew gathered fast, but had to make a split second decision.

Options :
   A) "We have to stop this fire before it bursts out of control. Activate the gaseous fire Suppression systems. If they're still conscious in there, they'll have a breathing mask on. " (If succesfull : 50% survival chance, Machine shop damaged)
   B) "Look at the intensity of the fire, the oxygen Candles have already caught. We need to seal off and vent the room immediately." (If successful : 2 deaths, Machine shop damaged)
   C) "We can still stop this fire if we act fast. Grab an extinguisher and let's go." (If succesfull: 1d6 wounded, no deaths, machine shop damaged.)
   D) "We can't sacrifice our comrades for a simple machine shop. We need to get them out of there." (If successful: No deaths, Machine shop destroyed.  )

Failure: Machine shop destroyed. Minimum 2 deaths.

Turn 8 status: January 2075:

Starship: SSN Discovery
Total Size: 110 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)
2 Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons). Size 5 units, Mass 8 units. Electricity 5 MW
1 Large Closed Loop Life Support /w hydroponics. Size  8. Mass 5. Electricity: 10 MW.  (30 awake / 150cryosleep)
1 Damage Control & machine shop. Size 4. Mass 2. Electricity 1 MW
1 Medical Bay. Size 2. Mass 1. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Recreational Commons. Size 4. Mass 4 units. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Large Cargo bay  /w industrial cargo handling system. Size: 43. Mass: 2.
1 Small Cargo bay /w industrial cargo handling system Size : 11, Mass: 0.5
1 He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk.2.  Size 8  Mass 5  Generates 75 MW. Uses 0.75 Fuel/year
1 Electrostatic Ion Engine. Size 3. Mass 5. Electricity 5 MW. Thrust 25
1 He-3 Fuel Tank. Size 8. Mass 12 (including fuel). Holds 16 fuel

Installed modifications:
2*Expanded Superstructure   Size -30 , Mass 15
Atmospheric flight conversion. Size 5 , Mass 15

Cargo : [Total Space : 49 /49]

1*Automated Bot Assembly Line: Size 4. Mass 6. Electricity 8 MW
1* Hydroponics  Size 6, Mass 5
1*Orbital Survey Satellite. Size 3, Mass 3
1*Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units. Cost 2 RU, Size 3, Mass 2
1*Digging & drilling vehicles. Cost 2 RU, Size 4, Mass 4
1*Optronic Central Computer. Cost 10 RU. Size 2. Mass 2.
3*Basic Parts Mass 1, Size 1
3*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
2*Emergency Food :  Size 3, Mass 1
2*Advanced Medical supplies Size 1, Mass 1
1*Manufacturing equipment. Size 3, Mass 4.
1*Life Sciences Laboratory: Size 10. Mass 15.

Hallway space [4/5]
1*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.
1.8*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
1*Air. Size 1, mass 1.

Hull Space [2/3]
2*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.

Total mass: 177.5 units.
Free space: 0 units.
Required power: 32 MW
Maximum power output: 75 MW (Note: Minimum power output is 37.5)
Total fuel: 16
Fuel remaining at destination: 3.1

Destination: Epsilon Eridani
Flight time: 34.4

Ark : Survival
Arrives in 36 years

Recommended launch date: January 2050. [Now]
Eleventh hour: March 2050 [Imminent]
Full storm : July 2050

Action :
Event selection :

- A : Fire suppression
   - B : Vent
   - C : Manual fire extinguishing
   - D : Rescue mission

Your crew leader is currently in cryo. You can awake her for a shift, if you wish. Under normal scheduling, she should do 2-3 shifts.

Pre-emptively replace autopilot memory banks : [Y/N] (0.2 advanced parts)

Orders, if any, for the flight:

Name a character :
    - Name
    - Role

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost: Exodus [Suggestion Game] : Update 8
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2015, 07:17:53 pm »

extinguisher for morale! Charge!

C.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2015, 08:09:06 pm »

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2015, 10:04:45 pm »

Event selection :

Wake up crew leader for transition to entire new crew and the 1 shift for them.

Pre-emptively replace autopilot memory banks : N (0.2 advanced parts)

Orders, if any, for the flight: Remove entire current crew to sleepers and awaken 15 new crew, work old crew back in one or two at a time on later shifts.  We need to see if we can restart this moral issue.  If this messes up the scheduled time for some people so be it.

Name a character :
    - Nathanial Singer
    - Pilot/Drill Operator/Musician

If anyone has a better idea on how to improve moral we need to do something.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:06:58 pm by VoidSlayer »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2015, 12:51:12 am »

Event selection :

Pre-emptively replace autopilot memory banks : N (0.2 advanced parts)

Orders, if any, for the flight: Remove entire current crew to sleepers and awaken 15 new crew, work old crew back in one or two at a time on later shifts.  We need to see if we can restart this moral issue.  If this messes up the scheduled time for some people so be it.

Name a character :
    - Nathanial Singer

I thought we are rotating 5 in a row?

Though I agree that a general psychological reset might be a good way to circumvent this tantrum spiral. I'm thinking of waking our leader up for the rest of the journey - how old is he biologically?

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2015, 01:04:31 am »

She should be 35 max right now, sleeper aging not withstanding.

Yeah I meant to change up the order and put 15 new people as crew, instead of just 5.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2015, 01:22:35 am »

She should be 35 max right now, sleeper aging not withstanding.

Yeah I meant to change up the order and put 15 new people as crew, instead of just 5.
I propose to keep her awake for the rest of the journey then. She's at most 55 when landing, still having enough time for all the problems.

Just a small matter though, what is the situation of the ark? we should be able to talk with them a few times per year.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2015, 01:39:47 am »

We did not buy the interstellar communication doohickey, we would be using radio signals over light year distances.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2015, 01:29:00 am »

Hmm well I have been reading the other outpost games, good stuff.

Looks like we set ourselves a difficult task here, we need to create living space for about a million people in 2 years.

10ebbor10 might be unavailable for a few days according to his sig, want to discuss some possible colony designs?

My idea is habitat cubes, 40 meter cube buildings that can be linked together.  It would basically be an 8 story apartment buildings.  Would house 72 people, a recreation floor and space for a floor dedicated to maintenance along with small areas on each level.  Even room for (tiny) gardens!

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/19iAIltBb0pNWlUIlnaqf-g-ZAs9qFi3zs46OmwRONXU/edit?usp=sharing

If we build a dedicated automated factory for this we might just be able to house a lot of people.

What do you guys think the living spaces should look like?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2015, 01:38:06 am »

Remember this depends on if we can get a planet with actually usable surface. Outpost 3 landed on a volcano world IIRC!

But assuming that parameter, that box looks like a good idea. The rooms might be a nit small, but they could conceivably fit a bed, a desk, a table, and a tv. Plus, we can bury all power lines between buildings and have an active underground tunnel system
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2015, 01:45:04 am »

Yeah, I wasn't sure what good sized room would be.  I gave every two people an 8 meter by 8 meter common room and a 2 meter by 2 meter bath.

We could probably fit a lot more if we went for a dorm type setup.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2015, 09:31:12 am »

Yeah, I wasn't sure what good sized room would be.  I gave every two people an 8 meter by 8 meter common room and a 2 meter by 2 meter bath.

We could probably fit a lot more if we went for a dorm type setup.
You call this small?
[ooc]Here in Hong Kong it would be the size for quite well off people. I personally live in a 45m^2 flat with another 3.[/ooc]

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2015, 10:03:56 am »

Yeah, I have been looking over my size scales, they were kinda off.  That's 128m^2 for 2-4 people, we could probably fit the same design in about a quarter of the space if we scaled it down to say 32m^2 for 2-4 people, maybe 28 people or more in a 24x24 building if we went for dorms with small private rooms.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1YhIDBEOwpddyZhIcyyZFF8RkDNNou8tOiqtBbLII_4s/edit?usp=sharing

A 20x20 building (If you add in air pumps and electrical rooms and plumbing) would be roughly equal to the medium dome.

If we go for this size then we will need other dedicated areas for people to go to for recreation.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2015, 07:57:57 am »

Yeah, I have been looking over my size scales, they were kinda off.  That's 128m^2 for 2-4 people, we could probably fit the same design in about a quarter of the space if we scaled it down to say 32m^2 for 2-4 people, maybe 28 people or more in a 24x24 building if we went for dorms with small private rooms.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1YhIDBEOwpddyZhIcyyZFF8RkDNNou8tOiqtBbLII_4s/edit?usp=sharing

A 20x20 building (If you add in air pumps and electrical rooms and plumbing) would be roughly equal to the medium dome.

If we go for this size then we will need other dedicated areas for people to go to for recreation.
Actually I think sleeping space would be the least of issues. If we can supply the energy and food to sustain those cocoons we can wake them up in phases.

But yes I think a more modular city would be the way forward for the future of humanity.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Update 6
« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2015, 05:12:15 pm »

Update 9
2070. Deep space

Event selection :

Name a character :
    - Nathanial Singer

Though the heat of the fire tends to be the most impressive part, the crew knows that that is not the only danger. Though the materials from which the vessel was build were selected for their fire retardant properties, many of them still burn, if reluctantly. In doing so, they release a multitude of noxious gasses, which can quickly incapacitate an unprepared person.

The crew knows that it will only take a moment for the fire to overwhelm their friends inside. They also know, and somewhat more worrying, that several highly pressurized oxygen tanks are stored inside the room. If the fire would manage to eat it's way through one of these, the entire place would go up in flames. With no time left to waste, the crew charges into the room. Thick black clouds make way for the chilling white of super cooled Carbon Dioxide. Bereft of heat, the fire quickly dies down.

In the end, it appears the danger looked much worse than it was. Only a few of the machines are damaged, and repair on those would be quite easy. Most of the crew involved suffered only minor burn wounds and smoke intoxication. One of them however suffered from severe burn wounds over most of his upper body. He was put in cryo, for the time being. Though the ship obviously suffered some damage, the crew's mood seems to be up, though some are unsure if that is a sign of an improvement of the situation, or just a residual effect of the intoxication.

Event resolution : (83 - 25(modifier)) = 63  1d6=1

Effects : 1 wounded, Damage control disabled, + 10 morale modifier, - 5 to maintenance modifier

2076-2080

Crew: ( 11 - 15 (crowding) + 5 Recreational commons + 10 (Leader) + 5 Medical Bay - 8 (morale modifier)) = 8 Crisis
Ship: (97 - 20 (base unreliability) + 14 (crew) + 5 (Damage Control) - 5 (Leader)  + 8 (maintenance modifier) = 94 (+ 4 to maintenance modifier)
Actions :
    - Crew Switcharoo : 5 Crisis

In an attempt to isolate and eliminate the psychological and sociological problems of the crew, the decision is taken to replace the entire crew at once, rather than staggered. While this would have some detrimental effect on the maintenance of the spacecraft, the crew is generally quite confident over it's flightworthiness. Awakening the replacement crew proceeds well. While the vessel will momentarily go over it's maximum support capacity as the crew switches, the crew considers that the system should be fine, as long as the transfer is swift.

Unfortunately, that is when things hit a snag.

While cryo technology had been used before on Earth, mostly for medicinal purposes, it was simply to new to have been tested for year-long, let alone decade long hibernation periods. While it was known, even on Earth, that awakening from cryosleep caused a wide array of temporary disorders, it was generally accepted that only in rare cases, these would last beyond a week. Unfortunately, it appears that that is not the case.

During the standard medical check-up after leaving hibernation, one of the crew noticed something strange in the brains scans. A pronounced, yet small enough deviation from pre-hibernation scans to not be picked up by the automated scanners, was found to exist in all crew. A deviation, which, perhaps, could explain the strange behavior from the crew.

This posed a problem however, as none of the crew where extremely happy about entering a system which, while keeping them alive, might be slowly killing them.

Write in : Solution to convince the crew to enter the cryosystem/ something else.

Choice:
        - A: "We need to find out what is causing this, and how to stop it. While it might seem harmless now, it might not be."
        - B: "We don't have the time to figure out what's wrong with the cryosystem, or our brains. The voyage is only four more years, we can make it."
        - C: "While we don't know the cause, we do know the symptoms. We have plenty of medicine on board we can use to treat this symptomatically."
        - D: "Perhaps if we lessen the load on the cryosystem, we can reduce the depth of the crew's sleep, which might help."

Turn 9 status: January 2075:

Starship: SSN Discovery
Total Size: 110 units
Structural mass: 10 units.

Installed components:
1 Optronic Autopilot.  Size 1 , mass 1 .  - 5 MW. (Fully automated Control Center)
2 Cryogenic pods Mk II (20 persons). Size 5 units, Mass 8 units. Electricity 5 MW
1 Large Closed Loop Life Support /w hydroponics. Size  8. Mass 5. Electricity: 10 MW.  (30 awake / 150cryosleep)
1 Damage Control & machine shop. Size 4. Mass 2. Electricity 1 MW Damaged
1 Medical Bay. Size 2. Mass 1. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Recreational Commons. Size 4. Mass 4 units. Electricity 1 MW.
1 Large Cargo bay  /w industrial cargo handling system. Size: 43. Mass: 2.
1 Small Cargo bay /w industrial cargo handling system Size : 11, Mass: 0.5
1 He-3 MCF Fusion generator /w external radiators Mk.2.  Size 8  Mass 5  Generates 75 MW. Uses 0.75 Fuel/year
1 Electrostatic Ion Engine. Size 3. Mass 5. Electricity 5 MW. Thrust 25
1 He-3 Fuel Tank. Size 8. Mass 12 (including fuel). Holds 16 fuel

Installed modifications:
2*Expanded Superstructure   Size -30 , Mass 15
Atmospheric flight conversion. Size 5 , Mass 15

Cargo : [Total Space : 49 /49]

1*Automated Bot Assembly Line: Size 4. Mass 6. Electricity 8 MW
1* Hydroponics  Size 6, Mass 5
1*Orbital Survey Satellite. Size 3, Mass 3
1*Powered Exo-skeleton Constructor Units. Cost 2 RU, Size 3, Mass 2
1*Digging & drilling vehicles. Cost 2 RU, Size 4, Mass 4
1*Optronic Central Computer. Cost 10 RU. Size 2. Mass 2.
3*Basic Parts Mass 1, Size 1
3*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
2*Emergency Food :  Size 3, Mass 1
2*Advanced Medical supplies Size 1, Mass 1
1*Manufacturing equipment. Size 3, Mass 4.
1*Life Sciences Laboratory: Size 10. Mass 15.

Hallway space [4/5]
1*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.
1.8*Advanced parts Mass 1, Size 1
1*Air. Size 1, mass 1.

Hull Space [2/3]
2*Air tanks & vac suits. Size 1, Mass 1.

Total mass: 177.5 units.
Free space: 0 units.
Required power: 32 MW
Maximum power output: 75 MW (Note: Minimum power output is 37.5)
Total fuel: 16
Fuel remaining at destination: 3.1

Destination: Epsilon Eridani
Flight time: 34.4

Crew :
29 awake
1 wounded (cryo)
25 cryo

Ark : Survival
Arrives in 36 years

Launch date: January 2050.
Arrival : May 2084

Ark Arrival : ??? 2086

Action :
Event selection :

- A : Investigate the cause of the aberration (time consuming)
   - B : Do nothing
   - C : Treat symptomatically
   - D : Awaken additional crew to reduce cryo load.

Your crew leader is currently awake.

Repair Damage control [0.3 normal parts]
     - Improvise [0 parts]

Orders, if any, for the flight:

Name a character :
    - Name
    - Role
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17