Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No migration or caravans  (Read 2269 times)

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No migration or caravans
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:02:25 pm »

Hi all. I was playing a new fort last night, enjoying my new layout and all that...yet in winter I noticed I haven't recieved any migrants. I didn't get a caravan, and I'm not sure if I got a liaison or not (Did a bunch of forts so that part I don't remember if it was this fort I got one or not).

It's summer of my second embark year and still nothing.

I checked and my civ is still alive, it's only a few shift moves NW on the world map. I have played 3-4 other forts on this world gen, so that pushes time around (and I noticed messes up embark dates a little I think).

Anyone got any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:07:29 pm by Bitharne »

Bitharne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No migration or caravans
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 04:33:55 pm »

Got migrants mid-summer of my second embark year. I'm thinking it has something to do with the new systems in .40 with updating the world between forts. Since you don't always start at the same time now, it messed up my first wave a little by some cut-off time, deferring it till later...at least that's my guess.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:21:27 pm »

Got migrants mid-summer of my second embark year. I'm thinking it has something to do with the new systems in .40 with updating the world between forts. Since you don't always start at the same time now, it messed up my first wave a little by some cut-off time, deferring it till later...at least that's my guess.
When migrants are comming, They are really starting from your mountainhome, and traveling whole way to your fortress*. It will take a time.

* You can bug it by changing your POP CAP, and see mess you created on adventure map later. And They sometimes pass 2 tiles water somehow... just by going by it...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:50:10 am »

Hi all. I was playing a new fort last night, enjoying my new layout and all that...yet in winter I noticed I haven't recieved any migrants. I didn't get a caravan, and I'm not sure if I got a liaison or not (Did a bunch of forts so that part I don't remember if it was this fort I got one or not).

I checked and my civ is still alive, it's only a few shift moves NW on the world map. I have played 3-4 other forts on this world gen, so that pushes time around (and I noticed messes up embark dates a little I think).

I'd like to second this question. I started playing an embark-with-nothing challenge, which kind of assumes you'll eventually get things like a pick and anvil from the caravans. But it's autumn of the third year, and not a single merchant yet!

Elves and dwarves I understand -- according to the embark map we're just a little too far away from elven lands, and when I peaked into legends it turns out the dwarven civilization was extinct for decades until my seven (plus two hardcoded migrant waves) revived it. But there's tens of thousands of humans within a couple days march, and not a bloody one has felt like coming to visit. Why?!

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 12:13:22 pm »

Huh, usually the first two waves are hardcoded.  I'm assuming you mean you haven't gotten any migrants at all, because it's pretty well known that you never get migrants in the winter.

I've had one fort where there was no liaison for years, though I don't know what causes that.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 03:36:26 pm »

Huh, usually the first two waves are hardcoded.  I'm assuming you mean you haven't gotten any migrants at all, because it's pretty well known that you never get migrants in the winter.

I've had one fort where there was no liaison for years, though I don't know what causes that.

No, I got the two hardcoded migrant waves as expected. And not getting more migrants is also expected, because the dwarves are extinct in the outside world.

My real question is why I haven't gotten a human caravan in three years, even though multiple human civilizations are alive and well nearby. This is the first time I've had that happen. Figures it would be this game, too -- no pick, no anvil, and a desert embark with maybe a hundred total wood available on the map is making for a pretty basic existence.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:48:00 pm »

No, I got the two hardcoded migrant waves as expected. And not getting more migrants is also expected, because the dwarves are extinct in the outside world.

My real question is why I haven't gotten a human caravan in three years, even though multiple human civilizations are alive and well nearby. This is the first time I've had that happen. Figures it would be this game, too -- no pick, no anvil, and a desert embark with maybe a hundred total wood available on the map is making for a pretty basic existence.
Better get that meat industry going... at least you can have all your dwarves in dingo leather armour and boots, with dingo bone crossbows, helms, gauntlets, and greaves. Pity you can't cage trap any without the stone or metal for mechanisms though.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 04:27:43 pm »

Better get that meat industry going... at least you can have all your dwarves in dingo leather armour and boots, with dingo bone crossbows, helms, gauntlets, and greaves. Pity you can't cage trap any without the stone or metal for mechanisms though.

Yup, exactly what I've been doing so far. With no textile plants available on the map, I'm in a race to see if the beards can bum-rush enough camels to get everyone in leather armor before the clothes they arrived in rot away. After that, I don't know, I'm trying to figure out how an adventurer could get ahold of an anvil and bring it to them. There's a fortress that fell to an FB in world gen that should have forges, but I don't think an adventurer can dismantle them. I don't think I have the patience to build them a glass castle that's rate limited by the speed trees regrow in a desert...

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 10:03:56 am »

I'd like to second this question. I started playing an embark-with-nothing challenge, which kind of assumes you'll eventually get things like a pick and anvil from the caravans. But it's autumn of the third year, and not a single merchant yet!

Elves and dwarves I understand -- according to the embark map we're just a little too far away from elven lands, and when I peaked into legends it turns out the dwarven civilization was extinct for decades until my seven (plus two hardcoded migrant waves) revived it. But there's tens of thousands of humans within a couple days march, and not a bloody one has felt like coming to visit. Why?!
Have you created enough wealth to trigger this in the humans entity file?
   "PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1"

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:38 pm »

Have you created enough wealth to trigger this in the humans entity file?
   "PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1"

Oh, good suggestion, that inspired me to actually look up how those tokens are interpreted. According to the docs, that means the human caravan won't arrive until I have *exported* 500 wealth. That explains why I've never seen this before, I must have exported at least that much with the first dwarf caravan in all my previous games.

So, with no dwarf or elf caravans in this world, I guess the solution would be to arrange for the kobolds to steal a bunch of bone crafts. At least that's the only way I can think of to create exported wealth without trade. It's kind of a moot point for the fort in question, though. Here's the entirety of the fort I was able to build:

A wooden door and some bone armor couldn't save them from the weresheep.