Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Axe Lord or Peasant  (Read 1434 times)

Kebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Axe Lord or Peasant
« on: January 18, 2015, 05:37:04 am »

Hi all,
I have been "blessed" with a very very quiet start. So far not as much as a Goblin thief has tried entering my fortress.

This means i now have a full squadron of Axe Lords who have been able to do nothing but train.

My axe lords started out as peasants. And thats the problem.

Why do they keep appearing as Peasant instead of their awesome title as Axe Lord?

As soon as i station their squadron they immediately take the Axe Lord title upon themselves (and the blue armor icon in Phobeus). I would love for them to stay this way, if not for looks and title, then for statistical purposes.

Is there anything i can do to force them to give up their civilian lives permanently?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Axe Lord or Peasant
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 05:40:40 am »

You can schedule for them to be on duty in the military screen.
If you set them to train for every month, they'll always be on duty and therefore always have the title/icon.

The other option is to manually change the profession title to Axe Lord (or anything else, really) but this won't give them the icon you're after.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Kebra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 05:48:15 am »

Active/Training already says "Training"

I can force them into the military status by puttin them on "alert" and activating "Active/Training". But im worried they won't eat, sleep or similiar in that status.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:38:54 am »

They will do all it takes to maintain their comfortable life in this state.

Source: Have all my squads on constant alert, no deaths or other negative effects.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 06:45:49 am »

Yeah, I forgot about alerts.

Keeping them in the Active/Training setting is fine. Fear not: they certainly will take breaks to eat, drink, and sleep.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 08:40:36 am »

Yeah, I forgot about alerts.

Keeping them in the Active/Training setting is fine. Fear not: they certainly will take breaks to eat, drink, and sleep.
Oh! They even have backpacks and watersking for not going too often on break for eat or drink. :) And yes, They will keep booze in waterskin now, you don't need flasks anymore. ) Only problem is They will not use your dinning hall. In fact, when They are high trained soldiers, but without civilian proffesion, They will get unhappy though when They will be undrafted! Keep them on duty, son, and give them what they need, so They will be protect you from evil world.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 11:06:51 am »

Using the Scheduling screen, you can control how many are on duty at any given time.  (I usually do an 8/10 ratio).  You can also make sure they can go sleep etc while on duty in that screen.

The reason they are peasants when not on duty is because they have no civilian training whatsoever.  I usually enable masonry on them so the off duty soldiers can help with building projects (making blocks etc).  Most of them gain the title of administrator after a while though due to high skill value in certain mental disciplines (observer, teacher etc, don't know the exact details)
hamster cheese supplies are low

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:26:14 pm »

If the status of the squad is active/training, and you are training the same number you have in the squad, and you actually have a designated barracks for them to train at, the squad members should all be active military and listed by their military titles. The fact that they are not suggests that you are missing some part of that. You did not mention a barracks, do you have one?

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 06:18:39 pm »

If the status of the squad is active/training, and you are training the same number you have in the squad, and you actually have a designated barracks for them to train at, the squad members should all be active military and listed by their military titles. The fact that they are not suggests that you are missing some part of that. You did not mention a barracks, do you have one?
I hate it, you saw title and did not read whole topic. HE HAVE TRAINED LORDS but off duty they are peasants. He wanted them as lords still, he didn't know about millitary proffesion is taken away when dwarf is not on duty. Do you know how to read and understand whan letters mean?
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Lapoleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 05:27:56 am »

I hate it, you saw title and did not read whole topic. HE HAVE TRAINED LORDS but off duty they are peasants. He wanted them as lords still, he didn't know about millitary proffesion is taken away when dwarf is not on duty. Do you know how to read and understand whan letters mean?

Sheesh, relax a bit will you. As a matter of fact the OP did not say that the squad was Active/Training, only that the soldiers were training. This can also be the case if the squad is marked as inactive, since the pro's like to spend time around the barracks. In fact in the second post by the OP he specifically mentions that the squad at the moment is not in Active/Training mode.
If you look in the schedule, no matter what alert the squad is currently on it will default on Active/Training which will probably be filled with Training, this does not mean that they are in fact currently on this alert, this just specifies what certain alerts will do. The only place to see what alert the squad is currently on is the military screen.