Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 87369 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #570 on: January 16, 2017, 09:32:04 am »

This Christmas, one of my sisters gave be a book by Terry Pratchett.
She recalled that I was talking about getting into the series at some point, but wasn't sure what book to start with.
So she bought me A Bink Of The Screen, which is a collection of some of his shorter stories.

I just today, remembered that I have gotten it. So I think I will be spending some time reading it very soon.
I have seen some short bits of the animated tv show though, but always wanted more.
So this will be my first venture into his actual books.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 09:36:45 am by Ultimuh »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:13 am »

She recalled that I was talking about getting into the series at some point, but wasn't sure what book to start with.
So she bought me A Bink Of The Screen, which is a collection of some of his shorter stories.

I just today, remembered that I have gotten it. So I think I will be spending some time reading it very soon.
I have seen some short bits of the animated tv show though, but always wanted more.

You have entered a wonderful world, my friend. Savor it.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 27, 2017, 04:39:24 pm »

Powering trough the Dresden Files for about a month now, went trough about six or so books since I started. Rather telling how it's the only thing that got me away from Discworld, even if it's only temporary.

Btw, about Pratchett, you can start at multiple points without much trouble since it's really a bunch of different series in a single world, there's one offs too but for the most part you'll have recurring folks/themes in certain series.

My personal favourites are the ones on the watch, ones about the witches and of course death and his adventures. Rincewind never really grabbed me that much tho, not sure why :s
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:09 pm »

Watchmen. Finally got around to it, and I'm very glad that I did.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 27, 2017, 06:37:44 pm »

Watchmen. Finally got around to it, and I'm very glad that I did.
Its amazing  :)
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 29, 2017, 01:33:43 pm »

I finally got around to reading The Metamorphosis. I'm surprised that Kafka was Czech, because the novella felt very Russian. Though, I suppose that my opinion may be skewed, because my idea of Russian is "The Master and Margarita".
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 29, 2017, 07:48:48 pm »

Well, he was German-speaking, and lived at a time when Czechia still was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I'd classify him as a German writer, aware of my fast-and-loose usage of 'German'. He's definitely one of the most important figures in German literature.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 29, 2017, 08:52:32 pm »

Both of the animated cartoons are on YouTube, "Soul Music" and "Wyrd Sisters". I think Wyrd Sisters is the stronger out of the two, partly because the plot doesn't jump between as many characters as it does in Soul Music.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 30, 2017, 12:20:54 pm »

Just finished The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts, by Louis de Bernières.
It was pretty good, although I think the stylistic similarities to Gabriel García Márquez may have actually hurt it somewhat, due to such a lofty comparison. Still, I might try and pick up the next book in the trilogy at some point.

For now, though, I need to choose between Babylon Rolling by Amanda Boyden or The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death by Charlie Huston for my next read. Picked them up in the same shopping trip as Don Emmanuel's, but I can't really remember much of what I managed to glean before purchasing them.
I believe one had an annoyingly cavalier approach to punctuation and structure (as seems rather popular in books these days, probably as some misguided attempt at seeming arty and experimental), but the premise was interesting enough that I decided to give it a chance.

Right now, though, I'm going to sleep.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 11, 2017, 03:10:00 am »

Finished Babylon Rolling, it wasn't bad. Ending could have been a bit better, I suppose, and I wish the author had spent more time rambling about the New Orleans scenery. Still, it had its moments.

Now I guess I'll start on The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death, by Charlie Huston.
I have high hopes for this book, the page or so that I read when I bought it seemed quite entertaining. Time to find out if it lives up to my expectations!   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 16, 2017, 01:28:30 am »

Read Ann Patchett's Bel Canto for an English Lit class a few weeks ago; it was really good. I'll have to check out some of the author's other work, soon.

(go read Bel Canto, people)

(also PTW)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 16, 2017, 08:26:10 am »

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 26, 2017, 08:04:17 pm »

Recently, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and then Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.  I can wholeheartedly recommend both.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 27, 2017, 04:43:30 pm »

Going trough Seven Eves (or Seveneves if you will, even tho he former makes more sense after a certain point in the book). Pretty damn good hard sci-fi about the end of the world and how people are trying to survive it. The writing could be a bit better (mostly repeating already stated facts as if this is a series of different books so the author needs to explain certain concepts every time, or they think the average reader will forget these things by the time they're brough up again :S

Anyways, the second part of it is not as interesting from a character point but the tech stuff and some of the solutions are pretty damn neat and evoke feelings of old school sci-fi with it's sleek desings and novel solutions to certain problems, a certain air of Syd Mead about it all I guess, which is a pretty damn big boon.

Aside from that, tho I'm not sure if it can be considered reading since it's a podcast but I've read over twenty books in audiobook form in the past six months so I'll just sort them in the same box, these would be more like short essays on certain themes. In this case, it's the Lore series by Aaron Mahnke, he's a writer but I've never heard of him before today when I learned about the series and went to check it out. It basically trawls various myths over the world and talks about them, comparing them, singling out interesting stories and talking about what they could mean or represent to the people of the time. Pretty well researched and written, and episodes are about 20 mins long so not too much time to put away for one or two.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #584 on: February 28, 2017, 02:56:06 am »

I enjoyed some of Seveneves but Stevenson's apparent complete ignorance as to how biology works in zero g (and in general, actually) was a massive turn-off for me. Also the extent to which he played it fast and loose with how space stations actually work, which is a little less awkward because it can be explained away a bit by the circumstances.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 58