Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 87308 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #675 on: November 27, 2017, 04:47:35 pm »

Armor
Larry Correia

Above are my two favorite authors at the moment. Armor is excellent, hard emotional punching sci find that crushes my spirit and makes my cry on the inside.

And Larry Correia writes excellent books about shooting monsters while complex plots play out in the background. Very well written, excellent gun details.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #676 on: November 27, 2017, 05:25:53 pm »

Oh, I've heard of Armor before from that bad book podcast: http://podbay.fm/show/850580533/e/1464603228?autostart=1

Incidentally they also bagged on Ender's Game, which is a book I've actually read, and I thought their review was more or less on point, but they're kind of relentless in their criticism.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 27, 2017, 07:34:15 pm »

Just finished American Gods by Neil Gailman (in fact, the translated portuguese version, Deuses Americanos) and now I am going to start Sapiens - A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari (the translated version as well).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 24, 2018, 02:23:02 pm »

I decided to pick up an autobiography "Growing" by Leonard Woolf, and liked it so much I picked up the, uh, prequal autobiography "Sowing" (his autobiography is like a six book saga) and doing a little bit of research on the names and events detailed within, holy shit was this guy just fucking cool and important, and direct friends with cool and important people, like his wife was Virginia Woolf, who's book was featured in a Crash Course Literature video... I'm just blown away by the connectedness of people and things I'm learning about, it's all too cool.

Why am I just so in love with old dead people that barely anyone know about?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 26, 2018, 10:06:19 pm »

Felt like reading sci-fi, didn't want to go out to a bookstore though, dug through some of my dad's old books. Currently reading Chernobyl: A Novel by Frederik Pohl.

Not very far into it yet. I find that I'm internally narrating it in a cheesy Russian accent. Must be all the Ukrainian names and the USSR setting.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 26, 2018, 10:30:38 pm »

I'm making the rounds on Russian novels, and have just finished Anna Karenina and Crime and Punishment, now starting Brothers Karamazov with War and Peace to follow. C&P has cemented itself as my favorite read of any novel, and I'd strongly recommend any person on bay12 in particular to read it if they haven't already (I read the P&V translation with no complaints).

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 03, 2018, 04:27:39 am »

So I finished Going After Cacciato yesterday - it was alright, took a lot of getting into but was entertaining enough once I got over the hump - and today, this evening, instead of doing exercise and having dinner I have chosen to procrastinate by finally making a start on The Tasmanian Babes Fiasco, which I found a copy of at work on Tuesday.

How was that for a run-on sentence? Whew.
Anyway, it's the sequel to He Died With A Felafel [sic] In His Hand, the best-known book by hands-down Australia's greatest author.
I'd been meaning to read this for years, so finding a copy at work that I ended up paying less than a dollar for was amazing. The only other book of JB's that I've read was Dopeland, which was entertaining enough but in more of a documentary style and focused mainly on a single topic.
So far, Babes seems pretty great, although it remains to be seen if it can possibly live up to the literary joy that was Felafel. :D   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 07, 2018, 09:24:17 am »

I've been a few tens of pages into the first book in The Powder Mage trilogy for... oh, probably a year now. It's interesting but I just stopped reading for reasons unrelated to the book.

The PDF of the RPG was released two months ago. I purchased it a few days back with the intention of running it at some point. In order to be vaguely accurate to the source material, I should probably finish my book and go see if the library has the remaining two. So Promise of Blood is back on my table.

If you're into flintlock fantasy, give it a go.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 07, 2018, 10:26:13 am »

"Jewish Comedy: A Serious History" by Jeremy Dauber. I'm just started on it, but it's cool to read about Judaism's thousands of years of history, mixed together with the thousands of years of antisemitism that accompanied it, combined together to create the tradition of Jewish comedy that we enjoy today.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 07, 2018, 11:03:39 am »

"Super Freakonomics"

Someone lent it to me, so I'm having a read through it.  He lent me the first one too, which was a very interesting read, as this one is turning out to be.

While there are probably places you could poke holes in the logic or conclusions, in general it seems pretty sound and is definitely food for thought at least.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 10, 2018, 09:19:37 pm »

A Cat on Hot Tin Roof, Tennesee Williams. It's interesting. I tend to give the parts their own voices, as opposed to books where I usually just read more passively.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:20 pm »

"How Do I Explain This to My Kids? Parenting in the Age of Trump"

I was honestly hoping for some humorous Trump-bashing, which I'm always up for... Well, it does bash Trump, but it's also full of disjointed blog posts pretending to be book chapters filled to bursting with sickening Liberal bellyaching; one of the 15 or so co-authors takes the words right out of my mouth in describing his own behavior as 'liberal crying', not that that makes me cut him any slack. They talk about their children, and how mutually devastated they and their precious little angels are, but I'm getting the sneaking suspicion as I'm reading this that these parents are psychologically projecting their political dismay onto their children, and then writing about it as though it were fact. I guess I can't prove that though, it's just the feeling I get from being a reader for years and picking up little between-the-lines hunches that you get when someone is incensed and arguing through a highly emotionally distorted viewpoint.

Though I did stomach it and continue reading to the end of the book, because of the many co-authors, all of them are a minority in some way, and I'd atleast like the genuine opinion of people that have a perspective that is fundamentally different and imperceptible to my privileged and relatively carefree straight white male existence. In that one facet, the book is very interesting.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 12, 2018, 09:12:00 pm »

The Autumn Republic, the final book in the Powder Mage trilogy. I'm plowing through these books almost as soon as I pick them up. Some of the stuff I read is iffy but the absurdity of shooting a god in the eye, pounding his face in, and then giving your godblood-soaked clothes to your witch so she can make a voodoo effigy of him kind of makes up for it.

Aliemma

• Bay Watcher
  • Rejecting reality and substituting my own.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 21, 2018, 12:15:25 pm »

Just finished A Darker Shade of Magic, the first book in the Shades of Magic series, apparently. The book didn't give much indication to a sequel except for an excerpt at the end. I expected a bit more advertising for it, but it at least exists. Pretty good read, and it scratched an itch for magic that I've been having. Ending was a bit rushed in my opinion, and the two protagonists dynamic was good, Dave for some forced stuff. Still excited to read the others, except for the fact that if I have any chance in the next 3 months, it'll be in French or an e-book
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58