Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would this trap work?  (Read 1291 times)

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would this trap work?
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:10:47 pm »

Would this trap method work? I want something more reliable than a cage in this one area.

F F F
F P F
F F F

F= Floodgate
P= Pressure Pad

Connect all gates to pads.

Will something on stepping on this remain inside?
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Would this trap work?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 03:13:53 pm »

Not if there's a building destroyer about.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:17:18 pm »

Bridges?
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 04:33:01 pm »

Not if there's a building destroyer about.

Except that misses the real issue.  Trap-avoid means pressure-plate avoid too... and you said that you wanted something "more reliable than cage traps."  So this won't capture a single thing that a cage trap wouldn't, and in fact will capture several LESS things.  As Grak mentioned, floodgates are NOT immune to building destroyers.  That would trap a common troll for mere seconds.  It would be somewhat more realistic that a cage trap in that a dinky wooden cage shouldn't hold anything more than a small critter, yet alone a powerful warrior. 

To trap a building destroyer you have to stun or web it first  This is done by either having a spider spit web over the trap (by chaining a goblin or dog behind the trap), causing a cave in above the trap tile, or dropping the creature several z-levels on top of the trap (stunning it with fall damage).  Now, some beasts are both "trapavoid," and "web/stunavoid" so there is little you can do about them in the name of in-game "traps."  You can, however, seal them into rooms with raised bridges.  Its how I make "zoos" out of titans and forgotten beasties :)

if you want to trap kobold thieves and goblin baby-snatchers, then your best bet is early detection.  A pair of dogs on a chain near your entrance will spot them. 

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:37:31 pm »

Nope. Pressure plates, like levers, have an activation time.

Unless the target actually stays on the pressure plate.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »

Would this trap method work? I want something more reliable than a cage in this one area.

F F F
F P F
F F F

F= Floodgate
P= Pressure Pad

Connect all gates to pads.

Will something on stepping on this remain inside?

No. Stepping on a plate opens floodgates, with a 100 step delay (the delay is in the floodgates, not the plate; doors react instantly). Floodgates will close 199 steps after something steps _off_ a pressure plate (99 step plate reset + 100 step floodgate reaction time).
Doors react instantly, but only close when a creature steps off a plate, and only with a 99 step delay, so are still completely useless for trapping.

Raising drawbridges are raised and thus completely block path when someone steps on a pressure plate. However, that still happens with a 100 step delay, by which time the creature will be a long way off the plate.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 11:33:55 pm »

What about floor hatches? When the enemy steps on the plate, they are left stuck standing on a column.  I believe hatches open instantly, like doors. Now that climbing is a thing, it is necessary to make the column of smoothed natural stone, and maybe more than 1 z high.  Will they attempt to jump the 1 tile gap? It might need to be wider.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 04:17:53 am »

I've used floorhatches to block cavern critters from accessing my forts before, so I'd say they'd work decently as a trap as long as you take jumping and climbing into account while designing it. Though now that I think about it, you could probably use it to make a devious contraption that tricks goblins into climbing down a hole that seals itself up after they're inside- a roach motel for gobbos.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle