Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Keldwikk: Deities Returned (OOC Thread)  (Read 4673 times)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Keldwikk: Deities Returned (OOC Thread)
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:45:49 pm »

As Keldwikk slowly sank into the depths of the Forum Games and Roleplaying section, this game is perhaps that, several years in-game later - but also allowing for multi-user play.

This is a discussion thread to allow for community tweaking; suggest away on how this game could be better, or if you have any game logic questions.

Introduction
In 2014, a spirit awoke on earth as a mindless, emotionless, identitiless, invisible entity. It grew in power. Soon after, more appeared, also growing in power. It is now 2018 in Modern-day Earth and the spirits have refound themselves; they were once gods and goddesses, and they are back with a vengeance.

General Gameplay
This is a roleplay-action game, meaning you can chatter and roleplay to your hearts content for each turn, but it must all be able to happen in that turn - with results of all your actions and roleplay coming to fruition at the "end of turn" post (which is the way random chances/conflicts/etc happen).

You are capable of creating anything. You are capable of destroying anything. You are capable of saving anything. You are capable of making the world a better place and you are capable of enslaving it or wiping out Humans altogether and rebuilding a new master race.

Your only obstacles? Human ingenuity and other gods (players) who might seek to help them, personally stop you, keep the balance of all, or to take over everything themselves.

Rules

"Omniscience (infinite knowledge), omnipotence (unlimited power), omnipresence (present everywhere)."

Joining The Game
- Anybody can join the game at any time (allowing for fresh new deities throughout).

Turns and Roleplay
- One turn is one month.
- Players can post freely in-character in the thread all they like, including roleplay, counter-roleplay and actions.
- Post both your actions the short-term/local reactions to your actions.
- Bring your deity to life. Change the face of the world to however you like it. There's nothing stopping you, except dying (below).
- Please Bold and Underline your actions so that I can find them easily for end-of-turn-posts.
- If you're happy to end your turn before the end of the month, say "End of Turn" at the end of the post.
- At the end of the month, I will post how the world has changed because of your posts, as well as any random effects.

Some possible gameplay choices
- Live as benign, invisible being and watch as the world goes by.
- Save people's lives using your power.
- Designate a human/creation prophet and spread your religion across the globe.
- Conquer the world.
- Help humans advance, technologically and biologically.
- Whatever else you could possibly imagine.

Power
- Doing things costs power. Worship increases power.
- Show mercy with spontaneous miracles.
- Express yourself (ie, make people spontaneously combust who rape. ie, cause politicians who lie to suicide on national TV. Whatever).
- Choose a prophet to spread your word, focus on him and help him prove you are real.

Creation
- Caveat: "Creature" being "Created thing" for terminology reasons here.
- Creatures, Dragons, Dwarves, Rocks, Plants, Robots, Elementals or whatever else you could possibly imagine.

- To create a creature...
- - Describe them and I will tell you how much they will cost in power per unit.
- - The more intelligence/strengths/advantages they have, the more they cost.
- - The more weaknesses/disadvantages they have, the less they cost.
- - Give your creatures "rules" to live by, how much free will they have (in %) and the chance in genetic mutation at reproduction result (in %) (so they can evolve, or stay the same).
- - Finally, describe your creature's appearance and (partially cosmetic) personality.

- - Except high free will creatures with high mutation to go out of control. Except otherwise, the other end of the spectrum.

- - How creatures act when they (meet humans unnoticed, are noticed by humans, meet (animal X) unnoticed, are noticed by any animal other than human when noticed, etc). Go crazy.
- - The more of these rules, in previous note, the more they are capable of reacting as you like. Otherwise they will react according to their free will.
- - High free will will make them curious and learn. Low free will will make them passive/ignorant.

- - Creatures can be given "orders" during gameplay which will generally influence their activity.
- - Creatures can be left to their own devices with the rules given to them.
- - Free Will % will effect how often they do/don't abide by the previous two settings.

- - - Get creative and ask anything you're not sure about in discussion.

Creation Example
Name: Dwarf
Strengths: Incredibly tough, pretty good in a fist fight and enjoys using axes and sharp helmets.
Weaknesses: Slow, stupid and easily distracted.
When meeting a [human] unnoticed, throw rocks.
When meeting an [elf] noticed, physically attempt to throw them into the nearest source of heat.
When meeting [alcohol], aggressively defend and consume it as quickly as possible.
When meeting a [mountain], construct a fortress.
40% Free will. 20% mutation chance.

Bio snippet: Dwarves will consume beer during mating rituals. If the male passes out before the female, there is no reproduction. If the other way around, congratulations.
Alternative bio snippet : Females in the Dwarven Society are dominant and commence death sentences by Snoo-Snoo.
Alternative bio snippet: Dwarves are very lazy and will react aggressively when awoken, to anything nearby.

Destruction
- Plant destruction costs 20 power a km^2.
- Animal destruction costs 20 power a km^2.
- Human destruction costs 50 power a person.
- Human area of damage is X*10 per km^2, where X is amount of people.

Wipe out a ____ of humans
- - Cities; 100,000 power.
- - Towns; 50,000 power.
- - Village; 10,000 power.

Main Interactions with other deities
- Form alliance (One agreed purpose), equals to a pantheon. If a "Head" of pantheon is chosen (ie; Zeus), they take an agreed % of other pantheon member power/turn.
- Any other discussing/plotting/etc.
- Declare War (Public announcement of attack; can cause human conflicts through prophet communication) equals to a Nemesis.
- Attack Deity (This allows you to steal/consume the power of another deity).
- - This can only be done if a deity has no followers (human or otherwise).
- Anything else goes.

Lose Conditions
-  Your power hits 0 or below at any time.

Maps

There will be a World Map and a Country Map (I'll load up country maps in active countries).

Maps will display religion percentages, location of custom creations, destructions, prophets, etc.

Spoiler: World Map (click to show/hide)

Deity Creation
Name (Can be historical or custom)
Religion Name
Starting Country (Ireland)
Alignment (Fucking evil as fuck)
Known For (Miracles during a full moon)
Sigil/Animal (example: Athenia's Owl)
Ancestral Relation (if applicable) (ie, from greek mythology, or custom/new offspring of norse mythology)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:11:29 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Keldwikk: Deities Returned (Pre-Game Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:16 pm »

Alternatively from a point-based creation system, players could simply describe their creation... its strengths, its weaknesses, how it spreads, how it attacks/helps people/trees/things... and then I give it a cost per unit of said creation? That seems much easier/simpler.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 02:28:20 pm »

« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:39:41 pm by Ama »

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 03:38:42 pm »

This isn't the game thread, it's discussion on how to make it more interesting or if any rules need adjusting, before the game is launched.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 03:46:40 pm »

This isn't the game thread, it's discussion on how to make it more interesting or if any rules need adjusting, before the game is launched.
Sorry.

The rules look fine to me, although I`m not really a big fan of there being a way to win the game. It seems to me like it would cut down on roleplaying and causes less focus to be on creating.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 03:50:04 pm »

Sorry.

The rules look fine to me, although I`m not really a big fan of there being a way to win the game. It seems to me like it would cut down on roleplaying and causes less focus to be on creating.

I agree to some degree. Game VS Roleplay situation, I'm more inclined to Roleplay personally. Anybody else against this change (removing win conditions?), and should we remove lose conditions too?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 03:53:58 pm »

I think we should keep lose conditions. After all if one god is a jerk to all the other gods this god should be able to be defeated. Other wise people will have no risk when it comes to annoying other gods.

Also, I think a Description part should be added to the Deity Creation, so we can tell what the other gods look like.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:01:09 pm by Ama »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 04:09:13 pm »

Lemme grab out my old goddess chair and revamp it.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 06:24:43 pm »

I think this kind of game could have some cool implications -- if one deity is pushing for the destruction of mankind with his minions, another could be using his minions to organize a defence. Pretty simple RTS gameplay really, but in the scope of a clean slate of Earth, I'm looking forward to seeing how creative Bay12 CAN actually be!
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 06:49:54 pm »

I always love god games like this and the rules seem to be fine so whenever your ready, just make the game thread.  :D

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 12:14:01 am »

Oh cool, I call being the God of Foolishness, Happiness, and Mushrooms!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Keldwikk: Deities Returned (OOC Thread)
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 04:32:00 pm »

Why does the turn report include summations of each column? I fail to see a situation where all of Asia totaled does not constitute 100% of Asia.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »

Why does the turn report include summations of each column? I fail to see a situation where all of Asia totaled does not constitute 100% of Asia.

That's just for logic to make sure it's all calculating properly.

FYI following that post you just made, feel free to post what you did in fact find as the harshest, most remote place. Check out the Time Lapsing spoiler in the first post.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:23:06 pm »

Are character sheets posted in the IC Thread after the game has started? I'm considering joining this.
Nevermind, just saw the IC Thread Message.

Edit:
Spoiler: Sheet incoming! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:16:54 pm by jetex1911 »
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:31 pm »

Oops! Forgot to announce!

Game Thread is up! I'll introduce new players once the three months are up.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4