Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19

Author Topic: Battlefleet Gothic - Armada. RTS.  (Read 39468 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Battlefleet Gothic - Armada. RTS.
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:13 am »

Yeah, still cautiously optimistic about the game! Space battles are fun, and the campaign appears to be much more than linear missions, which always bore/annoy me!

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2016, 12:47:26 pm »

I used to play the actual Gothic back in the turn of the millenia. I wonder how much the game takes from it. Orks where interesting for being so unpredictable - for example, the number of torpedoes you managed to shoot was rolled with dice every time you launched. RNG incarnate is required to make them interesting to play anyway, otherwise they'd be just a boring brute force faction.

Course that was also the reason why Orks were pretty much one of the worst faction on the tabletop as well, the random strength heavy batteries was pretty weak often and most of the time did the same if not less then other battery systems.

Though I loved their attack ships that were both Assault ships and Bomba's, Fighta-Bomba's were the best! Also the Klaws that could grab ships up close and hold them, entire fleets of ramming ships, and the Shokk attack gunz.

I may be confusing some of the old stuff with some of the revised fan content, I remember Orks being pretty poor at one point.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2016, 01:29:31 pm »

I jumped my way through some of the video and i'm getting more optimistic about this. The ship customisation seems pretty impressive - it looks like you'll be able to tweak things a lot, but that each upgrade is much more than just a case of +/- a few stats.

The tactical combat looks a lot better than I originally thought - it first off looked way too close range and that it'd be more of an arena brawl than anything else. Whilst it's still not the massive scale I'd prefer, it does look like there will be actual tactics with it, rather than just a slug fest.

My main two worries;
First it seems as though they've been a bit rushed - that's kinda to be expected, but I do wonder if it'll be severely buggy/unbalanced
Second one is that it won't be open to modding at all. As on the TW:Warhammer thread, it's well known that GW get pathetic about their IP and modding, but I'm kinda hoping that this might be open enough to this. This is just dying for a few total conversion mods!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2016, 02:13:27 pm »

No mod support doesn't necessarily mean no mods :)

My main concern is that the devs don't seem to have put out any well received games yet.  The reviews for their last two on Steam are fairly damning.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2016, 05:11:10 pm »

Well, if Silver Dollar Games (a developer notorious for terrible shovelware) can create one of the top-rated Steam games of all time, I'd say that anyone could pull off a similar feat given the right inspiration.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2016, 05:15:02 pm »

Well, if Silver Dollar Games (a developer notorious for terrible shovelware) can create one of the top-rated Steam games of all time, I'd say that anyone could pull off a similar feat given the right inspiration.
I can already say this will be great, the only problem is that it might not really be great to people who are outside WH40k fandom.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2016, 05:18:55 pm »

I think that remains to be seen. Folks who like RTS will probably look at it, at least, and those who enjoy space RTS will probably look into it or buy it even if they've never heard of WH40k.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2016, 05:37:24 pm »

Well, it seems really similar to the old Nexus - The Jupiter Incident, some of the UI elements seem really similar and the whole gameplay is built on basically the same principle, so I guess it could easily be just generic tactical space combat "sim", the WH40k universe is just really cool addition to it.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident is a great game to base one's RTS off of, if that's the case. I don't think I ever came close to beating it but that wasn't for lack of enjoyment!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2016, 07:21:12 pm »

The thing about Nexus is that even though it had the right feel, I never really felt like I was having any real impact on the battles. Attack this ship, attack that ship, or focus on weapons/subsystems first to take'em out so they can't fire at you. I remember always going to basically the same decisions, and restarting the mission to try to attack enemy ships in another order (but essentially in the same way). It was also really opaque in how your decisions were affecting the battle.

This one seems to give a lot more feedback about your decisions, and gives you more tactical choices because ships are more than a set of guns. The guns are more visible, have specific facings, making ship positioning a whole lot more important and interesting...

Nexus nailed the space opera look, but never really gave me the really interesting tactical decisions and visual feedback on what was wondering and what wasn't.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2016, 07:28:47 pm »

Nexus also went the way of 3D movement in space, which is rare (especially in RTSs).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2016, 07:35:49 pm »

Love Warhammer, love RTS, will probably check it out. Is it out on Steam yet?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2016, 07:40:10 pm »

Love Warhammer, love RTS, will probably check it out. Is it out on Steam yet?
Pre-order for now, but I think there is some kind of beta, unsure how to get to it though.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2016, 11:30:30 am »

How to get access to the multiplayer beta (and what is in it):

Greetings Admirals,

The Battlefleet Gothic: Armada multiplayer beta begins this evening, starting at some point between 7PM - 9PM (CET)! Before you embark on your crusade in the Gothic Sector, we have a few pieces of key intel to share:

Accessing the Multiplayer Beta
To gain instant access to this multiplayer beta once it’s released, you will need to pre-order Battlefleet Gothic: Armada through the Steam store. The beta will then be available for installation in your library, under the standard name of ‘Battlefleet Gothic: Armada’.

The download will be around 3GB in size - note that pre-loading is not possible, and the download can only be initiated once the beta launches. With regards to localization, this multiplayer beta is available in English only.

You can view the system requirements for Battlefleet Gothic: Armada HERE

Preparing For Battle
Before jumping into glorious battle against your fellow players, we’d recommend playing through the Campaign Prologue. This acts as a tutorial to teach you the basics of gameplay, and sets the scene for the Gothic War in which the game takes place.

This multiplayer beta allows you to play as either Imperium or Chaos, which make up two of the four races that will appear on the game’s release. Along with multiplayer, you also have the option of playing in offline skirmishes against an AI fleet.

We Want To Hear From You!
Please remember that this is a real beta, and does not represent the quality of the final product. There may be bugs, and things could go wrong!

As developers, we are incredibly excited and eager to hear what you think about the Battlefleet Gothic: Armada multiplayer beta. Don’t be afraid to share your comments, positive or otherwise – it all helps us in ensuring the finished game is as good as it can be.

Also remember that you are not under any kind of NDA during this beta. This means you can stream, share, screenshot and talk about everything you see in the game – in fact, we strongly encourage it!

Beyond the Beta
We will be wiping all online progress at the end of the multiplayer beta. This will help to avoid the unfair advantage beta participants may otherwise have in online play when Battlefleet Gothic: Armada releases fully.

The multiplayer beta will be playable all the way until the full release of Battlefleet Gothic: Armada.

All glory to the Emperor!

Focus Home Interactive and Tindalos Interactive

Source
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2016, 07:23:46 pm »

After checking out the beta, my reservations have pretty much vanished.  This game's pretty damn awesome.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19