Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Archery Ranges not working?  (Read 3937 times)

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery Ranges not working?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:46 pm »

Im with GhostDwemer here. The only issues I've ever had with getting marksdwarfs to train is the thing where they won't trade out combat-specified bolts for training-specified bolts. But if any bolts they're carrying are specified for training, they'll spend time at the ranges no problem. Though I've always given them a barracks, and made sure every target was it's own range.

mitrigol

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 08:31:06 am »

Okay, i must admit it was a long long time since a tried the archery training using the normal way.
So, following your comments, i tried again, i am on 40.24.
And yes, the training does now work properly for me too. But i still have the bolt issue. Once they loaded the metal bolt for combat, they are unlikely to take back wooden training bolts without the little manipulation i explained.

I updated my process in my latest comment.

Thanks!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 07:27:51 pm »

I've had this archery range problem as well
But then I dug into a cavern and just used the beasties in there for live fire training instead
Though one marks dwarf got killed by a giant bat so ya
And a spear dwarf (unrelated) is currently stuck and injured because of a spider run in...
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:18:32 am »

With regards to the humungous loss of bolts: Make your archery range as long as you possible can, and give a space of 2 tiles or so between each target. Behind the targets, put a trench and then a wall. This increases the chance that the dwarves will miss while simultaneously allowing you to collect the missed shots. The main issue is that dwarves become more accurate as they get better.
Dwarves get xp regardless of whether or not their shot hits, by the way.

Alternately, set up a very wide, fortification-ringed arena, preferably circular and about 30-40 units in diameter. Have a 1-tile walkway running around the whole business adjacent to the fortifications, with a trench around that, and create a barracks that covers the walkway. In the center, drop a few undead. Your dwarves will go there for melee training, spot the undead, and then shoot bolts off until they either run out of ammo or finish their training. With such a vast gap between them and their target, the undead will have ample chance to dodge, and the missed bolts will fly through the opposite fortifications and fall into the trench. Due to the huge space, this does have the disadvantage of an increased likelihood that the bolts will fall short and land inside the arena, but that is countered by the massively increased xp gain from using live targets.
If you have no undead, normal hostile wildlife/goblins will suffice, but they just don't last as long before needing replacement.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 
Pages: 1 [2]