Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 106

Author Topic: Paranormal 24 - Game over! Doppelganger Victory!  (Read 216760 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 24 - Day 1 always ruins vacations
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2015, 09:21:23 am »

Flabort
NQT what would you do if you had Large Tech slot?
I'd go for Intel without a doubt, but if I was an alien and had a Large Tech slot I'd probably have a different wincon than I do. How about yourself?
Probably the Plasma Bomb or Intel. I think a properly timed Plasma Bomb could kill half the scum-team or more.

Flabort:  Why are you already distancing?
Huh? Oh, not wanting to take part in 4mask's gambit.
You'll see. Lower down in this post.
But you said there were other participants and a gambit! You openly outed it and now you're backtracking. Please explain.
I don't see myself backtracking. I'm going to get to the bottom of why 4mask decided that this was a good idea, and I'm going to keep pressing him on it.
As far as saying that there were other participants and a gambit, yes, I did say that, but I still didn't say who those were.
Flabort: Why allude to PMs, and not be upfront about them? What's with the slow unravelling of information?
To protect the other two, as of yet unnamed participants.
flabort, why reveal Mask's gambit so quickly when you couldn't be sure whether he was being honest or not?
I cannot for the life of me see the gambit working. I'm almost certain he's lying or hiding something, or else the gambit could not work.
Take a look yourself (some small snips to protect the identities of the other two):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems a lot of things "ruin the exercise". The plan fails to take into account people outside the gambit, it fails to account for anyone mentioning it outside the PMs, it fails to account for vigilantes, vets, or several other role-related-variables, and it fails to account for anything beyond night 1.

NQT:
Toaster
Don't try to bullshit ourselves that a D1 lynch cannot possibly be productive, and stick to our guns and play solid Mafia.
Good advice. Do you think that Wolf and Flabort could be on the same team?

It's totally within the realm of possibility.  4mask loves a gambit, and I imagine Flabort would hop right on board.
If it were a well-thought-out gambit, I absolutely would. It's an awful and not-at-all town-sided gambit, though, and extremely short-term.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:59 am »

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

*Sobs*

Do you feel missing out on the initial flood of posts disadvantages you?  If so, how do you intent to put yourself back in line?

To an extent, yes. A lot of my scumhunting technique involves directly interacting with people, so being out of the action for a number of pages makes my job harder. That being said, I have a few free hours throughout the day that I can use to collect questions aimed my way and to respond to game content that sticks out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:00 am »

Flabort:  Why hide the other two names?

If it were a well-thought-out gambit, I absolutely would. It's an awful and not-at-all town-sided gambit, though, and extremely short-term.

Is it merely not helping town or is it actively anti-town?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2015, 09:42:04 am »

Darned wifom... Too many possible reasons for this 'gambit', too many different outcomes...

Quote from: Flabor
some small snips to protect the identities of the other two

And also to hide Wolf's role. Not really worth mentioning, just surprised you didn't say it there.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:57 am »

I guess it's the former of the two (merely not helping), until you consider that he's likely lying about being an investigative role, at which point it does become actively anti-town.

As for why hide those names, I'm sure they want nothing to do with this anymore, and since they could be town I don't want them killed. Yet.

Darned wifom... Too many possible reasons for this 'gambit', too many different outcomes...

Quote from: Flabort
some small snips to protect the identities of the other two

And also to hide Wolf's role. Not really worth mentioning, just surprised you didn't say it there.
Oh, yeah. He claimed Human Reporter. I forgot that I snipped that too, and forgot why.
The Cyan Menace

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2015, 09:44:18 am »

Oh, since I'm unfamiliar with the way PMs work as they were omitted from the BM game I was in:

Is there a possibility any part of the PM may be fabricated? Obviously, Wolf could confirm it or whatever, but are you actually allowed to do that?
The circle is complete.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2015, 09:47:21 am »

Yeah, I guess I am allowed to fabricate PMs. It just takes a lot of time to do, because I would have to fabricate the quote.

PMs are rarely, if ever, included in a forum mafia game because they add a level of deceit and confusion that most GMs would rather not deal with. Requiring Meph to be included as a recipient with any PM is part of that headache because that is one full inbox.
The Cyan Menace

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:45 am »

Wow, this moved fast in 12 hours.

4maskwolf, flabort, Deathsword: Let's say that someone claimed themselves as the War Vet. They offer to turn off their power to allow themself to be investigated. Night comes, and the cop dies. What happened?
Either the vet didn't turn off their powers, or the cop was killed by someone unrelated to it all, or the vet was a fakeclaim to lure in the cop. Either way a cop was lost.

Deathsword, what's the second-most thing you find suspicious on Day 1?
Active lurking. The first, of course, is active scum behaviour such as rolefishing, buddying and outright lying. Active lurking, though, will always rate pretty high for me.

More soon.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2015, 09:50:55 am »

I guess it's the former of the two (merely not helping), until you consider that he's likely lying about being an investigative role, at which point it does become actively anti-town.

Either that, or she's actually an investigative/whatever role and trying to dissuade people from going after her. Or she's a vet trying to lure people. Or she's a 'various other possibilities and motives here'.

This situation is too Wifom for me to make heads or tails out of.  She seemed to expect someone to quote it, so us people who were 'outside' the gambit were probably expected to read it anyway. Does anyone else have some glorious insight?

PPE:
Yeah, I guess I am allowed to fabricate PMs. It just takes a lot of time to do, because I would have to fabricate the quote.

Also the speaking style of the person who you're fabricating a PM for. I'm not saying you have done it in this case, I think that's highly unlikely, I was just wondering if it was allowed by the rules.
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2015, 09:52:52 am »

Oh, I thought I'd posted this. It turns out I hadn't.

Quote from: Toaster
What if I said every question was loaded?

Then I would say 'That's the nature of these questions, but some more so than others.'

Quote from: Toaster
So why did you answer it?

Because I wanted to.

The circle is complete.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:03 am »

Cheeetar, ToooonyMan, Jim Grooooovester: Which is more scummy, someone who flops votes around every 2 posts, or someone who sticks it on one person and refuses to move it?
They both are warranted really, but at least if you're flopping your votes it could be because you actually have new suspicions. While somebody who sticks to one person may just be being lazy. Flip-flopping your votes doesn't give them much pressure though.

Mastahcheeeeeeese
Another question: who would you least like to face as a scum-team in this game?
Who would be the least likely I'd want to face?
Hmm.
You don't need to repeat the question to cement your townie-ness.

ToonyMan, what's the biggest mistake you ever made in a Paranormal game?
Being in this one. I was a Exterminator in one round I think, and ended up dying with a dopp near the middle.

ToonyMan: Which role is most powerful in the hands of the town? Doppelganger?
Investigation roles are basically a give-me for town. Advanced Doppelgangers are super annoying.

ToonyMan, what do you make of there only being one vote cast so far in what is supposed to be the Random Vote Stage?
Odd. I don't emphasis RVS so it doesn't really bother me.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2015, 09:59:10 am »

Wow, this moved fast in 12 hours.
You said it x_x
I didn't even formulate my D1 questions yet because wow activity :D

PMs are rarely, if ever, included in a forum mafia game because they add a level of deceit and confusion that most GMs would rather not deal with. Requiring Meph to be included as a recipient with any PM is part of that headache because that is one full inbox.
Err, yeaaah. Note ahead: There is a maximum of 20 PMs per hour.
The Reply to All button (lower rght portion) replies to all those in the sender box--that means if a letter was done like 'Mephansteras, Villager #17, Caz, You', the Reply to All sends to all these, with the sender replacing the 'You' part.

Also just saying such because of my experience with the PM network here :P
So many PMs.
So...many PMs. (not related to Mafia at all)

ToonyMan is playing!?
Oh...oh wow. Long time no see dude.
I hope you don't bear any subconscious grudge towards me at all given our last games together.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2015, 10:10:07 am »

NQT:
Shakerag, if random votes aren't necessary, what is it about random questions that you like?
Screwing with peoples' heads.  Especially if by shaking their tree I get some scumslips to drop out.

UXLZ:  Okay.  So, how well do you like your teammates?

Deus Asmoth:  There's always more than one point to my questions. 

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 21, 2015, 10:13:57 am »

Ok, I have to stop now so I'm posting what I've got, and I'll pick up later.
(Note to self: left off on page 9)

Wait, Mastahcheese, did you mean that the cop dies at the beginning of or during the night? You didn't say that either. Because in the former case, then the cop was lynched.
I meant that the cop died at night. But that's clever.

Mastahcheese:
Under what circumstances would the non-role-based protests from others convince you that a scum read of yours was wrong?
Non-role based ones? So just trying to genuinely convince me.
Hmm. I think that's really too much of a case by case scenario to give a proper answer to that. But really, when people start doing claims and the like, and sorting out who did what, those are things that I like.

(running out of time so I can't quote)
NQT asked what I'm going to do with the people I mentioned (as suspision should be default)
I'm just going to have to look carefully over everything. As many minor details as I can, really.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2015, 10:30:00 am »

Hmph.  I was hoping for a more severe response.  As is, I don't have much to go on.

notquitethere: Actually, flabort spilling the beans was an unforseen complication.  I had to adapt and improvise on the spot, but the scum in this game are too canny to just jump on an easy target.

About the gambit: Basically, there were two "phases" to the gambit.  The first was the pm's, the second was my response to flabort outing it.

I'll explain in brief what the gambit was and quote the pm below.

Phase One: phase one was claiming my role to three random players from the player list in order to create a sort of "cell" of people in the know.  My role is Human Reporter (technically just reporter, human is implied by lack of doppleganger in my role PM).  The idea was that, hopefully, there would be one scum in my cell, so that they had to make an interesting decision: if they killed me, they were basically claiming that one of the three was a dopp, and if they didn't kill me they were leaving an investigative role alive.  I calculated the odds of the gambit being absolutely FUBAR at 5%, assuming a couple of variables that could be different than what I calculated for, and that was a risk I was willing to take.

Phase Two: Phase two was developed when flabort hinted at the pm's in his post.  He was obviously intending to draw the question of "what pm's" so that he could tell you all, so I had to think of a way to make this whole thing hopefully not a total waste of my time.  As such, when flabort did tell everyone I feigned overreaction, hoping to draw some scum into bandwagoning and then turning it around on them.  Obviously it didn't work, since the only person who jumped on was Cheeetar and he was going to do that anyway because he hates my playstyle.

Spoiler: original PM (click to show/hide)

flabort: here's what bugs me about how you've gone about this:
By revealing the existance of my gambit to the town, you have drawn undue attention onto me, increasing the odds that I get killed regardless.  Additionally, many of the players in this game are, shall we say, strongly anti-gambit, most specifically Cheeetar, and you likely knew that you could rely on at least some of these players to try to lynch me on the grounds of the gambit alone.
Additionally, while none of my PM's SPECIFICALLY said not to mention the conversation, there's a reason I used PRIVATE MESSAGES to do this.  The fact that I didn't reveal it to the general public SHOULD have made it abundantly clear that the general public was not to know about it at the present time.
Thirdly, you very obviously wanted people to find out about it, but intentionally went about it in a roundabout way.  You made it clear in your first post that there were pm's going around, drawing the question of "what pm's".  If you had a legitimate concern that the gambit might backfire and thought that revealing it might diffuse that, you would have said it openly, rather than doing the sneaky, underhanded method of revealing it.
The last point is how you voted me.  You voted me in the post that you revealed that I was doing a gambit, BEFORE I could actually respond.  This gives you plausible deniability if I were mislynched, since you were the first one to vote me and voted before I explained the gambit.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 106