Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 106

Author Topic: Paranormal 24 - Game over! Doppelganger Victory!  (Read 216743 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 24 - Day 1 always ruins vacations
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2015, 11:08:55 pm »

4maskwolf
Shakerag: Do you want the honest answer or the nice answer?
Both, naturally.  After you answer that, tell me why you're so willing to lie to me this early in the game as well.
Honest Answer: I don't know you well enough to tell you.
Nice Answer: No, you're not an asshole, why would you even think I'd think you were?

To spare your feelings of course (insert heart emoticon here).

But seriously, ask stupid question, get stupid answer.  Monkey see, monkey do.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:54 pm »

flabort: Do you think a tough doppelganger or an advanced one is more dangerous to the town?
Let's see....
Advanced ones are functionally Disguisers like in Town of Salem, but without the advantage that the consumed character would have of talking with a medium in dead chat; in fact, it's half-disguiser and half-1shot-cult-convert.
Tough ones are immune to Vigs and maybe Vets. That's about it for tough ones.
I'd say the Advanced ones are more dangerous.

flabort:  How glad are you that I didn't end up with an Advanced Assassin bot and daykill your ass as soon as the game started?
Relieved, but worried that this is a scenario that you came up with.
Did I do something in a previous game that warrants a grudge? I can't remember.
All in all, no happier than I was because any happiness gained was lost by the fear gained.

Mastahcheese I see the PMs are already starting.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???????????????????????????????

Why would anybody be talking to anybody this early in the game, unless you're on the same team as them?
Oh, it's just someone talking about a gambit. I think you can guess who. If you don't, here's a hint:
They cover their face and howl at the moon.
In answer to your question, I see three scenarios:
1) The veteran forgot to say when they were letting down their shields, or forgot to let them down.
2) The veteran is a doppelganger.
3) The doppelgangers found the cop either the night before or by dumb luck and shot him the night the veteran happened to lower his shields.
Oh, and what 4mask said about gambits, I guess.

Your answer is incomplete. The sources of kills in this game are not disguised, so we would know whether the cop was killed by a dopp or a PWV or whatever else have you.

Why did you fail to take this into consideration?
I didn't realize that changed anything. And the question didn't say which kill took place; it just said the cop dies. So I just listed the scenarios I thought most likely.

Wait, Mastahcheese, did you mean that the cop dies at the beginning of or during the night? You didn't say that either. Because in the former case, then the cop was lynched.
Jim Groovester What psychic role would you most like? What would you do with it?

Probably Psychic Warden. It's the most directly useful, what with it being a roleblock. Medium isn't bad either, what with being able to collect dead players' claims.
I like the way you think. I'd disagree with you on roleblocks being the most useful in theory, but having seen their effectiveness in previous games, I think I can agree.

4maskwolf There's another saying about monkeys. Nie mój cyrk, nie moje malpy (Polish). Asking stupid questions is not my problem, but I have a problem with making a big deal about it, or rather making a bigger deal out of anything than needs to be made, as illustrated by the phrase "making a mountain out of a molehill".
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:35 pm »

Well, thank you flabort for revealing yourself as anti-town.

Yes, I attempted a gambit.  I'll describe it as a Xanatos gambit where one of the two options would be a Thanatos Gambit.  The entire point of the gambit revolved around the general public not knowing about it, as it would draw undue attention onto me and mess up the odds of the outcomes to the point where the gambit is useless.

Since he decided to throw it open to the entire public, it is clear that he does not want the gambit to work and, as it was a pro-town gambit, is logically anti-town.

If necessary, I will divulge additional details of the gambit, since it's now a moot point.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2015, 11:35:40 pm »

Also, flabort, I'm not going to translate that, but must I put [JOKE][/JOKE] tags around jokes?  Probably, actually, I'll keep those for copy-pasting later.  But did I vote him or accuse him for his question?  no.  I simply was sarcastic.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2015, 11:43:55 pm »

You never said you didn't want me to talk about it, you even included a line labeled "For quoting purposes". The other two participants can back me up on that if they want.
You also said it would only work to the end of night 1, but you never said that mentioning the PMs would reveal anything; you mentioned something else that would reveal if one of the participants were scum.

Notice I only said that there was a gambit going on. I never said the other two participant's names, I never said what your gambit was, or who said "OK, now you're acting weird".

Since you decided to neglect those details and form such a foggy plan (If A then one of XYZ are scum, if B than I don't know), it's clear you didn't expect it to succeed in the first place, and expected someone to spit a frog out of their mouth. You then pounced immediately on said person, devouring them for their 'mistake'.
The Cyan Menace

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2015, 11:47:50 pm »

I'll explain exactly how hilariously wrong and/or lacking foresight you are tomorrow, flabort, but I need to sleep right now.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2015, 11:52:26 pm »

Oh, and the saying in English is "Not my Circus, Not my Monkeys".
The town's concerns are my concerns, not your gambits. My circus is the well being of the humans, and my monkeys are the answers to each question in the thread, and the death of scum. The monkey running about that is a gambit executed far before anyone could read the first RVS questions is not my concern. 

You're acting so weird, like that other guy said. You're overreacting to jokes, making your own jokes, and not making that clear, and you're devising such odd gambits. Like, I didn't need a gale-force hurricane to knock over your gambit and get your reaction. I simply breathed on it and you're blowing up like it was a house of cards you spend years building.
The Cyan Menace

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2015, 12:13:56 am »

4maskwolf: Clearly explain what you were attempting to do (perhaps by quoting your initial PM) without using TV Tropes. I'd feel a lot more comfortable regarding it as a pro-town or anti-town gambit if I knew what the hell you were proposing, and why you're so frustrated with Flabort being honest about it.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2015, 12:23:03 am »

Yep, fess up, you two. You can't reasonably expect anybody to go along with your votes without details of what either of you are talking about.

Jim Groovester:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:15 am »

Mastahcheese:
Scripten, Tiruin, Toastaaaar: Arrr, ye be thinkin' somebody be up to no good, but the cop, who now lay at the bottom o' Davy Jone's Locker, had been sayin' that very same somebody be innocent, 'fore he died.
How does this influence yer views?

Double-avast the cop's views some I would say, but there's more than one way around an inspection.  I'd take my time to make sure I was sure, but if everything checked out, I may just steam ahead full course and vote.

Under what circumstances would the non-role-based protests from others convince you that a scum read of yours was wrong?

NQT:
Toaster, in a game with so many players, how can we hope to have a fruitful first lynch?

Don't try to bullshit ourselves that a D1 lynch cannot possibly be productive, and stick to our guns and play solid Mafia.

Shakerag:
Toaster:  Who do you watch more carefully:  players you haven't seen before or the old vets?

In all honesty, no preference.  Once something catches my eye, I really hound that person regardless of who they are.  I'm rusty enough that I have trouble reading the vets now.

4mask:
If necessary, I will divulge additional details of the gambit, since it's now a moot point.

I don't get it; if it's already moot, why not divulge?

Flabort:  Why are you already distancing?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:31 am »

The Whiteboard
4maskwolf: Cheeetar, flabort
flabort: 4maskwolf

Day ends ~5pm Pacific Friday
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2015, 04:30:28 am »

Wolf
Here's the thing: If I go for a gambit as town, it's likely to be a Xanatos Gambit, if at all: that is, I'll gambit if I can find a way to manipulate any possibility to my advantage.  At the very least, I'll try to minimalize the fallout should some unforseen circumstance occur.
I can assume then that Flabort spilling the beans and now me asking you this question is a part of the gambit then?

As a final note, while it may not seem like it, I try to weigh every gambit carefully before I follow through.
I want to believe this is true.

What is your opinion on Town Gambits in a game such as Paranormal?  And who would you pick as YOUR scumbuddies?
I'm broadly in favour. I loved that one where the guy was a Paranoid Veteran and claimed doctor to kill the scum.

I won a game with Shakerag and Tiruin on my scumteam before so I'd be happy with that combo. Maybe with Toaster, as I've failed to detect his scummitude in at least one game.

Deus Asmoth, I'm glad to hear you intend to vote. Here's another question: which possible scum-team combination of roles would be your worst-case scenario?

Cheese
Probably Tiruin, cause I can never see through her. Followed by Toonyman, because he could probably run circles around me in regards to playing capability in general. Then probably Shakerag. I don't trust Shakerag.
The forth person would then be... I dunno, Jim? He always seems insane to me.
What are you going to do to keep up with Tiruin, Toony & Jim in this game? (Not trusting a player should be the default state.)

Flabort
NQT what would you do if you had Large Tech slot?
I'd go for Intel without a doubt, but if I was an alien and had a Large Tech slot I'd probably have a different wincon than I do. How about yourself?

To answer your question, I'm going to play more aggressively than normal, at least I'm going to try.
The trick is to keep up momentum and don't let dubious things slide.

Mastahcheese I see the PMs are already starting.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???????????????????????????????
Oh, it's just someone talking about a gambit. I think you can guess who. If you don't, here's a hint:
They cover their face and howl at the moon.
You never said you didn't want me to talk about it, you even included a line labeled "For quoting purposes". The other two participants can back me up on that if they want.
Notice I only said that there was a gambit going on. I never said the other two participant's names, I never said what your gambit was, or who said "OK, now you're acting weird".
But you said there were other participants and a gambit! You openly outed it and now you're backtracking. Please explain.

TolyK, do you know who's playing this game?

TDS
A personal shield to avoid dying.
Reasonable enough for most of the alien wincons. What do you think of the recent Flabort/4mask exchange?

Cheeetar
I see the PMs are already starting.

How are you aware that people are PMing each other- are you claiming to have been PMed or to have PMed other players?
If you'd received a PM would you have alluded to it like Flabort did?

Shakerag, if random votes aren't necessary, what is it about random questions that you like?

Toaster
Don't try to bullshit ourselves that a D1 lynch cannot possibly be productive, and stick to our guns and play solid Mafia.
Good advice. Do you think that Wolf and Flabort could be on the same team?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2015, 04:33:29 am »

Cheeetar
I see the PMs are already starting.

How are you aware that people are PMing each other- are you claiming to have been PMed or to have PMed other players?
If you'd received a PM would you have alluded to it like Flabort did?

I wouldn't've alluded to it- probably would've just quoted it in this thread, especially if it was all about 'gambits' as 4maskwolf's apparently was. I either would have been upfront about it or not mentioned it at all.

Flabort: Why allude to PMs, and not be upfront about them? What's with the slow unravelling of information?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2015, 04:48:15 am »

Time to read the posts I've missed.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2015, 05:04:12 am »

UXLZ, which player is the biggest risk to you?

The player who singles me out in the first post of the game.
In all honesty though, I'd say it depends on what kind of 'risk' we're talking about. 'Risk' for my life? The guys who can night-kill. 'Risk' for my identity? The guys who can investigate. I don't think I'm at risk from a particular person at this point, at least, if I am then I don't know I am. Scary, huh?

Quote from: NQT
UXLZ, which kind of Spore Spreader is most dangerous?

The bloomer. It can force a lynch which may end in much pain and misery. Also, unless I'm misunderstanding the rules, the infestor doesn't really have any impact on the game itself.

Quote from: Shakerage
UXLZ:  What question should I ask you?

The question that you want the answer to.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 106