Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Temples!  (Read 16205 times)

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
Re: Temples!
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2015, 05:41:48 pm »

I feel like religion shouldn't become active until population reaches a certain level or the fortress has been going on for a few years.  It just seems like it could make it incredibly confusing to start out to an already incredibly confused player.

Yes, Unless its in a Monastery Scenario or if you've edited it out in Advanced World Gen.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2015, 06:55:01 pm »

I feel like religion shouldn't become active until population reaches a certain level or the fortress has been going on for a few years.  It just seems like it could make it incredibly confusing to start out to an already incredibly confused player.
Building a temple should just act as a happiness bonus. Not something necessary, but still something most people will want later in the game.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2015, 07:18:26 pm »

Considering how temples will be apparently very simple in the next version, it looks like you'll be able to designate just a bit of random place to be a temple and dwarves will go to it and pray inside it and gain happy thoughts. No need to actually build something, just designate whatever.

Hell I'm sure a refuse stockpile would work. (Would probably be a bad idea if there is miasma/sentient corpses in it, but it would work, and even maybe fitting for a temple to a death god)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2015, 10:00:37 pm »

If I get a death God in a pantheon I am so going to make the temple for it be connected to the catacombs. Maybe even coffins in the main room.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2015, 10:40:13 pm »

I shall make a monastery dedicated to booze.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2015, 05:55:47 am »

If curses for desecrating temples become a thing there should be whole classes of awful or pointless curses.

You dare desecrate my temple?  Now your right foot is made of cheese!

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2015, 07:56:37 am »

If curses for desecrating temples become a thing there should be whole classes of awful or pointless curses.

You dare desecrate my temple?  Now your right foot is made of cheese!
That's a blessing if you're a dwarf.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2015, 08:02:26 am »

I know I will build fitting temples to gods in the next version.

Fire god temples (different from volcano god temples) and victory god temples will be a bit hard, though. How do you actually make a temple dedicated to the concept of victory in Dwarf Fortress, of all games ? I can skewer goblins on pikes but this looks more like a war god temple than a victory god temple.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2015, 09:47:46 am »

Goblinite statues and an offering of troll fur clothing. You need to wash the clothes first, of course. Otherwise they'll seem more like an offering to Armok.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:49:23 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2015, 11:36:49 am »

Well a volcano God could be suspended over a volcano...with waterfalls of magma being pumped up to the roof so it falls besides the intrance...
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2015, 01:25:21 pm »

How do you actually make a temple dedicated to the concept of victory

This would be the traditional style:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Athena_Nike

There are also some other ideas out there: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chhatarpur_Temple

http://www.katyayanipeeth.org.in/The_Temple.html

http://www.shreekatyayani.org/gallery/?album=all&gallery=4

But I might personally go with something inspired by Albert Speer's design (which in turn was a case of one-upmanship over the French design... Which in turn was not its self original):

http://arno.breker.free.fr/arc_de_triomphe01w.htm

Nico2167

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE Bogeymen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2015, 04:48:49 pm »

How do you actually make a temple dedicated to the concept of victory in Dwarf Fortress, of all games ?

Statues of fights/sieges in which your dwarves have been victorious and crafts/totems/whatevers made of megabeast bones
Beware that looking into cross breed babies tend to be hella glitchy and crash the game if you save and reload the game as DF doesn't know how to reproduce what ever the god living hell you made.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:43 pm »

Yes, this exact attitude is why we can't have nice things.

"You... you're now a were... a were... oh hell, chinchilla, something, I don't care!  And you, there in the back!  You're an iguana!  I see you too Melbil... you're now a WERE-THRIPS!"
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2015, 07:35:26 pm »

Desecrate my temple, and you'll be turned into a were-plump helmet man. Have fun in the dining hall.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2015, 07:37:57 pm »

Well, yes, Athena Nike was Athena victorious, but yeah. They're temples. And you can't see how they are temples dedicated to the concept of victory.

I honestly think a victory temple should be simply an old fortress. After all, you have vanquished many goblins and the fortress has not fallen...

Old battlefields as temples should work as well, but I prefer my old battlefields to be temples to war and valor, instead of victory. (They could be all three though. )

After all, a battlefield sees one winning side and one losing side, so why should it be a temple to victory ? It could be a temple to defeat as well. Or both-

Naryar cancels post : interrupted by logic bomb

The logic bomb strikes the Naryar in the head, brusing the muscle, caving the skull through the brain and denting the brain !

I see you too Melbil... you're now a WERE-THRIPS!"

Worst werebeast ever.

Are they crazed for plant matter instead of blood and flesh and therefore attack your plant stockpiles ? And then your plump helmets turn into werethrips one lunar month later?

...Admittedly that's pretty damn cool. Self-replicating werebeast plant-eater nanobots.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:40:54 pm by Naryar »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7