Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Temples!  (Read 16206 times)

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
Re: Temples!
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2015, 05:14:45 pm »

On Top of the Tantrum Spiral, Oh Joy.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2015, 08:47:55 am »

An interesting bit is that this is going to ensure that the religiously zealous, and specifically those zealous towards a single deity, interact with each other far more than with other dwarves. Friendships, maybe marriages, and so forth will form within that clique with increasing levels of frequency as it grows.

This could be balanced out by the increased propensity to form grudges within the same clique.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2015, 09:39:10 am »

Unless the Religion spheres contradict grudges, For Example

Dwarf A Worships Tricorne, God Of Mercy

Dwarf B Worships Meylessa, Goddess Of Pain and Torture

Needless to say, Dwarf A would be far less likely than Dwarf B to form grudges, Especially against their own religion.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:13 am »

are you kidding?  With a requirement to constantly show mercy, the cult of Tricorne would be nothing but a steaming pile of pent-up frustration and angst.  They would have no outlets for their negative feelings, and would have nothing BUT grudges.

The cult of Meylessa, on the other hand, would be full of happy-go-lucky sadomasochists.

MUCH worse for Dwarf A.  On the plus side, Dwarf A would be the IDEAL candidate for hammerer.

I'm thinking it might be interesting to have temples decorated with engravings and statues designed by members of their own religion.  More likely to get imagery depicting things their gods have done in the past.  Also, a good reason to check legends to make sure that one or some of your civilizations gods have dished out a few curses or sponsored a demon or two before embarking on a major temple construction project.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2015, 10:23:38 am »

Yeah, Probably just switch the letters and it works  :P
That's a really good idea, and I'm looking forward to the day where Deities can commit miracles besides freeing demons and cursing mortals.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2015, 12:41:45 pm »

All that being said, faith could also help dwarves deal with trauma and stress.  For example "my best friend is dead, but now he's in dwarven heaven, where the rivers are made of rum and the ground made of cheese...".   Priests could also provide advice and counceling and help make some dwarves happier
hamster cheese supplies are low

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2015, 01:15:30 pm »

Yes and some high rank priests would be able to summon divine intervention and so on.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2015, 01:49:01 pm »

If you could get cursed by desecrating a temple?  I think this is how curses worked when they were first introduced -- historical figures might randomly desecrate a temple and get smacked with lycanthropy or something.  Not sure if it still works this way?

I can imagine a sacrificial cast of migrants being burrowed in the temple zone with lots of breakable things, and deprived of basic needs until they tantrumed and in so doing brought curses on themselves.

But then they'd be emotional wrecks who would be hard to find legitimate functions for... so you'd have to store them in some sort of vault... and then trap siegers in some sort of airlock until you could unleash your army of depressed weresnails and wereticks on them during the full moon.

Gah... why cant we just embalm mummies?  Having the entrance to the fort run through the tombs would be MUCH simpler.  Of course... Weremummies... that would be something.

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2015, 08:16:10 pm »

Werenecromummypirebadgers! Run For The Hills!

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2015, 09:35:04 pm »

If my dwarves start to take holy days (originally typoed as daggers. WTF, brain?) off, I'll attempt the "militant atheist fort" discussed earlier in this topic. The only all-powerful psychopath they're allowed to worship is me.

Then you might need this

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2015, 09:40:36 pm »

Sweet....someone go grab some black dye!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2015, 11:04:38 pm »

And Soap!

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 12:17:24 am »

What I mean by that, is that the personality profiles used for demons have them all being "every demon for himself" in behavior, with subjugation and subservience to more powerful demons/beings being the norm down there.  Given that they are immortal, cannot reproduce, but still somehow exist in limitless numbers, there MUST be some kind of social order down there.  The most likely being small fiefdoms ruled by a central power figure, with less powerful minions held in thrall.  I would expect to find such enclaves in the hell layer.

I think "there MUST be some kind of social order down there" is dubious.  There certainly could be, in some cases; but remember that DF is intended to procedurally generate all sorts of different fantasy realms.  We simply don't have enough data on life as a creature that is not merely freed from the constraints of biology, but has never experienced them. 

How much of not just human history, but of all life we know, is dominated by the need to eat, the drive to reproduce, and the fear of death?  How much has been driven by the great gears of evolution... does this behavior make you more likely to breed before you die, and for your offspring to breed after you? 

I seem to recall some interesting research on the biological benefits of altruism, family & clan relationships, etc.; much of it came down to indirectly helping genes *like* yours pass on.  A creature that was created by godly or magical fiat, with no need or opportunity to breed, no heritage before or after, no genes, no need to eat, sleep, breed, age... would they even understand the *concept* of a society, let alone form one? 

Of course, some fantasy (and actual historical religion) sub-genres have elaborate pantheons, hundreds of hells or layers, and so on.  DF should be capable of generating those, and more; one world might have something bureaucratic and vaguely Chinese, another D&D + Planescape inspired, yet another pure creatures of crawling chaos.  Social structure should be *possible*, and should be procedurally generated to be interesting; but it shouldn't be assumed to be "human-like" for such disparate creatures.
I would actually see it.  I think part of the thing is, right now, you were never really intended to actually be able to conquer hell, so there was no real reason to put much depth in it.

But I do think if you -DO- manage it. You should be rewarded with a plane of earthy delights, sprawling lairs, abject chaos

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2015, 11:11:53 am »

I just like that now a dwarf's religion will impact fort mode.

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »

I feel like religion shouldn't become active until population reaches a certain level or the fortress has been going on for a few years.  It just seems like it could make it incredibly confusing to start out to an already incredibly confused player.
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7