Poll

-

-
- 1 (100%)
-
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 67

Author Topic: The Siege of Angazea [OOC Thread][Muh squarebrackets!]  (Read 61982 times)

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest check [Only War][Signups closed]
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:44 pm »

Even if we ambush them orks will cull us in melee. You don't fight orks in melee combat, ever. An ogryn has the bulk for it but the rest of us will have our arms ripped off and then be beat to death with them.

Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2015, 08:20:19 pm »

That would be the reason guns exist.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2015, 08:23:02 pm »

Negates the point of a melee oriented build if melee combat is suicidal. Which unless most of us go ogryn it is.

We continue kd take cultists in melee but orks would cull us and chaos marines would die of laughter.
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2015, 08:28:14 pm »

That would be why I'm burning 5 points to get us better guns-- we won't always be in melee combat, I'm just aiming to make the regiment capable of waging it should the situation arise... sort of fulfilling an image I have in mind.

Orks could be dealt with with the guns in the chimera.

Besides, every single build is going to have a weakness, not just the melee ones-- ranged builds are prone to getting outperformed by the Tau, whereas Dark Eldar will take stealth builds and eat them alive.

(Anyway, Recon barely has guns in the first place, so having melee capability is likely quite important)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:33:23 pm by Powder Miner »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2015, 08:32:56 pm »

As far as I'm aware OW only includes stats for Chaos and Orks. But you will never make melee combat viable for IG. The only factions that are as bad at it as IG are the Eldar or Tau and even then you don't wanna pit IG against Banshees or kroot.
Caine's law.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:59 pm »

I'm not quite sure you quite understand: I'm noooooooooot trying to promote CHARGE INTO THINGS RARARAARAR

I'm giving a bit of flair and ability not to get flattened when actually rushed/outside of the scout vehicle.
Recon guys don't start with lascarbines, so I'm spending a few points on promoting the laspistol TO the lascarbine, and if things get close combat we're not going to get completely ripped in half because it's Feudal World + 2 points for Battle Hardened
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:41:43 pm by Powder Miner »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2015, 08:41:31 pm »

I understand what your trying to do, I just don't see it working. You could put every single point into melee combat and they'd still be pathetic at it.
Caine's law.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2015, 08:43:33 pm »

I don't agree. We're playing Only War, not actual WH40K, making things necessarily much smaller in scale.
Having melee combat is useful when you're not trying to have entire lines charge at each other but you ARE having small skirmishes.

('sides, about as many points are going into giving us some nice shooting ability as are going into shankings.)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:45:33 pm by Powder Miner »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2015, 08:47:39 pm »

The scale won't change much if anything tougher then a cultist gets close enough to hit us with an axe. Unless we outnumber them by a fair margin somebody is probably going to die and the odds of us outnumbering Orks aren't particularly good.
Chaos marines we very likely would but then they're Chaos marines. We run into one of them and the only thing numbers mean is better odds that somebody else will be slower running away then you are.
Caine's law.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2015, 08:51:03 pm »

Every regiment option presented is to be analyzed seriously and probably voted so we decide on which one is chosen. Arguing about the weaknesses of something you have not even seen and restraining a valid display of creativity isn't exactly the point of the regiment creation process.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2015, 08:52:27 pm »

I'm not really trying to argue, more just trying to point out a flaw as I see it. I've seen people try to make IG competent in melee a few times but it never works. IG just aren't meant to engage in melee combat.

* Shrugs * No matter I'll keep my thoughts to myself and go back to my books.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:56:34 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2015, 09:00:25 pm »

Patrick, I'm rethinking it a bit to give an amount of ranged support anyway-- I think it'll mollify you somewhat.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2015, 09:03:50 pm »

Hey I'm not against the idea, just playing devils advocate. One of the reasons I picked a Stormie in the end was it's versatile, if they come close enough to hit me with an axe I've got the armor to survive the hit and the gun to rip them in half for trying.

But yeah if you want people to survive melee combat you need to give them a lot of fire support and then pray you never have to test it.

All the ideas I've seen so far have been pretty interesting.
Caine's law.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2015, 09:10:47 pm »

Someone should try playing a pacifistic Guard Regiment.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2015, 09:11:18 pm »

I don't even know how to respond to that.
Caine's law.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 67