Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 509031 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2505 on: August 09, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »

I think it's futile to balance for all unit sizes and expecting it to be the same

There are definitely ways it could have been done better to say the least.

Then again the game has a lot of... odd quirks.

Alas I am strapped for cash so I'll be getting Warhammer Total War 2 much later... probably during some sort of imaginary amazing sale that won't happen.
Yeah, no doubt they probably could. But I doubt it was anywhere near a priority. I think at one point the devs even said the game is balanced around large unit sizes. Might be my imagination though.

I think it'll probably go on sale within half a year though. TWW 1 went on sale on the Humble Bundle for $12 that one time, half a year after release or something like that. Took a lot longer for the DLC to go on sale.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 10, 2017, 12:28:40 am »

I never play on anything but the largest unit size (applies to all Total Wars), so I don't really know how it plays on other sizes. Likewise, I don't bother with MP due to cheesers (whole army of mounted archers, forcing draw if not being able to win etc).

However, my impression is that monsters and magic are very much better with small units sizes. It would explain why I've been unimpressed by monsters and spells. Problem is not HP but the amount of models affected by the attacks. If a fireball hits five guys, that is a bigger deal with small unit size than with a huge unit size. Same thing with a monster killing three guys with its stomp. Basically, larger unit size should widen the area of effect for spells and monsters. Artillery get more guns with larger size so that requires no tweaking in the same way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:28:28 am by Majestic7 »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 10, 2017, 12:33:43 am »

Does unit size increase the HP of a unit? Or does it just spread it out more?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: August 10, 2017, 01:19:20 am »

It increases. I don't think the stats per soldier change but there's more of them so their overall HP increases. I play on large unit sizes because I don't want to get too far from what I assume is the sizes the game is balanced around. It also makes things a bit easier for my PC.

They have been changing the way spells work over the last few patches. Detonation mechanics, unit weights and so forth. The problems I've seen people mention with some spells, vortexes in particular, was some of them tossed enemies about a lot and units in the air didn't take damage. Wind of Death is an increadible spell vs masses of infantry, it tears through dwarfs. Curse of the Bad Moon and the Flaming Skull do less, partly because of their random movement, but they also have debuffs they apply to units they hit.

I do think there will always be a disparity between spells. Gaze of Mork and other multi-shot missiles are best used against large, single targets rather than units but even then, because the missiles spiral, not all of them will always hit. Firing them from an angle is better as well. I think a mage being on a flying mount, casting missiles downwards, would be best since all the missiles would hit the ground, rather than wiffing over the heads of a unit. Though, spells like fireball are also good on a flat plane because the fireball travels through small units until it either hits the ground or a large target.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 10, 2017, 01:23:22 am »

It's kind of difficult to enfilate with wind of death though. It requires, I guess a flier.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: August 10, 2017, 05:19:09 am »

I have had problems casting it. You have to make sure the caster has stopped moving when you ask them to cast it, as the angle is based on where they are when the spell appears, not where they are when you click. Not that I mind really, stupid miscasts happen at the most inopportune moments. A flier certainly makes it easier, though for mages that I want mobile they get at least a horse.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 10, 2017, 09:04:42 am »

Oh. Cool.
* Tack is calling in sick to work today

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 10, 2017, 10:06:23 am »

Also, remember that you need to use Total War Access to aquire the new regiments of renown.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 10, 2017, 10:08:30 am »

Yeah. I won't be able to get the DLC just yet, but at least I'll still have the new norse in game.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: August 10, 2017, 03:07:32 pm »

Mammoths are frigging ridiculous. I'm not sure what anyone is supposed to do against these other than spam Anti-large. As in, spam so many anti-large that your entire army is just anti-large. RIP if you're Dwarves or Greenskins I guess. The problem is that it isn't just a massive HP sink, but it does absurd damage too. They keep getting highest kills in my battles. Even the aura war mammoth version. Easily 300+ kills each. How do you deal with such madness? A weapon to surpass Metal Gear.

I'm fairly certain my entire army exists to support the mammoths, while they win the game and the others are merely distractions and supplemental HP.

Also Skinwolves and ice trolls are also redonkulous.

Skinwolves only cost 900 but I could use them to almost 1v1 Demigryph halberds, which are 1500 I think. They would fight them until the Demigryphs were almost dead. Totally worth it trade. And their movespeed is so fast, they're basically light cav with heavy cav damage. So even when they rout, they can come back so frigging fast.

I don't know what it is about the aura but it seems like ice trolls barely take any damage.

So far I found Fimir to be... decent. Prefer trolls in almost all instances though. Not really sure what the advantages Fimir have but I guess we'll see in time. Armoured? Since the only armoured trolls are Chaos (which are really, really brutal). The Fimir have done alright in my battles though, but nothing outstanding.

Strong faction. Very, very strong faction. The only thing they don't have is artillery. Their ranged units ranges are low, but they hurt a lot so I think it's a good tradeoff. Their regular infantry also isn't the greatest but.... you could just use Fimir and Trolls instead.

----

My favorite part about the whole faction, they still do the whole "NORSCA!!!!" shout when you move them around.

----

Edit: They changed Surtha Ek's voice!!!! He doesn't say "beyond your comprehension" any more!!!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 10, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »

I keep looking at the Skinwolves and thinking "these animations are so being used for Rat-Ogres as well."

I like that Wulfrik has Seafang when he's sailing about, and the extra little details here and there in Norsca are nice. I wonder if they've added anything else new, I think there's new castle towers on a mountain near Artois. Surtha Ek and his chaosed out chariot, I wonder if we'll see mods that give him a unique skill tree and abilities?

On the Chinese tranlation thing; from comments I've seen it appears like there was a translation team working on it, though it was cancelled before Warhammer 1 was released and something about the localization team not being paid for their work. I think the mod was what they had been working on but because there's now an official Chinese translation it was removed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 10, 2017, 11:04:52 pm »

Wulfrik's starting units are so garbage honestly. I'm not sure why they gave him such a shitty unit comp to start. Sure, Skinwolves and the chariot are useful... but they're nowhere as useful as starting with Blood Knights, Chosen, a Giant or an Araknarok.

I think only Ungrim's is worse. Azhag's used to be terrible too but they buffed his start.

I also noticed that he cannot 1v1 even an Empire Lord. Do not attempt to do so early game before you get his skills and some gear. He will lose really badly. He reminds me of Legion Commander. He "honorably duels" enemies that don't stand a chance against him and runs away from any actual threats.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: August 11, 2017, 02:42:01 am »

Surtha Ek is now able to be comprehended.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 11, 2017, 02:49:33 am »

There's a few others changes people are mentioning that weren't included in patch notes, one of these is apparently the Empire smithy building now able to get to tier 3 in a village and not just a capital. I checked and it does go from level 2 to 3 settlement but I can't remember if it was like that beforehand.

Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 277