Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 509049 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2490 on: August 04, 2017, 12:25:21 am »

Empire and Chaos need revamp bad. The chances are there won't be any coming. The logic is sound; many players have already played those factions and buy new stuff to play new stuff. Can't help but fear the old leaders and factions will become ever blander in comparison when WH2 comes out.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 04, 2017, 01:53:32 am »

Empire and Chaos need revamp bad. The chances are there won't be any coming. The logic is sound; many players have already played those factions and buy new stuff to play new stuff. Can't help but fear the old leaders and factions will become ever blander in comparison when WH2 comes out.
Not sure about Empire but Chaos is definitely getting revamped in game 3. The entire game will be about them after all.

The Chaos we have right now is a stopgap version that they threw together for the DLC. Originally Chaos wasn't even going to be playable (though they'd be in the game, just not playable). It's why they're so wonky right now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 08, 2017, 08:55:58 am »

Change is coming. Warriors of Chaos and Empire are getting reworked, Wood Elves are finally getting followers, and all vanilla (and WoC) Legendary Lords are getting reworked skill trees. Sadly, the video doesn't go into too much detail. For instance, it doesn't mention that now only marauder-tier units are affected by Chaos horde infighting.

This goes into detail on the lords.

Further, Regiments of Renown now have cooldowns when killed or disbanded.

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 08, 2017, 10:11:41 am »

There's some nice changes in there. Master Necromancers getting decreases to upkeep and outside of Vampire Corruption attrition and an increase to replenishment. Heinrich Kemmler's skills based on buffing Krell eventually lead to Krell becoming a permanent summon during battles.

Grimgor gets Frenzy at the end of his new tree and Azhag gains regeneration. Thorgrim has a number of skill grudges that give increases to leadership and melee attack when facing certain factions while Ungrim has boosts to Deathblow or can have it activate at 50% health remaining (instead of 20%).

The change to Chaos infighting is nice. It was a real pain recruiting a new lord at the end of your turn and suffering attrition because you couldn't move either army apart. Warriors of Chaos also get decreases to upkeep when encamped and increases to replenishment from the research you pay Favour for.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 08, 2017, 11:01:53 am »

Huh, a maxed-out Sigvald will get Terror. I guess the enemy can't handle so much sex appeal in a single package.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 08, 2017, 12:08:13 pm »

Warriors of Chaos shouldn't be a horde faction. They should have been structured a bit like the Wood Elves. With their main base in the Northern Wastes and gaining more income and units from spreading corruption.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 08, 2017, 01:47:57 pm »

The whole manual clicking between stances sucks, though. You should be able to just toggle encampment stance and then your movement rate would be reduced accordingly, leaving you encamped automatically at the end of the movement. That and the annoying replenishment (corrupting destroyed/enemy regions gave no regeneration bonus at least back when I played the last time) make WoC campaign annoyingly micro.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 09, 2017, 08:22:50 am »

Path notes. Everyone likes those, right?

Highlights that we haven't discussed here yet:

Chaos:
-Vassals of Chaos now provide their master with a small amount of income
-Reworked post-battle occupation options – Chaos can now “Raze” or “Loot & Raze”, providing growth and replenishment or Chaos favour respectively

And uh... that's it. We saw the rest already.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 09, 2017, 10:37:09 am »

It seems like the update blog post is being updated with more information. Here's some stuff that was added since it was first posted;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some of this was mentioned in a video Creative Assembly uploaded a day or 2 ago such as the increase to bonus vs large for the Dwarf cannon and bolt thrower.

There was also a post done by one CA_Duck; "Also not my work, but direct damage spells have been rebalanced according to certain damage templates, particularly affecting Final Transmutation that was dealing half the damage it should be." The rest of his post was things that are now included in the blog post.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 09, 2017, 10:44:43 am »

About time on the RoR though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 09, 2017, 10:48:08 am »

Wait, frenzy by default on Archaon? That's huge.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 09, 2017, 11:41:03 am »

No word on scaling spell effects based on unit sizes and/or scaling single large monsters based on unit sizes?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 09, 2017, 02:34:03 pm »

They do scale single large monsters and heroes. Only the HP though. They... don't really need to change anything else about them I think. Seems a bit strange. I don't think AOE damage can be scaled and there's no point increasing the AP / regular damage of the monsters as they one hit everything except other monsters and heroes anyway. So if you buff their damage, all you get is them.... one hitting the same things?

They only mentioned they're reworking magic, but unsure if it's coming this patch or in game 2. I honestly doubt they'll change too much.

I'm not as particularly worried about it now as I was at launch. They've made the newer magic lores like Shadows and Life WAY WAY WAY better than the original ones. And mods fix all the original ones no biggie.

----

Besides, I think it's futile to balance for all unit sizes and expecting it to be the same. It can't. It's like expecting the tactics for a 10 man skirmish to be the same as a 2000 man battle. It's exactly the same in all the other Total War games too, especially in MP. If you saw your opponent was forcing a small or tiny unit setting, you knew to bring only elite units as everyone only had a tiny handful of men anyway.

Hell, I had some amusing games in Fall of the Samurai where the enemy forced tiny unit counts so I brought a gatling gun. Sure, I only get 1 gun instead of 4, but I killed their whole army of like... 100 men with it. Or you run into the guys in the same scenario, but they brought a cannon. Like... why would you do this? There's so few units. Your cannon won't even hit anything. Or an army of just cavalry, in which case it's amazing as the unit sizes are so small so infantry can't even properly form defensive lines against them. You can't really balance this, unless you ban these "super" units from the game.

It's the same here. You just have to change your tactics as unit sizes change.

--------

Incidentally, they added a Chinese localization. Interesting move. The Chinese translation mod was one of the top mods (I think..., I remember seeing it every once in awhile) in the Steam Workshop. I guess they noticed a lot of Chinese players want to play this game. Localization is always a good thing anyway.

Also apparently there was some kind of drama in the past over how Chinese players were misled that there would be a Chinese version?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 09, 2017, 05:21:32 pm »

I think it's futile to balance for all unit sizes and expecting it to be the same

There are definitely ways it could have been done better to say the least.

Then again the game has a lot of... odd quirks.

Alas I am strapped for cash so I'll be getting Warhammer Total War 2 much later... probably during some sort of imaginary amazing sale that won't happen.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:23:34 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 277