Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 509117 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2325 on: July 01, 2017, 09:47:09 am »

The reward this time is a text based game where you control an elf investigating a disturbance in the jungle. I've yet to find a way to survive against an unknown underground enemy.
You can't. I tried every possible thing, as well as checked online. You just can't. If you get spotted, you can just go straight back the way you came or do a full circuit. However, if you find the doomwheel (it is the westernmost room), you no longer can exit the tunnels. To get the "you completed this" message, you need to go to the easternmost room in the tunnels (shortest path from the entrance is: north, east, north, north, east).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: July 01, 2017, 12:35:20 pm »

You need a torch if you go that way though.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: July 03, 2017, 05:57:54 pm »

Don't forget unless you mod it, RoR units don't benefit from your tech or lord bonuses so you can very easily end up with regular troops being stronger than them. So I would say I would grab quarrelers or standard rangers before I grabbed Bugman's. That being said, I would totally get the axe throwing rangers before either of those. Those things are so scary.

I kinda treat most RoR units as just emergency troops anyway. There are only a few that are actually fearsome.

Like, for the Dwarfs, the only ones I actually take note of are the steam Irondrakes, the RoR Hammerers, and the super Gyrobomber. The rest are just... meh.

They're good for MP since they're cost effective there, but in campaign you usually end up with stronger regular infantry.
Okay, I've been checking this, and it is not, I repeat not true.

My Norgrimling's Ironbreakers and my normal Ironbreakers have the same armor boost from the armor-up, and I am only running the Trait Description mod for the purposes of "How'd THAT happen?"(On a related note, executing prisoners gets you bad traits. ???).

In addition, the Dragonback Slayers have 5 Armor from the Dorf infantry tech, despite being, well, Slayers.

So tech does, in fact, boost unique units.

Now that's done, a question: How play Chaos on the field? I'm thinking lots and lots of Chosen, basically just them, some Dragon Ogres for linebreaking, and a pair of Hellcannons as arty.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: July 03, 2017, 06:22:51 pm »

Hellcannons? Meh. I prefer at least two manticores, two shaggoths, and a plethora of chosen.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: July 03, 2017, 06:30:07 pm »

Hellcannons? Meh. I prefer at least two manticores, two shaggoths, and a plethora of chosen.
Going by what I've seen of them, they're a damned nightmare of a weapon.

Only time I've seen a unit get less than 200 kills was when I managed a quick early flank with 4 units of Bugman's Rangers.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: July 03, 2017, 06:32:07 pm »

Now that's done, a question: How play Chaos on the field? I'm thinking lots and lots of Chosen, basically just them, some Dragon Ogres for linebreaking, and a pair of Hellcannons as arty.
Hellcannons are tied with the Doomdiver for best artillery in the game. So you want that. Excepting trolls, you usually just want one type of monster to break lines. Manticore is a good pick if your enemy is not good against air (see next paragraph). Chosen are your core, but in multiplayer you won't have enough points to pick them and anything else, so you want to use Warriors of Chaos too. Marauder horsemen you may want depending on who you go against, since they are your only ranged option. Skip foot marauders hard. Just do it. Warhounds are actually great, especially since they can outrun horse archers.

When it comes to heroes, you probably want a death or shadow Sorcerer. I feel that the Exalted Hero just isn't worth it, though. The default Chaos Lord is fine, while the Sorcerer Lord is just too vulnerable to lord sniping. Absolutely never put your lords on flying mounts if you are going against either someone who is missile heavy (Wood Elves, some Empire and Dwarf comps) or has aerial superiority (Vampires). As for LLs: Archaon is your safe pick. He can get a horse, he has magic so you can free up a slot, and has a bunch of items. Kholek can absolutely wreck lines, but he is very vulnerable to ranged and anti-large. Sigvald suffers against monster and cavalry because he's stuck on foot forever and will keep being thrown around, but he has high leadership, meaning he can keep low-leadership troops like trolls in the fight more reliably. Sarthorael (mp/custom battle only) is pretty beefy AND can cast magic. But he has two problems: 1) He's huge. He is absolutely huge and that means siege has a better chance at hitting him. 2) He is stuck with Lore of Metal. Unless you're running mods like Cataph's magic rebalance, this is a bad, bad thing.

Speaking of mods, thanks to testing and some searching on the internet I found out that the arbitrary limit before it crashes is around 70 mods. So have fun, folks. (NOT an absolute number, though. I can somehow run 80 of them sometimes)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:36:13 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: July 03, 2017, 06:41:02 pm »

Hellcannons are tied with the Doomdiver for best artillery in the game. So you want that. Excepting trolls, you usually just want one type of monster to break lines. Manticore is a good pick if your enemy is not good against air (see next paragraph). Chosen are your core, but in multiplayer you won't have enough points to pick them and anything else, so you want to use Warriors of Chaos too. Marauder horsemen you may want depending on who you go against, since they are your only ranged option. Skip foot marauders hard. Just do it. Warhounds are actually great, especially since they can outrun horse archers.

When it comes to heroes, you probably want a death or shadow Sorcerer. I feel that the Exalted Hero just isn't worth it, though. The default Chaos Lord is fine, while the Sorcerer Lord is just too vulnerable to lord sniping. Absolutely never put your lords on flying mounts if you are going against either someone who is missile heavy (Wood Elves, some Empire and Dwarf comps) or has aerial superiority (Vampires). As for LLs: Archaon is your safe pick. He can get a horse, he has magic so you can free up a slot, and has a bunch of items. Kholek can absolutely wreck lines, but he is very vulnerable to ranged and anti-large. Sigvald suffers against monster and cavalry because he's stuck on foot forever and will keep being thrown around, but he has high leadership, meaning he can keep low-leadership troops like trolls in the fight more reliably. Sarthorael (mp/custom battle only) is pretty beefy AND can cast magic. But he has two problems: 1) He's huge. He is absolutely huge and that means siege has a better chance at hitting him. 2) He is stuck with Lore of Metal. Unless you're running mods like Cataph's magic rebalance, this is a bad, bad thing.

Speaking of mods, thanks to testing and some searching on the internet I found out that the arbitrary limit before it crashes is around 70 mods. So have fun, folks. (NOT an absolute number, though. I can somehow run 80 of them sometimes)
Going singleplayer, so cost's not really a huge factor. Hm. Magic's going to be !!FUN!! given I've been playing Dorfs.

Also, Mousillon's not supposed to take over Brettonia, right?

Cause they did. And a good chunk of the Empire.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: July 03, 2017, 06:48:14 pm »

Going singleplayer, so cost's not really a huge factor. Hm. Magic's going to be !!FUN!! given I've been playing Dorfs.

Also, Mousillon's not supposed to take over Brettonia, right?

Cause they did. And a good chunk of the Empire.
The Red Duck gets lucky sometimes. It is also likely that Bretonnia was softened up by Beastmen and Wood Elves.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: July 03, 2017, 06:57:26 pm »

Don't forget unless you mod it, RoR units don't benefit from your tech or lord bonuses so you can very easily end up with regular troops being stronger than them. So I would say I would grab quarrelers or standard rangers before I grabbed Bugman's. That being said, I would totally get the axe throwing rangers before either of those. Those things are so scary.

I kinda treat most RoR units as just emergency troops anyway. There are only a few that are actually fearsome.

Like, for the Dwarfs, the only ones I actually take note of are the steam Irondrakes, the RoR Hammerers, and the super Gyrobomber. The rest are just... meh.

They're good for MP since they're cost effective there, but in campaign you usually end up with stronger regular infantry.
Okay, I've been checking this, and it is not, I repeat not true.

My Norgrimling's Ironbreakers and my normal Ironbreakers have the same armor boost from the armor-up, and I am only running the Trait Description mod for the purposes of "How'd THAT happen?"(On a related note, executing prisoners gets you bad traits. ???).

In addition, the Dragonback Slayers have 5 Armor from the Dorf infantry tech, despite being, well, Slayers.

So tech does, in fact, boost unique units.

Turns out the not affected by tech and skills thing was a bug and if it's working then it's probably been fixed.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: July 04, 2017, 01:12:34 am »

So Chaos Campaign is going... kinda good kinda bad.

On one hand, Kislev's basically dead, my army's mostly Chosen and Chaos Knights, I've unlocked, if not researched, all the techs, and it's only time between me and Dragon Ogres.

On the other hand, it took 68 turns to Vassalize all of Norsca, Leon Leouncour took my allies like 20 turns to chase down(BTW a 19 stack of Marauders with a Death Sorcerer Lord beats 2 stacks of Brettonian infantry), and my secondary horde with Sigvald the Magnificent is only at T3 after so fucking long. Seriously young hordes without a free supply of easy Norscan meat are hard to raise. Doesn't even have Chaos Warriors yet. Worried that the Dwarves or Greenskins might come up and bury me in corpses by the time I've cut through the Empire.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: July 04, 2017, 02:33:08 am »

Sounds like the standard Chaos campaign. Takes forever. You've already completed the hard part (taking Norsca) so the rest is just slowly grinding down the old world.

Unless you mod the game, the growth increasing blue line skill is more or less mandatory for Chaos lords. Otherwise it takes eons to build stuff.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: July 04, 2017, 04:41:54 am »

In my last Chaos campaign, I ignored Norsca and just roamed all over the Empire and Bretonnia. I was wanting to prolong things so I didn't attack capitals and moved on after a bit so the factions could rebuild.

Awakening the Norscan tribes I've found to be a bit iffy. It's neat to see the different factions there but they often end up going to war with each other for me, causing me to choose sides (where I might not back the winner) or drop both.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: July 04, 2017, 05:52:25 am »

Sounds like the standard Chaos campaign. Takes forever. You've already completed the hard part (taking Norsca) so the rest is just slowly grinding down the old world.
Eh, not really. You can do it in about two to four hours (based on loading times) on pretty much any difficulty, unmodded.

Sort-of-powergaming strategy for the WoC campaign:

This is all with a single stack. Lightning strike is also critical for this. Archaon kinda sucks for this because he has no monsters or artillery to instantly assault cities. Skip Norsca, it's a waste of time and it allows for the AI to build up their forces. I usually just force-march past Kraka Drak (it's not worth it taking them on, since they are hard bastards to crack) and go straight south near Erengrad (sp?). Raze a few targets and head into the Empire. Don't bother taking capitals unless they are undefended or you've already pretty much completed your army comp. Also, leave the Vampires alone, they'll take advantage of your rampage to go for Karl's throat. If they don't, make sure you do since it's part of your wincon.

Once the Empire main faction is down, go straight for Bretonnia. One weird thing I noticed is that if you are far enough away (and Bretonnia apparently is far enough away), Sarthorael bugs out and, instead of making a straight line to kill you, he just starts attacking whatever imperials are left. Defeating big bird is not necessary to win, so let him pretend he is important. Once the Bretonnia faction is down, just go southwards taking out the Bretonnian dukedoms, Tilea, Estalia and maybe orcs until you hit the short wincon. If you are going for the long victory, forget the humans and head for Karaz-a-Karak instead.

Mind you, I actually have fun powergaming in this game, so your mileage may vary.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: July 04, 2017, 06:41:32 am »

When I did it on legendary back at release it was by babysitting norscans.
I also found a good inter-tribe war is a nice way to make them fluff up their stacks again if they start flagging.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: July 04, 2017, 12:35:34 pm »

Eh, not really.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 277