Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508799 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #2055 on: April 17, 2017, 08:14:29 pm »

There is no need to create a new thread anyway. it is the same game, they just slapped a 2 ontop to get more "initial sales".

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: April 18, 2017, 01:52:55 am »

I figured out the technique to defeating Fortress Athel Loren on V. Hard difficulty and above, without having to commit 4 fullstack armies and 100 turns.

The key is to just let them expand out and conquer the world. Once they've taken over say... Bretonnia, simply waltz into their now completely undefended forest and burn everything to the ground. Because practically all their money and military power comes from their 4 cities, once they lose those, their entire faction simply falls apart.

Also Beastmen are frigging amazing at dealing with elves. They're so fast they can actually catch up to the skirmishing elven shitlords. Harpies are just amazing at dealing with almost all the elven ranged units. Not to mention their numbers are so gigantic and their lords can easily stand up to everything the elves can throw at them. Those mutated wild boars also simply tear through elven infantry like butter while taking barely any damage to themselves.

Not sure if this is just a Steel Faith overhaul thing.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: April 18, 2017, 04:22:13 pm »

There is no need to create a new thread anyway. it is the same game, they just slapped a 2 ontop to get more "initial sales".
They could've used a better title for a standalone expansion that's for sure.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:18 pm »

Can confirm semi-chariot pigs do work.

When I invaded the elflands it was with 14 ironbreakers and the rest rangers and engineers.
Have gotten over 100 dmg on great weapon ranger units now, which is pretty insane against most heavy infantry.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: April 19, 2017, 07:29:35 pm »

WHAT.

ALSO:
Spoiler: HA (click to show/hide)
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: April 22, 2017, 11:41:44 pm »

This is technically Shogun 2, but I felt this had to be shared with you guys.

From the subreddit.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: April 23, 2017, 06:44:58 am »

Heh. Approval.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: April 24, 2017, 07:37:19 am »

How well has Warhammer Total War sold? I heard that it was the fast-selling TW game but I've also heard that it sold poorly.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: April 24, 2017, 07:48:39 am »

It sold about half a million copies in its first week, which is the best any total war game has done. According to steamspy and steam db there are just under 1.5 million people who own a copy of the game now.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: April 24, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »

So, as I was unaware this thread existed(yes I am derp), I asked if Total Warhammer is worth it in the 40k thread. Because I are a derp.

So far, I've been told that there's little political stuffs, lots of stabbing, and that it's chunked up.

Which means to me nothing really bad going on. Is it a fun game to play, for someone who hasn't poked around Total War but rather likes Warhammer?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: April 24, 2017, 01:17:54 pm »

So, as I was unaware this thread existed(yes I am derp), I asked if Total Warhammer is worth it in the 40k thread. Because I are a derp.

So far, I've been told that there's little political stuffs, lots of stabbing, and that it's chunked up.

Which means to me nothing really bad going on. Is it a fun game to play, for someone who hasn't poked around Total War but rather likes Warhammer?

Definitely. I'd suggest waiting till it goes on sale - I imagine there will be a big one when the expansion pack second in the series comes out. It's great fun, but the pricing structure as constantly mentioned is terrible. You definitely don't need more than the base game to enjoy it though.

Also, don't worry about not having played TW before; it's a lot more straightforward and easy to get to grips with than the previous ones in the series. That being said, I'd suggest you put it on Easy (or Normal if you're otherwise a strategy vet) as there's a lot of mechanics in TW that aren't always 100% straight forward which can lead you to not realise where you've messed up until 10-15 turns later.

Also make sure you're running it on a SSD!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: April 24, 2017, 01:24:39 pm »

Definitely. I'd suggest waiting till it goes on sale - I imagine there will be a big one when the expansion pack second in the series comes out. It's great fun, but the pricing structure as constantly mentioned is terrible. You definitely don't need more than the base game to enjoy it though.

Also, don't worry about not having played TW before; it's a lot more straightforward and easy to get to grips with than the previous ones in the series. That being said, I'd suggest you put it on Easy (or Normal if you're otherwise a strategy vet) as there's a lot of mechanics in TW that aren't always 100% straight forward which can lead you to not realise where you've messed up until 10-15 turns later.

Also make sure you're running it on a SSD!
Just running a standard vanilla hard drive. Will that cause issues?

And yeah, waiting for a sale, 60 bucks is quite a bit. Not too concerned about the DLC policy, seems to have a lot of free stuff, and the costy bits aren't huge changers.

What kind of mechanics are you talking about? Because while I play a fair few games about managing empires(MoO2 and SMAC are still high up on my playtimes), I'm not an expert by any means.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: April 24, 2017, 01:25:39 pm »

Loading into maps can be a bit punishing is all. I assume you've watched play from whatshisface, so you know what to expect.

Otherwise, most units seem to be similarly balanced to the tabletop Warhammer units,  only with generally more numbers.

Can't wait to ramp Unit size to ultra and bring a malfunction of deathwheels.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: April 24, 2017, 02:11:00 pm »

Just running a standard vanilla hard drive. Will that cause issues?

And yeah, waiting for a sale, 60 bucks is quite a bit. Not too concerned about the DLC policy, seems to have a lot of free stuff, and the costy bits aren't huge changers.

What kind of mechanics are you talking about? Because while I play a fair few games about managing empires(MoO2 and SMAC are still high up on my playtimes), I'm not an expert by any means.

Well for me it was nigh-unplayable when I had it on my normal HD. It's fine if you're auto-resolving everything and not having to reload much, but if you're new to the series you'll probably be in and out of battles/reloading a lot and so it can be a bit of a pain. Turn end times also take ages in TW compared to most TBS games, and it went from a good minute for the AI turn to about 10 seconds on my SSD.

I may have a slower end HD and a higher end SSD so your results may vary. I'd just be wary and think about investing in one (seriously, they're amazing and not that much for 128gb one).

Definitely don't need to worry about the DLC - there's 100% enough game without it.

In terms of mechanics, you should be fine it's just that it'll take a few tries to get used to how battles and turns work (see point one). Turns are more meaningful (less turn mashing like in something like GalCiv) and battles more easily swayed by what you do - it's part of the fun, but can take a while to get used to.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 277