Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508700 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1800 on: February 27, 2017, 11:58:37 am »

It's out.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: February 27, 2017, 12:08:32 pm »

Nope.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 27, 2017, 12:25:32 pm »

It's out.

Anyway, regarding VC's weakness to large units.

I think I talked about this before but yeah, it used to be one of their biggest problems.

I say used to because now they have a super powerful counter, one of the best in the entire game.

Blood Knights.

End of story. If you're not using Blood Knights as VC, you're doing something wrong. Hell, if you can recruit Terrorgheists, you can't tell me you can't recruit Blood Knights.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 27, 2017, 12:26:45 pm »

Nope.

EDIT: Unfortunately, Steam is doing the thing where it stops the download for no reason whenever I try to start it. It's not just for this game, others in the download queue are also doing this. Damn it volvo.

EDIT 2: For future reference, if anyone has this kind of problem, go to settings -> download -> clear download cache.

EDIT 3: Isabella's only tomorrow, by the by.

Y'know what, let's keep adding edits: GOLDFINGER HAS BEEN BUFFED! Praise Sigmar! Not in the patch notes for some reason.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 12:37:06 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 27, 2017, 12:39:07 pm »

Nope.

Dank pic.  Nobody is able to play as them right now, they buggered up the release.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: February 27, 2017, 12:44:19 pm »

Nope.

Dank pic.  Nobody is able to play as them right now, they buggered up the release.
Finished downloading and you're right, it's buggered up somewhat. Still says not installed for me.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:03 pm »

Double post but fuck it. CA finally fixed and explained the problem. Apparently they were handing out regular bretonnia keys instead of early access. Anyone who grabbed them beforehand is stuck with that key and must wait until tomorrow.

Unless you want to do something absolutely terrifying. Before I start, keep in mind I take no responsibility if you do it wrong. These are the instructions. I can confirm they work, but it was tense. Afterwards, just go back to the access thingy and grab the proper key.

EDIT: In a reference to turning the White Dwarf's name to Alejandro, Cataph's Southern Realm mod turns the Fay Enchantress' name to Morales right now.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:51:26 pm by Teneb »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: February 27, 2017, 05:39:24 pm »

EDIT: In a reference to turning the White Dwarf's name to Alejandro, Cataph's Southern Realm mod turns the Fay Enchantress' name to Morales right now.
I was wondering about that...

Edit: CA must have given Cataph an early version of the game as all his excellent mods have been updated for it already.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 27, 2017, 06:21:32 pm »

Edit: CA must have given Cataph an early version of the game as all his excellent mods have been updated for it already.
Yeah. He also made new ones buffing Alberic, changing the Lance of Bretonnia lord skill (it gave 3/6/9% charge bonus to the lord, he changed it to be for the army), and also a mod buffing Gelt and Kemmler.

CA apparently leaves a lot of out patch changelogs (according to them "because it takes too much time to write a changelog"). Ungrim got buffed, +30 vs Large and Deathblow was changed from bonus vs various targets to bonus vs single target, making him more slayer-y. Not sure if Kemmler got any official love. Firing up the VC campaign to check it out.

EDIT: If he got buffed, I have no clue.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 06:39:08 pm by Teneb »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 27, 2017, 06:40:33 pm »

It's kind of nice that CA seems to think greenskins are one of the best balanced factions right now. A little tweak to savages to represent cost/tankiness/power (and to differentiate them from normal orcs) and a fairly big boost to trolls, but other than that, not really a thing.

This seemed to happen in TT too. Lets just hope O+G don't get codex creeped into a low tier army like they did in the boardgame. It's funny how what's meant to be one of the "whacky" races ends up being very flexible, reliable and balanced so early on in the piece. No flying goon squad, no real cheese strats, and no one thing that "they're good at" (except maybe infantry and spell buffing them, or an actual combined-arms approach to strategy), but it all still works.

Bretonnia seems pretty terrifying in comparison due to them not having the balance passes done yet, and them being dimensioned up so differently to O+G. Still, at least in TW:W there CAN be balance passes, unlike in tabletop.

((I'm probably underestimating just how big of a difference +10% physical resist is. Savages will probably win quite handily against lots of stuff that they didn't before now, and stick around quite a bit longer even when they don't. The waaaghing-man's ethereal, and free! The -50 cost on spiders isn't really anything. They'll never be marauder horsemen with axes for character sniping, so I'm not sure of why the tiny change was made. Cheaper is better, but marauders got the discount too (while still having ridiculous AP shooting damage in comparison). Probably just so it looks like there was some changes made to O+G in this pass, because saying "Trolls and savage orcs got a bit tankier" doesn't sound like much.))
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:48:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 27, 2017, 06:54:23 pm »

Yeah. He also made new ones buffing Alberic, changing the Lance of Bretonnia lord skill (it gave 3/6/9% charge bonus to the lord, he changed it to be for the army), and also a mod buffing Gelt and Kemmler.

CA apparently leaves a lot of out patch changelogs (according to them "because it takes too much time to write a changelog"). Ungrim got buffed, +30 vs Large and Deathblow was changed from bonus vs various targets to bonus vs single target, making him more slayer-y. Not sure if Kemmler got any official love. Firing up the VC campaign to check it out.

EDIT: If he got buffed, I have no clue.
I really like Cataph's balance things. He seems to have a much better understanding of how to balance the game than CA does haha.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 27, 2017, 08:47:01 pm »

I really like goblin spider archers, personally.
Their mobility is top-notch.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 27, 2017, 08:50:16 pm »

Don't get me wrong. They're good. They have poison debuffing rather than character sniping as a role on top of general vanguard/fast-cav uses. Just the change didn't make them that much different. A few saved points and a touch of AP wasn't really an alteration to fix an ineffective unit, it was just patch filler. In my view at least.

I guess it's thematically appropriate for the "savage" side of the list to all get a +tweak. Spiders probably were a little too pricey, so I'm not exactly complaining. It might be just the cost reduction needed to squeak some savages or big'uns into a list where you couldn't before. Poison attack debuff + 10% extra physical resist might scale beautifully too (like how gobbo magic does mysteriously wonderful things, even if it doesn't seem THAT good on paper. It really, really is).

I could have written about the gobbo chariot's extra projectile being the REAL patch filler, but I didn't. Until now. It might look prettier, I guess?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:49:44 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 27, 2017, 09:12:02 pm »

I tend to use wolf riders over spider riders. Mostly because the wolf riders are faster though thinking on it my Greenskin armies don't have much cavalry in them as I prefer using vanguard deployed units of night goblins for flanking and the night goblin archers to keep skirmish cavalry off my units.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:34 pm »

It makes me wonder just how much worse the Arachnarok's spiderlings got. Because they really were quite good. We'll have to see.

@Mecha#4. Spider riders are really good for the "chase down" bit of a battle. They can even sit around until that bit if needed. The movement debuff is probably just as strong as the -attack part of poison, and it lets other slowish orc cavalry and infantry have a shot at picking broken units apart as well. It's not the be-all-and-end-all, and having some wolves around is always worth it anyway, but spiders are really useful for O+G to have a unit or two of in most cases. It's sometimes hard to find a use for them, but when you do, that poison is like mini-gobbo magic that you can position wherever you want, regardless of winds. They might not even need a faster support unit to chase with either, which is their real advantage compared to infantry night goblins. Or it's just fun to annoy cavalry and flyers with. Just kind of sling some shots around or flank/rear charge cycle splat them into infantry. Not for the damage they do, but because it's annoying and deceptively powerful. Poison is surprisingly underrated, mainly because it's an extra combat modifier, and you stack 'em like hell wherever possible anyway. You've got to have a combat advantage already for it to be worth throwing a tissue-paper endurance unit into a combat though. It makes it faster, it should save some of your proper combat troops, but working out when it'll swing morale in their favour or yours from the casualties caused is an artform in itself. At worst they're a few extra units taken care of if you're winning (or at least a few extra entities gone from a unit or two when they rally if your infantry and spiders really can't chase them right then), or the ability to dick around a goon squad/cav unit group or other flyers for a bit, and at best they're portable on-call magic. Or they can magnanimously bother to appear from hiding half-way through a battle and save a unit of yours from pursuers, or execute one of the enemy's that's running away. They're worth a control key, each and every unit (so, like 2 keys max usually), no matter what you plan to do with them. A unit or two of spiders are nice. Hard to use well, but with potential effects all out of proportion to their combat value, endurance or even kill counts. Not even horrible vs VC, because it's a little extra damage mitigation and quicker crumbling sometimes. Or just to splat them against two/three blocks of zombies/skellies/GG/whatever to hold them up for a moment (putting spiders to a max-width setup to splat against multiple units from behind is a viable use for them). Oh, and the occasional "hidden necromancer" safety setup from VC is funny as hell if the spiders just happen to full-move-speed by him and notice him from their own hidden placements in the backfield.

Wolves are annoying because you can't really play tag with them easily, and they're so cheap and inconsequential that it probably isn't worth it. Spiders are annoying because they can play tag with you if they manage to poison your units, and it's still not worth it to go out of your way to stop them tagging something. If you do, you lose meat on your front line or fast/flying/ranged units as deciders, which is exactly what we orcs want. But spiders have a threat value due to poison effects, wolves kind of don't other than their speed (which reduces people's wish to threaten them). People often try and engage spiders, simply because they can. All out of proportion to what they're worth, and well before they'd be useful in a battle anyway. Which is usually a win for you. Not to say you shouldn't try and win the cav war, but sometimes even when you don't, it's still a win for you, simply because "spiders are slow fast-cav" and thus were engaged as such. For a far longer time than was appropriate compared to what's happening in "the real battles".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:36:36 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 277