Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508841 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1650 on: December 08, 2016, 05:07:11 pm »

I'd be very frigging amused if Chaos had this. Can you imagine how hilariously OP it would be? Trying to take down Chosen only for them to heal up.
Chaos is supposed to have Shadows (though no Life). Unfortunately, they only added the Lore of Shadows to the VCs. Beastmen also didn't get Shadows, despite having them in the TT.
VC get shadows? Which unit gets it?

Edit: Ooh, I see, they get a regular vampire which has it. That's pretty interesting, as they've nerfed Death so much I don't even bother with it any more.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: December 08, 2016, 05:40:41 pm »

I found Amber economy to be my biggest gripe.
Past lvl 2 building tree you need outside sources of Amber to get anything done.
Which can be pretty ruthless to try and get.

As soon as I started the game everybody declared against me just like that

Having similar issues with the mini-campaign.
I think the rule of thumb is: Elves are dicks. Declare war on them before they can do it to you.
The gigantic garrison sizes in their villages don't help though, especially when you're playing on HV/Legendary with the massive cash boost.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:32:40 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: December 09, 2016, 12:11:16 pm »

The new mini campaign seems much more difficult than the the Beastmen one. Some elves declared war on me right away while I was fighting the beastmen and I ended up losing a settlement because I couldn't be in two places at once. Then a huge army of Beastmen spawned. They had three and a half stacks at turn 39. I'm not sure how to beat that. Though I did have an extremely slow start due to losing a settlement early on.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:31 pm »

Apparently CA is getting spammed so much with "it's too difficult!" that they made a spoiler-full guide here: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/188532/realm-of-the-wood-elves-tips-and-tricks-from-the-devs-spoilers

Isha the Mother and Anath Raema Technologies are early in the tech tree for a reason . First one practically allows you to ignore the growth gating and the second one will allow you to fight those wandering beastmen with just your garrisons.

Quest battles grant 3 amber upon completing them. That’s 9 amber that no-one can ever take away from you, so maybe for the Wood Elves it’s a good idea to finish the quests ;).

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: December 09, 2016, 04:30:26 pm »

Even in full campaign?
I wish I'd known that!

Am definitely finding co-OP campaigns difficult with a lack of Amber sharing.
Also, is anyone else finding waywatchers to be thoroughly unimpressive?

Edit:
If anyone was wondering what The Red Duke has going for him, it's a single duellist ability

El Syf:
Type: Hex
Duration: 38s
Cannot target if: Unit is not lord or Hero
Effects:
-48% Speed
-22 Physical Resistance
-60 Melee Defense

The so-called "Northern Sword" fears no duel; anyone who dares confront him will surely meet their death!

Considering he beats Vlad in attack & damage stats, that's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:15:18 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 13, 2016, 03:59:10 pm »

The game and all its DLC is currently on sale at Bundlestars.

Small sale for the DLC, but meh.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: December 13, 2016, 09:12:11 pm »

There's a thread up with a rief outline of some planned changes in an upcoming hotfix. The Beta is available to opt in if you wish to play with the changes early.

One of the bigger changes is +20 range to all Wood Elf units.
Also:
- Asrai Lookouts (Outposts) will now generate 50 income per turn.
- Adjusted the penalties when running at an Amber deficit:
> 0 to -10 Amber: Reduced rate of replenishment.
> -11 to -20 Amber: No replenishment, but do not suffer from attrition.
> -21 to -99 Amber: No replenishment and suffer attrition (no change from before).

I have to remark, in my game I haven't run at more than -1 or -2 amber deficit for a turn. Though if it is a reduced rate of replenishment building forest spirit units and making up the replenishment difference with lord abilities will be interesting to try.

Overall I have been having fun with the Wood Elves. I have been playing on normal (since higher difficulties gives stat bonues to the A.I. units). My campaign has so far involved sticking to Athel Loren and taking some nearby provinces. Come the chaos invasion I only started attacking them when they got close to Altdorf, using my large treasury from razing a few settlements to recolonize all the razed territory.
I've found Hawk Riders to be very useful at dealing with Hellcannons. Two units take them out nicely and can also deal with, or distract, enemy skirmish cavalry. Shield of Thorns is a very nice spell to buff your army with before combat and the net/root ability Orion has is great for dealing with enemy lords (something I've found the Wood Elves have a bit of difficulty dealing with, especially in melee).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: December 14, 2016, 03:44:18 am »

When I first started playing wood elves I had a fair bit of difficulty with them, especially with Amber economy, as all it takes is to lose an ally and you could find yourself far in the hole. (And considering you start off with Angrund who simply can't make it without confederating, it's going to happen.)

However now I'd like to say I'm pretty good at using them now, so the buffs seem a little unnecessary, and frankly the tiny bit of extra range is going to destroy me playing as other factions trying to fight them.
They love their skirmish mode on glade guard.

Was amused by:
Waywatcher is costed too high/underpowered.
We’d agree, and in the hotfix we have reduced the unit by 100 gold to a new price of: 1100. The unit has also been given: +20 missile range and +4 Armour Piercing Missile Damage.

Wood Elf archers are the worst in the game, when they should be the best!
Quarrellers, for example, will outshoot them toe to toe, but if you are toe to toe with Quarrellers something has gone very wrong already.
Having said all that, changes include:
+20m Range (All archer units and characters)
+4 Missile Damage (Glade Guard/Glade Guard [Hagbane Tips]/Deepwood Scouts)

Me going "holy crap Waywatchers now have 200 range? Hallelujah they're worth the 300 upkeep now"
Turns out they got those buffs instead... so basically the exact same buffs as every other archer unit.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 04:22:58 am by Tack »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: December 14, 2016, 07:57:04 pm »

So there's now this thing called Total War Access. While apparently it has mostly to do with the KINGDOMS game, signing up also nets you two little short stories about Warhammer itself for free. Just an FYI.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 14, 2016, 08:06:28 pm »

The hotfix is actually out already, I don't think any changes were made before release.

Yes, as Teneb mentioned: There's also a holiday thing going on with the 12 days of Festag. It's nothing major but if you want a few backgrounds, avatars, gifs and short stories they're available if you sign in with your Total War forum account. They recently changed the account/website system so some of the stuff is stored on an account dashboard.

One topic I was reading brought me to thinking about the dwarfs and their magical resistance. The dwarf units have 25% magical resistance, I believe to represent their tabletop ability of being able to dispel magic more easily than other factions. I don't think in the tabletop they have any real extra defense against magical damage, just this greater dispel chance. Thus I was thinking that maybe the dwarfs would be better suited to have their lords lower the amount of magic points available to the enemy during a battle rather than the magical resistance. Say if the enemy had 30 magic points, fighting dwarfs could reduce this by 50%, like what hero mages do when deployed in enemy zones.

Part of this was because some people were noting that since the Wood Elves have a good number of units with magical attacks, against dwarfs this was stymied somewhat, particually with the ranged magic attacks (Starfire arrows is it?)
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: December 14, 2016, 08:27:46 pm »

Well I know runelords can eventually stat into some pretty heavy magic damping.
But yeah I only just realized that things like doomcannons and most heroes will be doing less damage to dwarves.

Although most woodland spirit units and feral orcs have a bunch of physical resist, so I guess that's 'Balance'.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: December 14, 2016, 08:57:49 pm »

I think that was part of it, that a lot of the woodland spirit units deal magical damage. Though yes, with the physical resistance it would balance out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: December 14, 2016, 09:12:25 pm »

It also creates an interesting dynamic of elves vs dwarfs. And finally all the flame damage dwarfs have, like irondrakes, will have more utility.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:05 pm »

Well I know runelords can eventually stat into some pretty heavy magic damping.
But yeah I only just realized that things like doomcannons and most heroes will be doing less damage to dwarves.

Although most woodland spirit units and feral orcs have a bunch of physical resist, so I guess that's 'Balance'.
Doomcannons really, REALLY own Dwarves though. Like, super bad.

Especially on ultra unit size, Doomcannons rack up hundreds of kills against Dwarves.

But yeah, apparently Wood Elves do really poorly against the Dawi because of the magic resistance.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: December 15, 2016, 01:07:23 am »

Hellcannons are scary. They don't just deal damage they kill large sections of units with a single hit. I've had good success with using Hawk Riders to flank and shoot down their crew since, while they can shoot the hawks, they only hit one at a time usually. It's a bit annoying that they're unbreakable so you have to charge them down after the rest of the chaos army has fled.

I think another thing with the magic resistance was a lot of the higher tier wood elf units deal magical damage so to be more effective against dwarfs you need lower tier units. I haven't had too much trouble against dwarfs personally. They're very slow and quarrelers, while nasty, can be tied up with Wild Riders or flanking wardancers or the like. I tend to make armies with about 6 units of Glade Guard as my front line with 3 units of Eternal Guard for cavalry deterrence, charging some of the glade guard into melee while others flank to fire at the rear of enemy units.

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 277