Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507538 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1125 on: July 07, 2016, 01:48:13 pm »

I think in my VH Chaos run, I was Sigvald. For the first 30 turns or so I was just raiding the same bloody villages over and over again. I think I only started going outside the starting area when I was level 20.

I think Sigvald has the best start among all the Chaos lords. He starts with a frigging Hellcannon. Nothing else compares. Because it means all the enemies have to come to you and the Hellcannon is easily one of the best artillery in the game.

Also his gear regenerates him at a really fast rate, so you don't have to spend so much time healing your lord unlike Kholek or Archaeon. Kholek is the worst for this as he takes so much damage due to his gigantic body.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 11, 2016, 03:42:57 pm »

So this got posted in the Total War twitter. Looks like it's furries beastmen, lads.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 11, 2016, 04:37:46 pm »

I think in my VH Chaos run, I was Sigvald. For the first 30 turns or so I was just raiding the same bloody villages over and over again. I think I only started going outside the starting area when I was level 20.

Why so long? After I awakened and subjugated Bear tribe, I pretty much went straight to Kislev.

Never made a 2nd stack, won around turn 130. It was my first attempt and I think I could have gone faster, even. Wasted a lot of time on buildings that weren't very good (like trolls).

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 11, 2016, 04:48:53 pm »

Why so long? After I awakened and subjugated Bear tribe, I pretty much went straight to Kislev.
Dunno. I wasn't really taking it very seriously and I kinda liked doing it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 11, 2016, 04:50:52 pm »

On the WoC, I found out that I really really like the hounds. Both regular and poison. They are just really good to tie up threatening units and hunting archers and artillery. In my current attempt, I'm keeping about three of them in each of my two stacks (Kholek and Sigvald, though it seems Sigvald may be about to die since he is being chased by a doomstack led by Karl Franz).

EDIT: anyway, about the tweet and based on when the Blood Knights came out, I think that CA is pairing up the free DLCs with the paid ones. So we may be looking at a huntsmaster hero for the empire. The letter there also mentions a crowfather, which is part of Malagor's name... so I guess he's one of the LLs.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 04:53:08 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 11, 2016, 05:33:59 pm »

So I've resorted back to my old Total War:Rome cheapass tactic of hiding in the corner of the map so I have less weakpoints vs cavalry. Works great for dwarves but I'm just upset that they don't have a good counter to cavalry and I have to resort to the abuse of game mechanics (because fighting in mountainous regions doesn't create more than a small hill to hide on). I try defending with shield guys and then countering with great weapon guys, but that requires me to completely circle my quarrelers with troops to counter 2-3 cavalry units.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 11, 2016, 06:19:43 pm »

So I've resorted back to my old Total War:Rome cheapass tactic of hiding in the corner of the map so I have less weakpoints vs cavalry. Works great for dwarves but I'm just upset that they don't have a good counter to cavalry and I have to resort to the abuse of game mechanics (because fighting in mountainous regions doesn't create more than a small hill to hide on). I try defending with shield guys and then countering with great weapon guys, but that requires me to completely circle my quarrelers with troops to counter 2-3 cavalry units.
What I tend to do if I'm on defense against cavalry is to set up my main infantry line and then take whichever side the cavalry is coming from and setting them diagonally.

Something like this:
Key: I = infantry ; A = archers/artillery

I I I I I I
   A A   I
            I

Cavalry tends to break pretty easy when in extended melees, so try to get another unit in their rear to prevent them from escaping and charging again. If you are playing dwarfs though, your archers can take some charges and walk it off (orc arrer boyz too, to a lesser extent).

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 11, 2016, 06:25:35 pm »

I don't get any of that. I get cavalry on both sides, and they actively avoid my melee units to rush the archers. They also don't stay in melee for me, they back off and then rush again from a different angle. These are wolf and boar riders if that means anything.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 11, 2016, 06:28:09 pm »

I don't get any of that. I get cavalry on both sides, and they actively avoid my melee units to rush the archers. They also don't stay in melee for me, they back off and then rush again from a different angle. These are wolf and boar riders if that means anything.
I don't think I've ever got an AI army, not counting reinforcements, that would split it's cavalry to hit from both sides in this game. You are playing dwarfs though, so you can actually make a block with your infantry and put ranged in the middle and you'll be fine against everything but monsters and vortexes.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 11, 2016, 07:37:52 pm »

I don't think I've ever got an AI army, not counting reinforcements, that would split it's cavalry to hit from both sides in this game. You are playing dwarfs though, so you can actually make a block with your infantry and put ranged in the middle and you'll be fine against everything but monsters and vortexes.
I've seen it. One side will be the big flank, the other will be a flank of just one unit. Or one will be cavalry, the other flying units. Something like that.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 11, 2016, 07:55:07 pm »

I'm super pumped for beastmen on thursday :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=warhammer+beastmen&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=911&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA7aHm2uzNAhWI7CYKHYGNDxIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=_

hope they make them look as awesome as the ones in the images. They remind me of a diablo-esque style race...will look so awesome :D

Definitely will be re-using Chaos mechanics, so they'll be almost certainly a horde style race. But if they make them look even close to what those images show, they will be far the most bada** looking units (currently) in the game.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 11, 2016, 07:56:35 pm »

I'm super pumped for beastmen on thursday :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=warhammer+beastmen&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=911&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA7aHm2uzNAhWI7CYKHYGNDxIQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=_

hope they make them look as awesome as the ones in the images. They remind me of a diablo-esque style race...will look so awesome :D

Definitely will be re-using Chaos mechanics, so they'll be almost certainly a horde style race. But if they make them look even close to what those images show, they will be far the most bada** looking units (currently) in the game.
And hopefuly they won't be shit like pretty much everyone who plays the TT say they are.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 11, 2016, 10:55:58 pm »

Pretty much. Infantry are things like ungors, gors and beastigors (chaff, mainline and elite), Centigors for cavalry (Centaurs), minotaurs are like trolls, razorgors are like flanking trolls, and harpies for flying.
Monsters are the likes of giants, chaos spawn, Cygor (ranged giant that throws rocks), Ghorgon (frenzied giant-like) and the Jabberslythe (flying, manticore-like with an ability to drive enemies insane).
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 277