Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507308 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #930 on: June 03, 2016, 06:56:27 pm »

In celebration I fought a few custom battles as the WoC. Use Kholek and some other dragon ogres to rout a force of Bretonnians and tested a dragon mounted Archaon (modded in) and 6 manticore riding Chaos Champions against a force of Greenskins, which the game generated as goblins with some giants. Turns out even on a dragon giants still kill Archaon in three hits. That seems rather off considering how they stack up in the tabletop game. I may just download that mod I saw that buffs dragons...
It's a bit strange but I noticed that a lot of heroes (EXCEPT FRANZ) become weaker on their mounts.

For example, Manfred on foot can easily solo entire armies when he's level 30 but when I have him on his undead pegasus or zombie dragon he's super squishy (though does way more damage).

Interestingly enough, some heroes actually get bonus health when mounted (a Wight King gets 50% more health on a barded undead steed).

It's a very strange system. I suspect they did it that way to balance out the massive amounts of mobility you get when you can fly. Also when you're mounted you're counted as a large unit and thus take huge damage from spears and other pokey weapons. Not to mention with a massive character model, you take way more attacks in general.

I really like having hero units being able to fly though. The mobility really is great, though you lose out on the one man fights everyone deal. Again... except Franz on Deathclaw. The Chaos heroes on manticores have the added bonus of doing poison damage on their attacks.

-----------------

Criptfeind: You can intercept them moving underground and if you manage to do it, they can't escape from the battle. But yeah, it's really good.

-----------------

I really love how gorgeous the game is. I can really understand why the devs said it takes them so much longer to design units for this game when you see this kind of end result:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Even the cities. Sure, they're almost all backdrop but have you seen the backdrops?! They're crazy! There's so much shit going on in the background. I originally thought it'd be immersion breaking if I couldn't fight in the city centers and all that and be only stuck at the walls but that has definitely not been the case. If in game I ever went "I wonder what I'm even defending?", all I had to do was turn around and just stare agape at the ridiculous backdrops. Then it'd be "yeah, you fuckers ain't taking this shit from me".

Even the basic units are so unnecessarily pretty. Have you seen the animations for the skeletons? They all jangle about like puppets. It's so freaky.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I especially love looking at guys like the Forsaken. The poor artists must have slaved for months working on their models.

I also love how they made so many variations for all the heroes and lords. You can have three Chaos sorcerers in the same army and they'd all look different and even have different voices! One guy would be wearing a hood and a mask and sounds snively. Another guy has horns coming out his head and sounds regal. You can instantly tell who is who. Their names even change depending on how you level them up or if anything happens just like how it worked in Medieval 2. I remember having a hero with the title of the Dawi-slayer because he hated dwarfs after killing hundreds of them. Or the Wight Kings with the titles of the Eternal or the Unending because you specced them out completely in defense.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 03, 2016, 07:18:28 pm »

The titles are neat, yeah. I got a necromancer who ended up being called The Orc-Slayer after a trip through the badlands for Manfred's quest.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 03, 2016, 08:10:47 pm »

[snip]
Naaaah. Not unless it's changed compared to the videos I've been watching, anyway. Whoever loses an underground fight is straight wiped -- if you catch them underground and win the fight, they don't disappear into the underground to reinforce, they disappear entirely and have to go get a new stack. Underground travel is indeed very powerful, but it's also probably the riskiest stance in the game, so far as I've noticed. Whoever's using it is gambling on being damn sure they can take anything that catches them.

... not sure how non-dwarf/orc factions go about catching armies moving underground, though. Not even entirely sure if they can, actually. Maybe on specific heroes/leaders if it's not just a low(er?) chance in general?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 03, 2016, 08:14:14 pm »

I've caught Orcs as Empire, and been caught by Chaos as Orcs. The non-underway users can still intercept, and seemingly with a fairly high likelihood.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 03, 2016, 08:17:52 pm »

I've caught Orcs as Empire, and been caught by Chaos as Orcs. The non-underway users can still intercept, and seemingly with a fairly high likelihood.
Does the intercepting army need to be on the way? Or just close enough (reinforcement range?)?
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 03, 2016, 08:44:51 pm »

I'm unsure. I wasn't paying attention for when I intercepted as Empire, and when I got intercepted by Chaos I was pretty much going directly beneath Archaon in order to rescue the Hold he was besieging.

Not enough data to draw a conclusion.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: June 03, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »

Does the intercepting army need to be on the way? Or just close enough (reinforcement range?)?
I believe it's the same AOE as you get in the ambush stance. That red circle. It's not guaranteed but it's a pretty high percentage.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 03, 2016, 08:53:11 pm »

I believe it's the same AOE as you get in the ambush stance. That red circle. It's not guaranteed but it's a pretty high percentage.
Oh. Reverse ambushing then. Sounds like a reasonable way to do it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 03, 2016, 10:58:13 pm »

I've found that the underground maps seem to have a bit of an issue with lighting. I think it's a lack of shadows or similar, along with the bluish fog, that makes things rather flat. Moving from that, I really like the Karak Kadrin battle map as the lighting there is done really nicely.

Some fun moments I've had in battles was a close fight between my dwarfs and a Vampire Counts army. My lord brought his axe to bear on the enemy vampire count and started winning when the vampire tried to escape. My lord then gave the order for the master engineer to take a headshot that levelled the vampire.

Another was a battle with my dwarfs and a small Bretonnian army vs 3 ~500 units (badly depleted) stacks of Chaos. Still threatening since they were lead by Kholek, Sigvald and Archaon. I set up on a hill with my cannons and the battle begins with Kholek eating a cannon ball, Sigvald getting beaten in a duel with my lord and Archaon breaking and fleeing then getting gunned down by thunderers.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 03, 2016, 11:01:51 pm »

I've found it's quite a bit larger than your reonforcement range- maybe even movement range.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: June 04, 2016, 10:41:05 am »

What happens if you confederate with a faction that isn't the same type as you are? Like the Empire confederating with the Bretonnians for example. Do the Bretonnian settlements keep making Bretonnian units or do they become Empire settlements?
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 04, 2016, 11:06:22 am »

You can't confederate with people who aren't of exactly the same faction type as you. Empire can only confederate with the provinces, including Marienburg, but that doesn't include Border Princes, Estalia, Tilea or Kislev. Similarly, the Greenskins can confederate most of the orc tribes, but not the Top Knotz, as they're a savage orc tribe.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 04, 2016, 11:16:30 am »

You can't confederate with people who aren't of exactly the same faction type as you. Empire can only confederate with the provinces, including Marienburg, but that doesn't include Border Princes, Estalia, Tilea or Kislev. Similarly, the Greenskins can confederate most of the orc tribes, but not the Top Knotz, as they're a savage orc tribe.

Makes sense I guess. Kind of a shame though, would rather like to see some mixed race armies.

Maybe someone could mod in a building that lets you train units based on other factions as 'mercenaries'.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: June 04, 2016, 06:41:10 pm »

Wondering what races are going to make it into the finished game. Brettonia is happening, Wood elves and Kislev is almost a sure thing...
Reckon we might see an Ogre Kingdoms horde appearing?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 04, 2016, 06:45:35 pm »

Wondering what races are going to make it into the finished game. Brettonia is happening, Wood elves and Kislev is almost a sure thing...
Reckon we might see an Ogre Kingdoms horde appearing?
Only if the map is expanded into the Dark Lands. Only ogres who leave that and the Mountains of Mourn are mercenaries (the maneaters). That said, I think they did claim all factions with armybooks were guaranteed to appear, so...

EDIT: I just noticed vampire corruption spreads from the cities and towards the province borders. That's cool.

MORE EDIT: Well, things are going down. The three chaos lords are already out of the wastes, the Empire is dead, Kislev is a single province and the Birdman has the field. Talabheim and Altdorf are my frontlines now, with everything north (save Bechafen, Kislev's one city (currently under siege)) being a ruin. Damn norscans are everywhere, and even though the dorfs, bretonnians, and southern humans hate me, everyone is focused on the spiky boyz. (Grimgor is fighting with the main dwarf faction in the south. Other beard-things are focusing on Archaon the Everslammer).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 08:11:51 pm by Teneb »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 277