Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507238 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #885 on: May 30, 2016, 12:36:28 pm »

My save is broken.  I'll have to pray there's a recent save, I think the last one was when I sacked castle bastonne, which was a few turns back and also before I confederated black venom, which'll surely take a hundred years to do again
Shoes...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 30, 2016, 01:32:53 pm »

I really hate the gods damned Norse. Whenever I try to turn my attention back to the Empire or Dwarves now that Archaon has been defeated forever I get a taste of what his invasion was like as a bunch of viking lunatics sweep into my realm to raze my settlements.

I've decided to launch a war to exterminate them once and for all. The hard part isn't beating them in fights, my armies are far superior, it's walking through their territory with no way to recover my losses unless I march all the way back to Troll Country. Even so I should be able to burn everything down in my latest assault. I have 2.5 armies all lead by powerful Lords shuffling forwards so they stay in reinforcement range of each other.

Do you not have access to the encamp stance? That would let me recover troops in enemy/attrition causing territory, last I checked.

I do have the Vampire version, but from what I remember of the last time I used it I still suffer attrition while using it.
If you are in the raiding stance you don't get attrition.

The problem with that is how slow it makes me.

I've made three major assaults into Norsca so far, first time I tried just going in without using any special stances. Got three settlements razed but kept getting leaders assassinated by enemy Heroes so I turned back to consolidate Troll Country. Second time I went in raiding stance, razed four settlements and then turned back because combat casualties were stacking up and it was taking ages to achieve anything.

Current run I've been alternating between marching stance and normal stance. It's working rather well, I cover the ground much faster than I would in raiding stance and I've razed most of Norsca now. Still a few places to burn and a lot of ground to cover, but I think I'll have the Norse wiped out in half a dozen turns or so.

EDIT: Finally finished off the Norse. Took longer than I had expected, if only because of how awkward it was to reach half their settlements.

Now I can focus on the Dwarves and Empire, the former of which declared war on me lately, presumably to pay me back for some severe damage I caused them some 200 turns ago. The Dwarves have managed to destroy the Greenskins faction, and driven all other Orcs save the Top Knotz into extinction, they occupy over 30 settlements and are one of the only races with the morale to stand up to me once their leaders are dead. This should be fun, been a while since I fought the stunties. :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 03:51:57 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 30, 2016, 04:15:19 pm »

By the way, for the guy who asked earlier. I've had decent success with the Proper Combat mod in making battles longer. In this case it makes battles so long that I actually had to up the battle time limit from 20 minutes to 40 minutes.

I have some problems with it, such as how walking speeds are so incredibly slow, but overall I like these way longer fights. It also combos great with the magic boosts.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 30, 2016, 05:53:48 pm »

I just completed the short and long campaigns for Greenskins simultaneously. Took me so long to kill chaos that basically everything else had already been zilched.

Dat Waagh mechanic though. Sniped the main dwarf faction within 10 turns of gameu starto.

Edit: Speaking of- for others who've played it, anybody notice that the 'Waaagh' fightiness drop disappears over time? I ended up having permanent pocket armies who hung around until they eventually died to attrition because they're idiot.

What would IMO be much more fun would be if you kept on gathering more units in an army (and potentially multiple armies) the more fighting you did, with the fightiness drop being cumulative. Gives you more incentive to steamroll instead of setting up a raiding camp in an uninhabited tile until you're 'k to continue on forever.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 06:08:35 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 30, 2016, 10:33:06 pm »

By the way, for the guy who asked earlier. I've had decent success with the Proper Combat mod in making battles longer. In this case it makes battles so long that I actually had to up the battle time limit from 20 minutes to 40 minutes.

I have some problems with it, such as how walking speeds are so incredibly slow, but overall I like these way longer fights. It also combos great with the magic boosts.

I'm actually sticking with Radious. Theres a submod that turns down the overly buffed Economy for those that don't like the "more armies" Gameplay. I've actually gotten to appreciate it. it just means more Battles in general, instead of just spending 30 turns autoresolving every damn thing. And Radious just improves so many things that I dont wanna opt out of it anymore.

For those interested, Radious also put out a Unit Pack. Adds Bloods Knights for the Vamps. And lots of new options for Orcs, for example Black Orcs with Shields (And thank Gork for that!) and other Infantry units. Also a high tier Arrer Boy unit, since they don't really have a high tier infantry ranged option beyond Nightgobs.

I have a really big issue with the game tough. One that drives me up the WALLS. And that's autoresolve just murdering Monsters, Lords and Elite units in general. I can literally not autoresolve as Chaos when I get Dragon ogres, Spawns or Chaos Giants, because the game just kills them off incredibly hard in Autoresolve.

I'm sure most of you will have noticed it. Your infantry is mostly fine after a big battle, but all your Lords/Heroes end up at like 30% hp. If you then autoresolve more battles, that would be incredibly easy normally, there's a good chacne the game just kills of your heroes / Shaggoths/ Giants if they're anywhere below 30%.

There are so many shit-tier battles I have to manual because autoresolve is just plain retarded when it comes to that kind of stuff. I mean, f*ck, Archaon has a 40% Wardsave, most combat upgrades and all of his Quest items, and the game manages to almost kill him off against an army made up of Marauders and Warhounds. And I had to replace some of my monstrous units so many times, just because the game kills them off with extreme Prejudice. How did noone during testing take note of that, and do something about it? Like an exclusion Tag for autoresolve, or just spreading the damage more evenly. It's infuriating.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 30, 2016, 11:24:11 pm »

It was the same for elephants in Rome 2/Attila. If you had a unit of elephants autoresolve was the same as committing elephant genocide even if you were much stronger than the army you faced

The battle calculations are screwy and heavily penalize any unit that is tiny in number...no matter how powerful.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 30, 2016, 11:57:58 pm »

These magic mods I got, and I tried avoiding all the OP ones. Got all the ones in the thread that was listed yesterday, plus a couple others. Nothing that actually affects Balthasar. And nothing that made magic godlike. I don't really like cheat mods. But wow, Balthasar just does some serious as hell damage. Only sorta OP mods I actually got were the ones that made a bunch of the legendary lords (mostly the main ones, no balthasar one and some others haven't been made yet) a lot stronger, but they still can die easily if misused.

Was doing custom battles, and I realized as vampires going up against empire...somehow my vamp lord (the main leader) was getting taken out in a matter of seconds and before I knew it he was dead before I even knew what was going on. The empire mages are of course a lot more powerful, but not so much they take a modded buffed up vampire lord out in that quick of time.

Realized, it was Balthasar. So I tried him out to figure out what was going on...and he lays some serious as hell damage. Taking out units like crazy with his magic. Can do some serious damage to other lords. He still can die very easily though. But talk about a glass cannon lol.

Dunno if I like that too much, he is kinda too strong. But, on the other hand, he still dies really quick. And there isn't really a glass cannon kinda legendary lord in the game from the ones I played. Guess its balthasar now lol. And playing vampires (my current guys I've been practicing with), I can take him out pretty easily with my flying units, before he does his damage. He is pretty weak when I send in all my flying units at him. Still seems a bit easy though, but I'll see. None of the mods really actually even change him, its just the magic buffs all around. So a lot of magic is actually a lot stronger, which it was WAY too weak before (due to not scaling with unit size) and the AI can take advantage of the magic too anyway.

Haven't really chosen an actual faction to stick with. Its come down to Empire or Vampires. Empire I really enjoy on the campaign, and I like their units. Its fun being humans going up against monsters and giants that are way huger than you (got a mod that makes some monsters REALLY huge). But vampire is a ton of fun as well, and I can slowly expand and spread corruption which is a fun mechanic. Really hard choice. And I'd rather stick with one campaign game, not two...so its really which I want to do first. But haven't decided yet. Mostly just been having fun with custom battles and practicing.

Empire for me, I mostly like just because its so much fun being mostly normal humans going up against a harsh monstrous world. And their mages are pretty fun to use, even without mods. I mean, you got vampires, greenskins, chaos and all kinds of other races (that aren't included yet) and giant monstrous units...and then little humans lol.

And vampires are fun cause undead :P and its nice I can expand really slow as them and take my time, and play defensively. Which really matches my play style.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:01:02 am by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 31, 2016, 12:05:21 am »

Yeah, it sucks cause most of the remainder of this campaign is gonna be steamrolling armies that aren't even a quarter of my size, and I can no longer autoresolve those battles cause all my giant units are at like 10% HP after a few rounds.
Shoes...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 31, 2016, 08:23:07 am »

In my experience it's even worse with Slayers. Autoresolve kills slayers, every time.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 31, 2016, 11:37:10 am »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 31, 2016, 11:44:03 am »

That is scandalous show of the sexy slave of slaanesh. Shiny and Shameless.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 31, 2016, 01:34:21 pm »

I did enjoy that mission, yes. Although it was quite difficult.

Speaking of difficult, tried to play a Legendary campaign as Dwarfs.
It didn't happen. Thrice now, it has failed to happen. All dwarfs hate me. It's almost unbearably difficult, especially as I managed to play Rome 1|2 and Shogun on legendary and nail 'em all.

I'm gonna give it one more try before I give up in shame and uninstall.

Edit: Six tries later, I pulled it off. Turns out it's just trial and error on the RNG of having a specific orkhold build something other than defenses, and also having your ally not die early.
In true scumfashion I now have that turn 40 save squared away in case things go belly-up.

Interesting note- with how volatile other nations are in this, consolidation is an awful idea, because it gives a rolling -10 diplomacy to all other factions- which is enough to get declared war on by your fellow man.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 07:08:55 pm by Tack »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 31, 2016, 07:47:14 pm »

Still looking for a decent playthrough. Pretty sure I just saw some serious shit, but I wanted to check in and make sure this wasn't some kind of deep and faintly unfathomable strategy I just don't get because I haven't played.

Dude was playing dwarf campaign. Razed the Pillars of Grugni on turn 3. Didn't even hesitate, just saw the options and burnt it to the ground.

I immediately stopped watching, but... was that somehow a good idea?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 31, 2016, 09:48:10 pm »

Still looking for a decent playthrough. Pretty sure I just saw some serious shit, but I wanted to check in and make sure this wasn't some kind of deep and faintly unfathomable strategy I just don't get because I haven't played.

Dude was playing dwarf campaign. Razed the Pillars of Grugni on turn 3. Didn't even hesitate, just saw the options and burnt it to the ground.

I immediately stopped watching, but... was that somehow a good idea?
SurrealBeliefs has good lets plays.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 31, 2016, 10:44:25 pm »

Mentioned checking them above a bit. I'd... kinda' disagree, heh. Thing I'm looking for more than anything is just a lack of blisteringly bad decision making, somewhere or another. SB didn't really meet that requirement, or at least their attempt at vampire counts didn't. Maybe 'is LPs are good by some metric or another, but they're not by the ones I'm evaluating by.

This'un's actually the least offensive I've found so far, at least dwarf wise, I think. They're still not particularly good, by any means, but they're not having quite so many moments that are painful to watch (to me, who can't play the game, anyway), and they're not particularly blatantly/constantly absentminded. Still's hurt in places, but... bearably.

... my standards have been steadily eroding since I started looking for LPs some days ago. I think I'm learning that Total War is... apparently a really bad franchise for LPs, competence wise.

Still, thanks for th'rec regardless. S'appreciated, even if I've already checked 'em.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 277