Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507350 times)

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #780 on: May 26, 2016, 08:38:29 am »

I really hope a mod comes out soon that makes damage spells useful though.

Don't need to mod the game for that. Just reduce the Unit Size setting (In Graphics) to low or medium and your spells will do more damage. The game doesn't increase magic damage when you increase unit size and a unit's health is based of the number of men in it. Same Damage + Increased Health = Weak Damage Spells. I'm running on Ultra at the moment, so damage spells are basically worthless and buff spells can turn 5 basic swordsman units into space marines.

You can see more about it here.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 26, 2016, 12:03:22 pm »

I really hope a mod comes out soon that makes damage spells useful though.

Don't need to mod the game for that. Just reduce the Unit Size setting (In Graphics) to low or medium and your spells will do more damage. The game doesn't increase magic damage when you increase unit size and a unit's health is based of the number of men in it. Same Damage + Increased Health = Weak Damage Spells. I'm running on Ultra at the moment, so damage spells are basically worthless and buff spells can turn 5 basic swordsman units into space marines.

You can see more about it here.
I'd rather cut off my own dick than reduce unit sizes in Total War.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 26, 2016, 08:44:23 pm »

I posted this on other forums, but TW:W makes me actually really concerned about the future of TW, precisely because of how much of a refreshing change of pace this was.

See, when TW:W was announced and people got upset because it was "fantasy crap" or whatever, CA was quick to assure people that they were still working on historical IPs, and that this would be headed by a different team. What that essentially means is, it's possible CA didn't infact learn any lessons from R2 and Attilla, and the improvements we see are isntead the result of a fresh faced group of devs looking at things from another angle. And since TW:W was confirmed to be a trilogy, that experince may not filter to the historical team for quite awhile.

That said, I'm loving this, AI's doing fairly well in battles tactically compared to previous games. I've seen them properly flank, do scouting runs when I've hidden before pulling back, be annoying assholes with cavalry, and so on. I've also seen them lose their shit and just break and spazz in place, but that happened all of once in my 30 hours so far, so I'll let it slide.  Light Wizards are just pain machines, and tbh I've always been wishing for a rennisance era TW, and the Empire scratches that itch well enough. Seiges are meh because the one wall thing, but from a mechanical standpoint I can see why they did it, as the post wall part of seiges were always just a horrible streetgrinder where you sat at max speed waiting for your units to eventually break the baddies. Same with town battles, I do prefer the field battles to them, but it would've been nice if the town was at least in the background just past the battle border.

Also nice to see units finally have weight and momentum again. Having lines actually crash into each other isntead of blend together like a bunch of bouncy balls is great fun.

Agents are still awful, but that's been the deal since at least Rome 1, so I've just given up on it. Least I can train them by having them battle instead now so I don't have to assassin fail grind.

Can't wait for Brettonia, which is all but confirmed to be the FreeLC faction they've promised, as there are bits and peices of campign files still in the game build, such as diplomatic response messages for a Brettonian player, plus of course the fact they have a unique roster already.

So in conclusion, both reasonably looking forward to the inevitable DLC and the rest of the Warhammer Total War Trilogy, but at the same time concerned about the future of the historical games as a whole.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 26, 2016, 08:48:32 pm »

Can't wait for Brettonia, which is all but confirmed to be the FreeLC faction they've promised, as there are bits and peices of campign files still in the game build, such as diplomatic response messages for a Brettonian player, plus of course the fact they have a unique roster already.
Not all but confirmed, outright confirmed.

I was wondering why the Kislev ruler was not the Tsarina, but then I remembered they got no female generals, or even diplomatic voice lines to slap on the fully-armoured model.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 26, 2016, 09:04:43 pm »

On some maps you can see the town in the background, it's just usually far enough away it's just the silhouette.
Shoes...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 26, 2016, 09:13:10 pm »

I really want everything east of the mountains to appear already.
What's the chances they'll end up putting that in? Because Ogre Kingdoms. And also Elves sure maybe.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 26, 2016, 09:15:20 pm »

There's also the fact that GW keeps trying to pretend Kislev doesn't exist. I don't even think they even ever got an army book in WHFB.

As to east of the mountains, smart money would be on the New World being the second game in the triology, as it's the one containing the other Major Races that aren't already on the Old World map, ie Lizards, Amazonians, and High/Dark Elves. But as to weather they'd go east or south for the third one is anyone's guess.

Lastly fuck Marienburg. Literally everything they do was to vex me. My first empire campaign they ran off to Brettonia and refused to help with Chaos. This time they managed to let the starter empire Orcs (Skullcrushas) retake that little settlement to their west, and thus the greenskins have a full stack now. If it wasn't for their absurd port I'd just raze the city when I took it from them this time, I hate them that much.,

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 26, 2016, 09:39:13 pm »

I really want everything east of the mountains to appear already.
What's the chances they'll end up putting that in? Because Ogre Kingdoms. And also Elves sure maybe.
To the east are the Darklands. There are four things there: Skaven (though they are everywhere), Greenskins, Chaos Dwarfs (hats!), and Ogres (fat mongols!).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 26, 2016, 09:49:04 pm »

I'm really enjoying how different each faction plays. I'm used to spamming the heaviest things I can and crushing everything underfoot (most of my experience comes from the Romes), but this requires some idea of what you're going up against, and proper planning. It helps that the AI can actually use some form of tactics now. Really liking how Chaos plays. I didn't get Atilla, so the closest I have to Horde experience is Barbarian Invasion for Rome 1.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 26, 2016, 09:52:18 pm »

So, tried out Vampires. I tend to play really slow in strategy games (well any game actually, even RPGs I take my time. Literally took me around 800 hours to beat Skyrim's main quest rofl.) Tycoon/city builder games I build up so slow (it took me 50 or so hours in Cities Skylines to get a 10k pop city lol. I just like to sit back and relax).

And chaos.

Yeah, they appear vastly too fast. It also didn't help that I actually didn't like playing Vampires as much as I thought I would. However, I have one game as Chaos (they are tons of fun, and I didn't even like any Horde nation in Attila, so they made chaos a lot more fun than in attila), Greenskins (they are my 2nd favorite) and Dwarves (by far my favorite race currently in the game, but their book of grudges is kinda annoying. Greenskins mechanic is a lot more fun to me).

Attila horde I thought appeared at a much better time. He didn't appear so fast it felt like I have to blitz everything like I'm playing one of those league of legend strategygames (blitzing is my least favorite thing to do), but he appeared not so far down the line that I was already really strong (this is speaking of playing as Western Roman Empire), so he still posed a challenge

Luckily there is this mod

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?731027-Delaying-Chaos-invasion

It feels like playing Attila with it and dealing with Attila's horde, and if you follow the steam link, there is an even slower speed that he made as well. My next game will be with the even slower speed, but also with Dresden's 2x build and research time. So chaos will appear a lot further, but it will still take more time to do stuff so I won't be OP.

There is of course a lot of mods for 1 turn stuff. Guess a lot of people like to blitz. But personally, I prefer really long, drawn out games. So I think adding the even slower speed and Dresden's mods (can find his stuff on steam workshop), will make the game a lot more fun. Plus add that mod where AI can't spam agents (though I'm kinda waiting to see if a mod just doesn't make an agent limit, cause I still like them using agents and I'd want to be limited to)

But for the races themselves. Only race I probably won't play is Empire, cause...chaos, dwarves and greenskins are better :P I can pretty much play empire in a different total war game lol. But for dwarves/greenskins, I kinda find them equally fun, but Dwarves just edge out a bit since their units are so deadly (balance changes in the future might change that) and I like to play defensive and get tons of money, which Dwarves are all about.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 26, 2016, 10:10:10 pm »

So, tried out Vampires. I tend to play really slow in strategy games (well any game actually, even RPGs I take my time. Literally took me around 800 hours to beat Skyrim's main quest rofl.) Tycoon/city builder games I build up so slow (it took me 50 or so hours in Cities Skylines to get a 10k pop city lol. I just like to sit back and relax).

And chaos.

Yeah, they appear vastly too fast. It also didn't help that I actually didn't like playing Vampires as much as I thought I would. However, I have one game as Chaos (they are tons of fun, and I didn't even like any Horde nation in Attila, so they made chaos a lot more fun than in attila), Greenskins (they are my 2nd favorite) and Dwarves (by far my favorite race currently in the game, but their book of grudges is kinda annoying. Greenskins mechanic is a lot more fun to me).

Attila horde I thought appeared at a much better time. He didn't appear so fast it felt like I have to blitz everything like I'm playing one of those league of legend strategygames (blitzing is my least favorite thing to do), but he appeared not so far down the line that I was already really strong (this is speaking of playing as Western Roman Empire), so he still posed a challenge

Luckily there is this mod

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?731027-Delaying-Chaos-invasion

It feels like playing Attila with it and dealing with Attila's horde, and if you follow the steam link, there is an even slower speed that he made as well. My next game will be with the even slower speed, but also with Dresden's 2x build and research time. So chaos will appear a lot further, but it will still take more time to do stuff so I won't be OP.

There is of course a lot of mods for 1 turn stuff. Guess a lot of people like to blitz. But personally, I prefer really long, drawn out games. So I think adding the even slower speed and Dresden's mods (can find his stuff on steam workshop), will make the game a lot more fun. Plus add that mod where AI can't spam agents (though I'm kinda waiting to see if a mod just doesn't make an agent limit, cause I still like them using agents and I'd want to be limited to)

But for the races themselves. Only race I probably won't play is Empire, cause...chaos, dwarves and greenskins are better :P I can pretty much play empire in a different total war game lol. But for dwarves/greenskins, I kinda find them equally fun, but Dwarves just edge out a bit since their units are so deadly (balance changes in the future might change that) and I like to play defensive and get tons of money, which Dwarves are all about.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: May 26, 2016, 10:31:33 pm »

One thing that's been bugging me is I'm big on heavy cavalry, always played France in Medieval 2, but it seems like none of the factions I've played have much in the way of early heavy cavalry.  I haven't tried empire or dwarves yet but I can't imagine dwarves have any and I've never seen the humans using it.  It makes chasing a lot harder too.  Armies are really hard to permanently put down, and if you don't finish off that crippled army he's just gonna run a doomstack out and use what's left of that army to pull it into a reinforcement battle.
Shoes...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 26, 2016, 10:58:22 pm »

There's not really early heavy cavalry for any of the factions. Empire have Pistoleers as early cavalry but they're ranged and not for melee since they have low leadership. Marauder Horsemen are better at melee but they're not heavily armoured. Bretonnia have the closest with the mounted yeoman but Bretonnia aren't playable yet.

Orcs have boarboys which are heavy cavalry but I don't know how early they can get them. There's also chariots for Chaos and Orcs that are used as heavy charge units. Chaos chariots are a pain to deal with since they have good health and armour.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:42 pm »

There's not really early heavy cavalry for any of the factions. Empire have Pistoleers as early cavalry but they're ranged and not for melee since they have low leadership. Marauder Horsemen are better at melee but they're not heavily armoured. Bretonnia have the closest with the mounted yeoman but Bretonnia aren't playable yet.

Orcs have boarboys which are heavy cavalry but I don't know how early they can get them. There's also chariots for Chaos and Orcs that are used as heavy charge units. Chaos chariots are a pain to deal with since they have good health and armour.

Empire have Reiksguard, which very much fit the bill, and can be gotten somewhat early (turn 40ish) if you rush them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 26, 2016, 11:00:45 pm »

Grimgor starts with a unit of boarboys.  They seem to be pretty weak in sustained fights though and it's harder to disengage in this so they can't bounce across a line as easily as they could in the older games.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 277