Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507616 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #300 on: October 24, 2015, 10:12:40 am »

Shogun 2 didn't even have a powerful campaign either, it just relied on REALM DIVIDE in order to thrust back at you hard and make diplomacy needlessly painful.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 24, 2015, 10:37:00 am »

Yeah, the shitty diplomacy really grind my gears. Oh you are a one province minor state and you want to attack me because I'm a great empire instead of say, accepting the non-aggression and trade agreement I offer because I could crush you like a bug? Just stupid bullshit. At least Warhamster is filled with grimdark idiocy anyway, so idiotic diplomacy fits the genre.

I really think Total Wars are partially stagnant, only improving on graphics and similar surface, because they have no competition. If there was at least some competition with ideas of their own, it would force them to innovate and progress. Now they are content being the big fish in their small pond without any challengers.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 24, 2015, 11:10:35 am »

Yeah, the shitty diplomacy really grind my gears. Oh you are a one province minor state and you want to attack me because I'm a great empire instead of say, accepting the non-aggression and trade agreement I offer because I could crush you like a bug? Just stupid bullshit. At least Warhamster is filled with grimdark idiocy anyway, so idiotic diplomacy fits the genre.

I really think Total Wars are partially stagnant, only improving on graphics and similar surface, because they have no competition. If there was at least some competition with ideas of their own, it would force them to innovate and progress. Now they are content being the big fish in their small pond without any challengers.

You forgot the part where the AI cheats and this minor state suddenly sends up three full stacks against you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 24, 2015, 01:13:13 pm »

I found there was little to no point making alliances or vassals in Shogun 2, because on harder difficulties they'd betray you as soon as someone declared war on you; you'd just get a cascade of everyone at once declares war and you get dogpiled.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 24, 2015, 01:17:52 pm »

To be fair, I have yet to see a strategy game with a Ai that wasnt stupid in some way or the other. Total War's AI is at least functional. And there's a limit on how much you can do before you have to take out huge chunks out of other areas. AI programming is really hard and takes a lot of time. And at the end of the day, it still follows set patterns which the player can abuse once he catches wind of them.

My biggest issue with the series, since around Empire ToW, has been the subpar Quality the games come out in, before being patched into shape. Paradox also pulls that sh*t, but at least they have the excuse of being a comparetively small studio. But CA has absolutely no right to deliver games like Empire, Napoleon or Rome 2 in the state they were in. Rome was GARBAGE on release. Unoptimized, buggy, slow. The DLC was also really fking lazy, because there are around 3 archetypes of factions in Rome, Barbarians, romans and miscelanous. And for each DLC they just took the standard units of that archetype, gave them one or two special units, and a faction trait. Voila, 10 bucks please. You can get way better expansions via Mods. It's the same thing like with Elder Scrolls. Where the base game makes you lukewarm at best, and has to be patched, modded and whatnot before you can actually enjoy it.

I can deal with Pre-Order and DLC in general, it's becoming the norm either way. But then the game needs to be in top order once it comes out. It needs to be optimized, bugs need to be the exception, and the DLC needs to be something that actually ADDS to the game, and isnt just the same car with a different color.
It would be a boon if the industry in general takes some pointers from Witcher 3 in this regard. But as was established, CA has no competitors in the field. Especially now that it's WARHAMMER Total War.

The only hope I have, Rome 2 was a mess on release. There was a big sh*tstorm and a lot of complaints and appearantly quite a few refunds. I'm pressing my thumbs that they want to avoid something like that again, and thus put a little more effort into hammering the game into shape, before it comes out.

PS: The diplomacy in Shogun 2 was a little weird due to Realm Divide, sure. But I had no problems with it before hand. The AI gauged their strength against mine and usually acted accordingly.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 24, 2015, 05:18:52 pm »

Concerning release problems, CA at least seems to have learned from Rome 2 about that, as Attila had few big problems on release and they were patched pretty fast. So there's hope on that front.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 24, 2015, 07:40:01 pm »

Yes with Rome they had to do 2 releases...I always consider the first one to be a beta release

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 24, 2015, 11:51:45 pm »

Concerning release problems, CA at least seems to have learned from Rome 2 about that, as Attila had few big problems on release and they were patched pretty fast. So there's hope on that front.

I dont count Attila, because Attila was basically Rome 2 2.0. They allready had the stuff they needed, the big issues in Rome 2 were allready fixed and it was basically what Rome SHOULD have been on Release. It says absolutely nothing about their Release Policy, except that they took our money twice before actually handing out a decent game.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 26, 2015, 05:02:29 am »

Eh, I still always got my money worth in gameplay and time out of any total war game. Still hoping for a sale and really not expecting much more from then then I would from a well made mod.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 03, 2015, 11:37:57 am »

While there has been a number of announcements and videos since the last but none of them seemed major enough to warrant an update to this thread.

A new gameplay video has been released, covering the campaign map and the Greenskins along with information about lord skill trees and items, the "Fightiness" system for the Greenskins, how the Legendary Lord quest lines work on the campaign map, as well as how armies can move underground.

There's also some flybys of Bretonnia, Sylvania, Border Princes, and Norsca. A bit of a mention too of a corrupt land system for the Vampire Counts.

The game is looking quite nice. There is a good attention to detail with settlements changing style if they're captured by Dwarves or Greenskins, areas of the map that influence battles as well as a wide variety of terrain types for battles to take place in.

Other things that were released in the meantime:
Empire Army List
Night Goblin introduction video
Grimgor Ironhide Campaign Trailer

As an addition, since it is still a rather large issue with the game itself, there is a article on Eurogamer with a short response from CA about the negative feedback from the Chaos Warrior pre-order DLC announcement.
A rather important note in the article is as follows:

"It all comes down to trust. Eurogamer, along with other publications (and those dastardly YouTubers), will be in a position to review and talk about the game ahead of launch. The embargo, we've been told, will lift prior to the game's release date. If you're wary of pre-ordering the game, we'd suggest you wait until that happens."

While CA's response is rather neutral, saying they'll look to change the practice for future games, the allowance for reviews to be released before the game's release rather then an embargo until after release will hopefully give people food for thought on whether it will be worth to pre-order or not.
Whether I do or not will probably depend on the price I can buy it before release. JB Hifi here in Australia tends to be cheapest so I'll be looking towards that. There is also the issue of performance and bugs that will hopefully be addressed by the pre-release reviews.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 03, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »

I will play it, but I won't buy it.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 03, 2015, 12:14:24 pm »

Why are people so proud to announce this in a public place?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 03, 2015, 02:17:41 pm »

Because they're sticking it to the man! Take that, corporate!
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 03, 2015, 02:54:11 pm »

They're also risking trouble for/from Toady. You aren't supposed to be quite so open about illegal activities here, lest you get warned, muted, or banhammered :V
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 03, 2015, 03:42:49 pm »

They're also risking trouble for/from Toady. You aren't supposed to be quite so open about illegal activities here, lest you get warned, muted, or banhammered :V

Maybe he will get it as a gift? ...Christmas is coming.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 277