Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507409 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2015, 12:50:53 am »

Which in a very roundabout way, sounds good. Remember that I have literally spent a couple of thousand dollars on tiny little plastic figurines, and chop-job remodeled them, and painted them badly.

So I will admit my view of DLC for WH:TW is both completely jaded, yet also optimistic on how cheap it will be. Got out of the damn TT game years too late. But with the coolest original Ninja Goblins ever. 8)

So in saying that, I could only assume that Skarsnik's horde of Nine Peaks, or the Wolf Hordes from the East under Oglah Khan, the Forest Goblins and their spiders, or even the Savages from the South, would all play very differently from Mr Big Blackork. Not only on the units, abilities and uprades for them, nor the resources, goals or the outlooks of their generals, but almost as entirely different races inside the basic race in the original box.

Campaign options aplenty. And this is from the "stoopid orc" race.

No different from different bloodlines of the vampire families, or in some ways, different outlooks for the Dwarf Holds, against the Empire or everyone else. Total War perhaps, but in many forms, even of peace. No-one really likes each other much in Warhammer, not even different groups of the same race.

I can see me spending about $30-60 a year on DLCs if they do it well. Campaigns, multiplayer options, and different things to fight for, as well as ways of fighting for them. Full races too as DLC, and mammoth campaign options, as well as multiplayer campaigns. But mini-races and generals leading them sounds like fun actually. As long as they're different enough to each other. What would Skarsnik want compared to "filler BO"? And just how would the Skaven view a grab on more territory from the Empire or the Dwarves? They may actually like there being more tunnels dug around, for future infestation and the search for Warpstone. The Elves care little for either, but nor do they for Gromril or Warpstone. Most of them at least. Yet keeping the Dwarves mining or fighting in tunnels for the Underway and their outposts, so the Elvish ambassadors can influence the Humans freely, is always handy. Let them fight for rocks and dirt against one another, the filth, while hearts and minds are swayed, through sheer force of corrupting magic if need be.

Much can be done with DLC.

And so we shall see.

I'll never spend another cent on WHFB. But a decent game based on it? Yeah, I could do that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:37:08 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2015, 02:37:50 am »

Well well well, just over a month later and we've got some screenshots of "Total War: Warhammer".

We've got Orcs and Goblins vs the Empire all apparently fighting outside of a dwarven karak with Grimgor and Karl Franz flying about on their winded mounts.
Trolls, giants, orcs, halbediers, greatswords, demigriffs, warrior priests, and I can see some cannons in the background of the aerial combat screenshot. I think there's also an orc shaman in the lower left corner of the same image, to the left of the 3 trolls. There's also some arrer boys towards the bottom.

Edit: Here is another link to an article detailing the game to go along with the screenshots.

Edit of an edit: Some other things to note from an article published by Polygon:
- Winds of Magic vary in strength depending on where you fight.
- Mages and hero types are gained through missions and act like agents in previous games. So they can be attached to an army or go off to perform assassinations or the like.
- No concept of time. In previous Total War games the turn counter has been close to half a year each turn. In "Total War: Warhammer" it seems like turns won't be measured in half years so characters like Karl Franz won't age and pass away.
- Apparently there will be some aspects of diplomacy.
"It's still very much a sandbox game. You can do whatever you want. If you want to make friends with the Greenskins, you can. There are diplomatic options there for you. But we're going to make it harder. We're going to keep it close to the lore, because generally they would talk to each other, but they'd never really be friends. As we're a sandbox, though, we're going to let you do stuff like that."
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:26:12 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2015, 07:31:47 am »

Sounds promising so far. Flying units, monsters, wizards etc. seem like they'll be a pretty radical addition. More dynamic and changing battles, yes.

And damn if it doesn't look lovely - I only hope they bring back the Empire/Shogun 2 personal camera mode, instead of the boring Rome 2 hover cam. I wanna see puny humans crushed by Orcs in first person, damnit!

EDIT: One more article.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 08:08:14 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2015, 08:32:13 am »

That article makes more mention of how the agent missions will work. Apparently every now and then agents or your faction leader will get battles to fight with a reward if you win. I get the feeling these are extra battles beyond the campaign map. The example given describes the "Battle of Blackfire Pass" for Karl Franz. Empire vs Orcs and if won Karl gets to wield Ghal Maraz (Sigmar's warhammer). I would assume he wields a runefang until then.

I like the idea. Warhammer Fantasy has "historical" battles against foes and it would be an entertaining way to include them in the general gameplay.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2015, 09:20:00 am »

If those are real combat screens then I am very happy to see the scale of giants and structures in the background. I was worried it was gonna be some squished in thing where things like giants were just a little "bigger".

Also I like the lean towards RPG aspects with the leaders and special units

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2015, 09:21:02 am »

What about fear mechanics and the like? Will goblins still fear elves and then like?
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2015, 09:38:41 am »

I'm still devastated at the lack of Skaven in the base game... not sure I can get in to it without my beloved rats.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2015, 09:44:55 am »

Can't give you everything all at once...all them DLC need enticing reasons to be bought.

On the flip side...if you want to try and be optimistic...they did mention there are other factions they haven't mentioned yet

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2015, 09:47:47 am »

Can't give you everything all at once...all them DLC need enticing reasons to be bought.

On the flip side...if you want to try and be optimistic...they did mention there are other factions they haven't mentioned yet
Oh did they? I thought they already announced all the at-launch factions. *fingers crossed*

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2015, 09:53:02 am »

Creative Assembly isn’t talking about the dwarf or undead armies yet, and definitely not the much-hinted at Chaos army. The most I could get out of Ian Roxburgh, Project Lead, was “There’s a smattering of other minor races, which we’re not talking about yet, but they occupy the world as well. There’s not just four different races and that’s all.”

That was a little blurp just on the side of the article...not really in the article

I am sure they simply announced the playable races and left it at that

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2015, 10:02:30 am »

Oh did they? I thought they already announced all the at-launch factions. *fingers crossed*
It is likely it'll be DLC. The game's different from other Total Wars because there are quite a few nonhumans in the game, animations and such need to be made for them. An ork can't use human animations. Skaven even less.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:25 am »

yeah the article stated they are using 30 different skeletons...as opposed to the usual 5 or 6 of older total war games

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2015, 10:14:44 am »

From what I understand, at release we will see 4 races as playable: Orcs and Goblins, Empire, Dwarves and Vampire Counts. The article mentions that other races will be present on the map but not playable.

While I too am not that enthused about buying faction packs, since they have already stated that the various races will play differently (there was a part in one article that mentioned that the Orcs will have a mechanic that encourages being at war and fighting to increase unit production, being at peace will incur penalties and animosity) the extra time after release put in to flesh out the extra races will assumedly manifest itself in more race specific mechanics.
Seeing Skaven with some mechanic like improving their magic if you complete missions to hunt down new mines of warpstone or having to make regular donations to the council of 13 to retain usage of clan specific units would help make them stand out more.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2015, 10:25:40 am »

From what I understand, at release we will see 4 races as playable: Orcs and Goblins, Empire, Dwarves and Vampire Counts. The article mentions that other races will be present on the map but not playable.

While I too am not that enthused about buying faction packs, since they have already stated that the various races will play differently (there was a part in one article that mentioned that the Orcs will have a mechanic that encourages being at war and fighting to increase unit production, being at peace will incur penalties and animosity) the extra time after release put in to flesh out the extra races will assumedly manifest itself in more race specific mechanics.
Seeing Skaven with some mechanic like improving their magic if you complete missions to hunt down new mines of warpstone or having to make regular donations to the council of 13 to retain usage of clan specific units would help make them stand out more.
Skaven are also a primarily underground force, they'd have to mimic that somehow.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2015, 02:30:47 pm »

(there was a part in one article that mentioned that the Orcs will have a mechanic that encourages being at war and fighting to increase unit production, being at peace will incur penalties and animosity)

That's one thing that really interests me about this. Although Total war has always been about war, there's always been sort of 'peace time' whereas warhammer is like 100% war. all the time.

I
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 277