Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507453 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #435 on: March 16, 2016, 12:33:01 pm »

I can't remember seeing any decent woods/forests in any of the games so far. Trees dotted about (even in the orc campaign), but no real defensive features, escarpments, anti-cav or flyer areas.

I wonder if black knights will have the spirit rider thingy (no terrain penalties) in the full game?

You'd think gob spiders would have it at least.

A decent terrain system with +/-'s to various units is all this really needs to be fun (much like normal Warhammer). But right now terrain seems to be hills with window dressing and the odd objective. It'll probably change before release though.
The latest games have super thick forests that make it so even you can barely see in them and cavalry move super slow as they have to constantly move around all the trees.

It might be tied to graphics options though. I remember hating to fight in forests simply because it was impossible to see anything. And in Shogun 2 multiplayer, I'd love the maps with the forests as I'd own any player trying to fight me in them (your archers and cannons have no power here!).

Edit: I had an AAR of an MP game involving fog and forests but the image host seems to have died.

I have this though:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's not the best representation, but if you look to the left you can see how dense the forests are. You can fight in them and completely lose track of everything.

Rome has it too, I remember because I'd do MP games with Bay12ers where we'd do nonsense like 10,000 dogs in a forest. Absolutely no idea what's going on.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 16, 2016, 05:40:04 pm »

Cool. Half of what Warhammer is to me is the very defined scenery and the effects of it on your troops. It'll probably only take a day or three for them to whip up a couple of hundred tree variations in Speedtree, so I assume proper forests will be in. Hopefully with wierd-arse chaos botanicals as well. And 'shrooms. Shrooms everywhere, all the colours of the rainbow.....

The giant trees in the test footage are probably just to show off how pretty the trees are up close (or scaled 2x-3x like they seem to be. They tower over everything). They are quite good, I must admit. Saves a tad on frame rate and AI as well.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 05:48:32 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2016, 09:16:09 pm »

Well there's another thing to the tree's for why they need to make sure they have proper tree types and such, considering there's an army that certainly makes good use of forest for magics and their troops.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 17, 2016, 04:35:02 am »

Not yet they don't. That's DLC.
It's a game. Have fun.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 17, 2016, 06:01:32 am »

Yes I do mean for later, getting such work in now would make much less work later.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 23, 2016, 05:39:55 pm »

Make love not war

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 24, 2016, 12:59:00 am »

Yes, there has been quite a deluge of videos recently. Here is a thread with a compilation of articles and videos.

The major points have been videos on siege battles between;

* Vampire Counts and Vampire Counts (Templehof siege)
*Vampire Counts and Dwarfs (Zhufbar)
*Vampire Counts and Orcs and Goblins (Karak Kadrin)

This shows the recently revealed new design of the siege battles as they will function in Warhammer: Total War. This being that sieges will be focused on a single angle of attack with a focus on wall fighting leading to capturing a control square.

From the reveal of siege battles earlier, I do like the styling of the sieges allowing for a grander scale of the city beyond the borders of the map. It helps make the cities seem much bigger than they actually are. I will say however, that looking at the battle maps I find it looks kind of odd having the full battle map with all the fighting conducted in a single corner. It doesn't seem like a very effective use of space.

I understand the space outside of the walls is for your army to start outside the range of the towers, but since all of the fighting is aimed to be on the walls, and I don't think the defenders will sally forth that often, it still seems kind of minimum change-ish? If all the fighting is taking place in 1/2 or 1/4 of the map, the rest of the map is a bit wasted, isn't it?
Sieges can apparently have different shapes to the walls, with small settlements having either no wall (Which leads to a field battle), small size wall (with the 1/4 corner wall like in the Templehof siege) or 1/2 wall on large settlements (like in Karak Kadrin).

One thing I've seem people mentioning a few times they'd like would be multiple walls to assault, like in Medieval 2: Total War where you have an outer wall and an inner wall. I remember the problems I had with those was manoeuvring siege equipment through the gates and streets to breach the inner walls but with the wider streets present in Warhammer: Total War maybe it could work better.

Moving on, there is also another campaign quest battle, The Amulet of Sea Gold between the Empire (player) and Vampire Counts (A.I.) with Balthazar Gelt as the legendary lord. This video shows off the empire troops as well as some lore of metal spells.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 03, 2016, 05:08:22 pm »

So I went through everything in the wiki here: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_WARHAMMER

Since I have nothing better to do, let's do some theorycrafting.

Empire:

Dwarfs:

Greenskins:

Vampire Counts:

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 03, 2016, 10:16:37 pm »

It will be interesting how well tactics from the tabletop translate into the game. The Dwarfs, for example, really lack manoeuvrability with no cavalry (Though, they do have the gyrocopters) so heavy cavalry should be a problem for them what with getting flanked. One thing I would like to know is whether they have the dwarfs ability to march within range of enemy units present.
(Explaination to Marching: In tabletop, units can either move, charge or march. Marching doubles their movement distance but prevents them from engaging. Usually, armies cannot march units within, I think, 4 inches of an enemy. Dwarfs can march regardless of how close they are to enemies).

Vampire Counts, I agree. Meat shields is something that is kind of difficult to do in games like this. Why spend points on a slow, weak unit when you could get something stronger and more useful? Summoning zombies in the way of an enemy charge to blunt it is one tactic I've seen. I think Vampire Counts will rely much more on mass routing the enemy than grinding in melee. Combined charges from fear and terror causing units will have a large effect on morale.
We've also seen some Etheral units with the Hexwraiths, mounted ghosts they cause Terror. Etheral reduces physical damage by 75% unless it's from magical weapons or attacks. It also allows them to ignore terrain movement effects.

I think the Witch Hunter's "Accuse" ability does extra damage to undead and chaos units. I believe in tabletop it lowers the defence of a single model.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 03, 2016, 11:37:30 pm »

I think the slow meat shield units would be helpful for tying down enemy units if nothing else.  If you are maneuvering around them to avoid them, the amazing cavalry they have should be able to take advantage if they leave themselves open.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 04, 2016, 01:26:53 am »

Yeah, even if they don't engage enemy units in melee, if enemy forces have to maneuverer around them that's still disrupting their plans. In tabletop, zombies have a rule (The Shambling Dead) which means enemies that disengage them take hits for every row of 5 but the zombies can't pursue fleeing units because they're slow.
Someone on the official forums did suggest they could be done like wardogs, in that they replenish their numbers after combat. Maybe, but it seems like they're very easy to recruit and raise more on the campaign map.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 04, 2016, 10:28:14 am »

I agree with the above, in that the whole point of zombies is to tie down units and be an annoyance. They should be pretty good in defensive sieges, but not so much in offensive ones.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 04, 2016, 12:26:44 pm »

Was it money or just immaturity? I mean, I kind of doubt it was the result of a big marketing team analyzing the target demographics and bla bla. Even if the games were shit, the production culture was different.
You seriously think there aren't games like that being made now?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 04, 2016, 03:19:07 pm »

I'm actually really, really interested to try out the vampire counts in battle. I really don't think there's been an army like them before in Total War.

Just imagining the summon zombies shit in battle gives me such a boner. It'll be like kisho ninja from Shogun... except there's hundreds of them.

Also all those heroes sound so oddball.  Please tell me that the Wight King is basically Skeleton (Baller King) King.

I hope all those meteor and fireball type spells can destroy buildings / walls.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 04, 2016, 06:52:54 pm »

Also all those heroes sound so oddball.  Please tell me that the Wight King is basically Skeleton (Baller King) King.
Wights are basically pre-Sigmar (so, ancient) skeletons brought to life, some of them (like Krell) former Warriors of Chaos. So yeah, pretty much a skeleton but better.

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 277